Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by rattis
Not hard to add it if they missed it. Go back to the threads about the last update and the problem that they had with the time zones. it tells you how to add additonal time zones to the 770. I know you'd rather have it be there stanard. I don't blame you.
An entry for every timezone and soon the whole memory is used up...

Oops, quote was an eye for an eye and soon the whole world is blind.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Simon
I've always wondered. I have had the 770 crash a couple of times plugging in headphones. Could have just been chance but it wouldn't do that if it was simply a headphone socket hanging of an audio amp.
On the Tungsten C, if the Voice Memo app is active the unit will energize if off when a headset is plugged in. Turns out the TC expects a Nokia headset (four conductor mini-plug). It would not surprise me if the 770 has an interrupt keyed to the jack--this would explain the crashes.

Originally Posted by Odin
On the Tungsten C, if the Voice Memo app is active the unit will energize if off when a headset is plugged in. Turns out the TC expects a Nokia headset (four conductor mini-plug). It would not surprise me if the 770 has an interrupt keyed to the jack--this would explain the crashes.
I wonder if you could hack that and use it for something useful. Some sort of switch or sensor hacked in through the audio port.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Simon
I wonder if you could hack that and use it for something useful.
Yes, it is already used for something very useful, the speaker is turned off and the audio is redirected into headphones ;-)

Sorry for bad joke, but I suppose most people don't recognize this is done purely in software in most electronics nowadays.

insert headphones and run 'dmesg' command in xterm and you will see something like:
[95015.988861] headphone (GPIO 14) is now connected
[95015.991119] headphone (GPIO 14) is now disconnected

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
WAY off topic: Howabout a battery powered keyboard that would plug into the audio jack and output sound of differing Hz depending on which key is pressed? (Software as well to decipher the input obviously)

Originally Posted by Hedgecore
WAY off topic: Howabout a battery powered keyboard that would plug into the audio jack and output sound of differing Hz depending on which key is pressed? (Software as well to decipher the input obviously)
What are they serving down your local pub???!! Just kidding!

Nice idea but whats wrong with the BT keyboard?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was thinking more of a thumb pad, if someone was great at fabrication, one that would 'dock' with the bottom of the 770. BT keyboards are way too big and the fact I visit the pub often makes me not want to figure out a FrogPad

yeah....BT keyboards are a bit big and it would be nice if someone invented something smaller but pub resistant! (something thats small yet able to be used even when you've been hitting the strongbow super)

BTW - Where's that damned update?? :

I don't have one, but the Freedom Mini BT KB is small (about the size of a credit card but thicker of course). And they are apparently making a second version, which is also about the size of a credit card but folds out. There are a few reviews up for the released version.

Here's the product page link:
Freedom Mini KB

Last edited by cobalt; 2006-06-02 at 21:22.

Nice!!

I didnt realise there were versions that were 'THAT' small!