Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I think there will still be an App Manager where we'll be able to add the Extas repository (and others).

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
No doubt about that, the question is whether you will be able to run Extras stuff *alongside* commercial software. You can always switch to Free mode by booting into the unsigned kernel (which is roughly what we have on Fremantle), but then you can't run the apps you bought (DRM funk)

^^
And its mentioned from Nokia multiple times that Maemo 6 will be fully compatible with DRM technologies..

I guess we wait and see what happens.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
What really bugs me is that ill probably have to use the open Kernel for OpenS apps (wich arent released via Ovi), wich means that ill either have to work ONLY with the open Kernel (wich should be possible since i can install the "closed" features like Powermanagement myself) or have to use a multiboot-system. Multiboot-systems are an absolute no-go for me in any productive System so this isnt helping.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Look at this way.

When MeeGo is released for the n900 we can then evaluate it and see how Nokia plan to use the DRM elements of the platform.

If I have to switch kernels by duel booting then my next MeeGo device will not be made by Nokia.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Actually, nobody guaranteed there WILL be a DRM supported version of MeeGo for the N900. The distribution/DRM thing is IMHO also one of the reasons why Nokia is hesitant about offering an 'official' MeeGo N900 release.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Heh... I don't think we'll hear anything about the DRM side of things until there are 'reasons' to want them. To lust for things protected by the DRM.

It's the same story on other platforms.. DRMs are the walls to protect the goodies within. Nobody wants to deal with DRM just for DRM's own sake.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
No doubt about that, the question is whether you will be able to run Extras stuff *alongside* commercial software. You can always switch to Free mode by booting into the unsigned kernel (which is roughly what we have on Fremantle), but then you can't run the apps you bought (DRM funk)
From what I remember on the presentation, I think the DRM was for certain things such as preventing you from say an unsigned kernel. So as long as the extras stuff doesn't do anything to interfere with the DRM then you would be able to run them alongside.

Though if this is the case I'm hoping someone will either crack the DRM or find a way to run the unsigned kernel yet still use DRM content. Unless they come up with an absurdly fast way to switch between DRM mode and DRM-free mode.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Inclusion of EA is a bit weird, but welcome

“As the #1 worldwide publisher of mobile games, EA Mobile is excited about MeeGo and how it will help us to more efficiently and economically bring our great games to consumers,” said Farshid Almassizadeh, VP Worldwide Operations, EA Mobile.
If ONLY that would mean EA would start releasing games for normal Linux!

Intel also demonstrated a cross platform toolkit for netbooks and handhelds. I suspect nokia will reveal their meego/symbian^4 cross platform toolkit as well.

For a developer who is recompiling, does this mean they would have to subscribe to the lowest denominator, or can optomization be done during recompiling...

I'd hate to see their tablet demographics handicapped by the mid-tier phone market.