Originally Posted by solarion View Post
My kingdom for a pipe! Seriously, that's the #1 annoyance on my n810. So much so that I went and bought a bluetooth keyboard. (Second up is lack of { and }; you're not properly lazy until you do that to save retyping a bunch of junk).
My N810 has a pipe key - that is FN+Z. there are also {}: by FN and ,. Tab is Chr+, and it is not the same as ctrl+I.

All it takes is a few tweaks to the file
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-44 .

On the N900 it will be more problematic, as there are less keys.

Can you post the part of the file which sets tab as Ctrl+,

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
I'm not sure about this, certainly Ctrl + l doesn't do this on my PC under Ubuntu.

Do you have to enable something for this to work?
If you're in a shell, try ctrl-v then ctrl-i

(in some contexts, ctrl-v has the meaning: take the next character literally.)

If you're in a different application, like wanting to press tab to cycle around input fields in a webpage, I think you'd be out of luck altogether with ctrl-i because input wouldn't go through the same keymapping process - e.g. in this edit box, I can use ctrl-i to put text in italics and ctrl-v is just paste.

No idea whether ctrl-v ctrl-i works in maemo's / N900's shell (maybe it would paste?) but it works here in centos's konsole.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
Wow, you really learn something every day with GNU/Linux, don't you.

In Ubuntu Ctrl-i works as tab on its own, in a terminal and console.

Have to explore this further.

Hmmm, even works in Emacs. Very surprising... :O)

Now to find out, where this is actually set?

Last edited by 白い熊; 2009-10-09 at 13:30.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
In Kubuntu Konsole, Ctrl-v Ctrl-i inputs a tab. This is news to me, too.

I'm still a bit unsure how the Fn+Symbol+key works. It says it "Enters special characters" in the N900 manual, but there is no third symbol on the keycaps and no guide in the manual to what "special characters" correspond with each key. Is this on a separate language-specific addendum somewhere?

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
It begins on page 22 of the manual. Thanks.

There really is NO tab key or key combination. I thought this was a linux computer. Pfft. :P

Otherwise the setup seems pretty good.
the manual has gone offline or is it just me? read it about 3h ago and now its not there but the server is reachable

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
You've broken it!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
the manual has gone offline or is it just me? read it about 3h ago and now its not there but the server is reachable
Gone for me too

Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Can you post the part of the file which sets tab as Ctrl+,
Not Ctrl, but Chr.

This part is a bit more complicated, since it comes with my modification of the Chr from a key that is used by the keyboard software to open a window with special keys, to a simple modifier like fn, shift, etc.

If you copy this file
http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/rx-44-he
to you directory /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/ and run the command

setxkbmap -symbols nokia_vndr/rx-44-he he1

then Chr-, will function as Tab key (for example for moving between fields in a dialog window).

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Yup, seems it's gone. The name was "Nokia_N900_Rover_en-US_es-LAM.pdf", and i noticed in the video showing the QT port that the prototype gadget's name was "rover". It may be that the manual was also a "prototype" and therefore they took it down. You might find a new one if you poke around--that one wasn't as trivial to find as i would have expected.