Originally Posted by Dax View Post
Is this question related to my post?

If yes, QtWebEngine's api are similar to QtWebKit's one, but there should be more things implemented/supported, the rendering engine is more recent, and, according to the information provided by Qt 5.5 roadmap, it is based on Blink shipped with Chromium 40.

But, I think that Sailfish OS 2.0 will be shipped with Qt 5.2 (there is an interesting topic on TJC) and there is no immediate plan to upgrade Qt.

Another option should be that they allow the usage of Gecko in 3rd party software (Mail application uses QtWebKit and it is vulnerable to FREAK and LogJam), so there is less fragmentation and makes the system safer.
cheers for the reply, am using webpirate and the rendering feels clunky and slow to me. Now that could be because of a bug with the Nexus 5 where browsers do ****. Or it could be because in general webkit feels clunky.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
cheers for the reply, am using webpirate and the rendering feels clunky and slow to me. Now that could be because of a bug with the Nexus 5 where browsers do ****. Or it could be because in general webkit feels clunky.
Well, "clunky" is not a technical term, but I know what you mean. I use WebCat on a proper Jolla every now and again and rendering feels clunky/unstable in comparison to the stock browser. Same on desktop FWIW.

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Well, "clunky" is not a technical term, but I know what you mean. I use WebCat on a proper Jolla every now and again and rendering feels clunky/unstable in comparison to the stock browser. Same on desktop FWIW.
cant think of a technical term to fit lol. But either way i assume thats the fault of the webkit module

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
cant think of a technical term to fit lol. But either way i assume thats the fault of the webkit module
It's google's fault. We should never use that technology ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
But, I think that Sailfish OS 2.0 will be shipped with Qt 5.2 (there is an interesting topic on TJC) and there is no immediate plan to upgrade Qt.
On development mailing list, it was said that they will be moving to QtMultimedia 5.5 (to support gstreamer 1). Does that not mean a complete move to 5.5? I have to admit to not (yet) having looked into how the qt stuff fits together - esp. across versions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Italy
Mmmmmh, yes, QtMultimedia 5.5 seems to be shipped with Qt 5.5 .

If they'll do the switch in SailfishOS 2.0, I hope that they will include QtWebEngine module

The Following User Says Thank You to Dax For This Useful Post:
Mmmmmh, yes, QtMultimedia 5.5 seems to be shipped with Qt 5.5 .

If they'll do the switch in SailfishOS 2.0, I hope that they will include QtWebEngine module
Okay, thanks. I'll try and have a look about at it at some point.

EDIT Might be worth raising it at one of the community development meetings? I don't think that was one of the items mentioned in the latest one.

Last edited by skanky; 2015-05-22 at 15:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Is this question related to my post?

If yes, QtWebEngine's api are similar to QtWebKit's one, but there should be more things implemented/supported, the rendering engine is more recent, and, according to the information provided by Qt 5.5 roadmap, it is based on Blink shipped with Chromium 40.
I'm not sure how relevant this is for Sailfish OS, but QtWebEngine seems to be quite a mess from packaging standpoint and many distributions, such as Fedora and Debian, are having issues with that:

QtWebEngine Poses Problems For Debian, Distribution Vendors

The issues stem from it being based on Blink/Chromium, which is notorious for bundling a bazillion of third party libraries with custom patches on top - so it is quite a nightmare to maintain for distributions and thats also the reason why many distros don't ship Chromium.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I'm not sure how relevant this is for Sailfish OS, but QtWebEngine seems to be quite a mess from packaging standpoint and many distributions, such as Fedora and Debian, are having issues with that:

QtWebEngine Poses Problems For Debian, Distribution Vendors

The issues stem from it being based on Blink/Chromium, which is notorious for bundling a bazillion of third party libraries with custom patches on top - so it is quite a nightmare to maintain for distributions and thats also the reason why many distros don't ship Chromium.
I have read about that (big) issue, but which other alternatives exists for SailfishOS?

1) Continue with QtWebKit
2) Use QtWebEngine
3) Make QtMozEmbed, Embedlite and Gecko packages available for developers (removing QtWebKit and QtWebEngine from the OS), as they are already installed in the OS

Last edited by Dax; 2015-05-22 at 15:35.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
3) Make QtMozEmbed, Embedlite and Gecko packages available for developers (removing QtWebKit and QtWebEngine from the OS), as they are already installed in the OS
it's full opensource and always available for developers

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: