Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by iball View Post
Yes, just like an Ipod Touch/iPhone.

El Jobso says 10 hours of constant video playback and a month of "standby", i.e. with the screen off and it not doing anything.

I know. It was just as bad if not worse when I was living in Germany.

When you click on a link on one website that opens another "window" or "tab" on a desktop PC, on the iPhone it opens up another browser window to the right of the one you're on and then jumps over to it. It's pretty seamless.

Yes, tons....

....and there's the rub. Tons of free stuff, very little of the free stuff is actually any good. But with the built-in iTunes reviews and Google it's very easy to find the good free stuff.

Nope. There's a free version of Jaadu VNC out for one to try to see if it works for them though it's kind of crippled. The full version you have to buy.

Here's the thing: Apple - the company itself - has only one or two apps actually in the iTunes app store. The rest are third-party developers. And the ones Apple does have in the iTunes store are free.

Then stay away from an iPhone/iPad.
iTunes doesn't really tie me down. I sync once a day to refresh my podcasts and update any apps, and it only takes a minute or two to do so. Of course, I'm on a Macbook Pro....I'm sure it takes longer or is more buggy on a Windows PC.
Thanks for the replies!

A few things I'm not clear about. Does this mean you can open say 10 webpages all at the same time and not have to go back and reload and so on, say when underground with no signal ?

Is there a way to load and unload things without having to use iTunes?

Are there great free GPS/Navigation software ? And ones that don't need a data connection for when I'm on holiday overseas? Can you pre-load maps for holidays too ? Google Maps would be way too expensive that way. A bunch of text messages I sent in Sweden over a 3 day period was charged here for around $20 so you can imagine how ridiculous it would be with roaming data charges

Also, a few days ago I was trying to send a ringtone to a friend's iphone and we couldn't figure out how to do it. Any ideas what to do ? We must have done something wrong. Pairing seemed to work. I tried straight afterwards with a friend's LG phone and no problems sending a pdf file.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Speed. Raw speed. For power users of remote access apps, WIndows Mobile doesn't cut it. Maemo devices don't cut it. Symbian, too many button clicks.
Click, swipe, tap, tap and I'm logging into my server/desktop/home Mac.
People keep posting about "why not get a netbook?"
I've got one. A Lenovo S10E w/2GB of RAM. Since we're an authorized IBM/Lenovo reseller, I got mine pretty cheap too. Even got a spare drive with Snow Leopard installed on it.
But to remote into something I have to pull it out of the bag, open it up, hit the power button, wait for Windows 7 Enterprise to "resume", then click the RDP/VNC/SSH icon I have pinned to the task tray, then wait for it to open, then type in the server name, then wait, then login to the remote server.
Stupid question - what do you do AFTER you connect? As for me it seems that connection to server is needed to TYPE something and type more... more... and more. The real KBD can't be replaced and the significance of netbook with full KBD is a gem here.

For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server. I guess... you are in sales/marketing, right? (Nothing personal, it is just a way how our marketing uses the remote connection - connect and show that... may be show some scripts but no real work).

BTW, even Windows 7 has a mode "suspend to RAM" which resumes in 1-3 secs. At least my old Vista can do it, and I assume W7 can do it too.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Thanks for the replies!
No problem.

A few things I'm not clear about. Does this mean you can open say 10 webpages all at the same time and not have to go back and reload and so on, say when underground with no signal ?
Hmmm...not sure. The most pages I've had open at one time was 5 and I was able to flick back and forth between them while within mobile Safari and didn't have any try to reload on me.

Is there a way to load and unload things without having to use iTunes?
Not unless you're jailbroken however there is iTunes on the device itself.

Are there great free GPS/Navigation software ? And ones that don't need a data connection for when I'm on holiday overseas? Can you pre-load maps for holidays too ?
There's one or two of them. I bought the Navigon app and it's excellent. Navigon (and Tom Tom and several more) all pre-load apps on the device itself. Any one of them has more functionality than Ovi maps does at the moment.

Google Maps would be way too expensive that way. A bunch of text messages I sent in Sweden over a 3 day period was charged here for around $20 so you can imagine how ridiculous it would be with roaming data charges
Boy don't I know it. I ran up some horrendous charges in Europe, Africa, and the ME. Luckily my employer was the U.S. Government so they footed the bill on their phone chip.

Also, a few days ago I was trying to send a ringtone to a friend's iphone and we couldn't figure out how to do it.
You can't....unless your jailbroken. Honestly, I don't play the "ringtone trading game", I just make my own. Once jailbroken you have hte option to download and install FREE ringtones using Cydia. If your friends are also on iPhones and jailbroken they can do the same. Or you can make your own and just email them once done from your main computer.

Any ideas what to do ? We must have done something wrong. Pairing seemed to work. I tried straight afterwards with a friend's LG phone and no problems sending a pdf file.
I guess you're not jailbroken? There's some iPhone apps out there for bluetooth sharing, but again I don't do things like that so I haven't researched it thoroughly.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Stupid question - what do you do AFTER you connect? As for me it seems that connection to server is needed to TYPE something and type more... more... and more. The real KBD can't be replaced and the significance of netbook with full KBD is a gem here.
I use three fingers to swipe up and it goes to fullscreen. Then I move hte mouse to where I want it. If I need to type, I triple-finger-swipe up again and the keyboard just pops out. I then type in what I need and then triple-finger-swipe down and the keyboard goes away. Once you get used to it it's FAST.

For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server.
Ummm....no. I can check services and logs on servers just fine this way.

I guess... you are in sales/marketing, right? (Nothing personal, it is just a way how our marketing uses the remote connection - connect and show that... may be show some scripts but no real work).
Ummm...not just no, but fcuk no. I work for a living.

BTW, even Windows 7 has a mode "suspend to RAM" which resumes in 1-3 secs. At least my old Vista can do it, and I assume W7 can do it too.
Right. Any Windows 7 netbook can do it as well however you sacrifice battery life with that, and it cuts the battery down fast. That was the first thing I set mine up for, but after leaving it like that at the end of the day the battery was completely drained. On my netbook I just close the lid and after a minute or two it's finished "hibernating" and powers off. Come back days later and I can "resume" it to where I left off however it takes another minute or two to get there.
Again, I suggest some of you who doubt the iPhone's - and future iPad's - remote terminal/viewer capabilities need to actually do a hands-on with it first to get a real feeling for if it fits for you.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
No problem.

Hmmm...not sure. The most pages I've had open at one time was 5 and I was able to flick back and forth between them while within mobile Safari and didn't have any try to reload on me.

Not unless you're jailbroken however there is iTunes on the device itself.

There's one or two of them. I bought the Navigon app and it's excellent. Navigon (and Tom Tom and several more) all pre-load apps on the device itself. Any one of them has more functionality than Ovi maps does at the moment.

Boy don't I know it. I ran up some horrendous charges in Europe, Africa, and the ME. Luckily my employer was the U.S. Government so they footed the bill on their phone chip.

You can't....unless your jailbroken. Honestly, I don't play the "ringtone trading game", I just make my own. Once jailbroken you have hte option to download and install FREE ringtones using Cydia. If your friends are also on iPhones and jailbroken they can do the same. Or you can make your own and just email them once done from your main computer.

I guess you're not jailbroken? There's some iPhone apps out there for bluetooth sharing, but again I don't do things like that so I haven't researched it thoroughly.
Thanks again for the reply... you're probably getting sick of me!

The guy with the iphone won't jailbreak it, he just wants things to work and was getting frustrated with sending ringtones, contacts, video clips, basically anything over bluetooth... anyone else with ideas are welcome.

Can you transfer your music via wifi without itunes? that would be quite good.

I don't really want to pay for a navigation application. Upgrading to a new phone in 12 months time may mean buying yet another navigation application. Similarly with buying games and other software. Or is there a way to transfer our iphone apps onto new phones? If so, can I send a copy to a friend ?

Originally Posted by egoshin
I use three fingers to swipe up and it goes to fullscreen. Then I move hte mouse to where I want it. If I need to type, I triple-finger-swipe up again and the keyboard just pops out. I then type in what I need and then triple-finger-swipe down and the keyboard goes away. Once you get used to it it's FAST.

Originally Posted by Thor
For me it seems you trade off the convenience of work with server to convenience of connection to server.
Ummm....no. I can check services and logs on servers just fine this way.

I guess... you are in sales/marketing, right? (Nothing personal, it is just a way how our marketing uses the remote connection - connect and show that... may be show some scripts but no real work).
Ummm...not just no, but fcuk no. I work for a living.

Right. Any Windows 7 netbook can do it as well however you sacrifice battery life with that, and it cuts the battery down fast. That was the first thing I set mine up for, but after leaving it like that at the end of the day the battery was completely drained. On my netbook I just close the lid and after a minute or two it's finished "hibernating" and powers off. Come back days later and I can "resume" it to where I left off however it takes another minute or two to get there.
Again, I suggest some of you who doubt the iPhone's - and future iPad's - remote terminal/viewer capabilities need to actually do a hands-on with it first to get a real feeling for if it fits for you.
I didn't originally post those.. it was egoshin, how did it manage to attribute the quotes to me ? Is there a problem with this site?

I didn't originally post those.. it was egoshin, how did it manage to attribute the quotes to me ? Is there a problem with this site?
Whoops! Oh well, still valid for whomever.

Thanks again for the reply... you're probably getting sick of me!
We're all here to learn from each other.

The guy with the iphone won't jailbreak it, he just wants things to work and was getting frustrated with sending ringtones, contacts, video clips, basically anything over bluetooth... anyone else with ideas are welcome.
Sorry, not my baliwick...I pretty much detest bluetooth and do not use it for hardly anything outside of the slight use of stereo BT headphones. it can be done if he jailbreaks it.

Can you transfer your music via wifi without itunes? that would be quite good.
Sure....jailbroken.

I don't really want to pay for a navigation application. Upgrading to a new phone in 12 months time may mean buying yet another navigation application.
If you're looking for navigation you only want to pay ONCE for, good luck with that. You can buy a dedicated nav device but updates you would probably have to pay for. That's why I like Navigon. Updates are free and it was a one-time $70 cost for the life of the device. And if I "upgrade" to a newer iPhone, that app goes right on the newer phone.

Similarly with buying games and other software. Or is there a way to transfer our iphone apps onto new phones?
Well, you just plug the new iPhone into your computer and iTunes will load all your apps on your new iPhone.
But don't expect iPhone apps to work on Maemo/Symbian in much the same way Windows Mobile apps don't work on Maemo/Symbian.
Unless you mean Java games....ugh. Take a look at Ravensword for the iPhone. Also, the GTA: Chinatown Wars game for the iphone is pretty much a direct port from the DS version. And NOVA and Modern Combat for a pocketable online, multiplayer FPS fix.

If so, can I send a copy to a friend ?
Can't help you there as unless it's already a free app it's piracy. And if it's a free app you just email a link to it they click on within the iPhone and they can download it themselves.

Yes, but there's no need to hack a script to do something on an N900 that "just works" on my iPhone.

You could just pay someone to develop it (or rather write a script if the terminal supports it) for you, since that's basically what you did if you paid for a VNC iPhone app.

That's just it, I got tired of hacking my N800 to just get basic functionality the iPhone provides out of the box. I also got tired of waiting for Nokia to update things on their end, which of course they did....for the N900 instead.
I would hardly call installing another browser hacking, it's like installing Firefox on your PC (or rather Mac) is. Now integrating the new browser hand would be more hacking since the way Nokia setup the system, everything was integrated into their stuff. They should have it setup so that everything is done via references and if you install another browser and wish to use that browser you can switch a setting and everything now uses that browser if it's web browsing related (and that's what the eventual scripts and GUI program did). [on a side note: hey where's the openness here!]

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Any Windows 7 netbook can do it as well however you sacrifice battery life with that, and it cuts the battery down fast. That was the first thing I set mine up for, but after leaving it like that at the end of the day the battery was completely drained.
Something wrong with your netbook configuration. In "suspend-to-RAM" mode it consumes the low portion of watt to keep DRAM content. Of course, it is possible that there are some troubled devices which don't have power saving mode or driver which can't restore it properly and system keep that devices under power but that is not right. That devices should be replaced (not bought in first place).

My notebook keeps DAYS in suspend-to-RAM mode and it is even not netbook (netbook typically has much more battery per power consumption). My friend just say me his netbook lasts at least 5 days in suspend-to-RAM mode (he didn't test more because he uses it).

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet