Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Wikiwide covered most of what I'd like, but I think a major point would be a type of X-forwarding (N900's isn't functional).

My concept of phone usage is more like personal computer - with a type of functional X-forwarding, you'd have your navigation application, music, music app, etc. on the phone, then when you get in the car with the phone, just use a larger screen for the display.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
HWKB
Linux
Well, that's basically it.

I could well live without the HWKB even, but add one important requirement: no closed blobs on the device.

And I do mean none; all FW blobs should be open too, as well as all L2/L3/signalling stacks.
All algorithms documented. All sources provided, all tools provided, all build toolchains documented, all JEDEC files provided, all schematics provided, all gerber files provided.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
HWKB
Linux

Android is Linux. Oh, you mean GNU/Linux?

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Android is Linux. Oh, you mean GNU/Linux?
As long as we are talking about dreams, I cannot settle for anything less than
  • GNU hardware
  • GNU fimware
  • GNU software

iIf it's Linux that's okay for me but I will settle for Hurd/whatever you ard offering

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ oregon woods
I just want a device fits in my pocket nicely.

I would buy an android, but they are all huge. I have a laptop if I want to carry something big around. Iphone5 is a nice size for me. really I could go even smaller, as long as it has a nice resolution. I don't know why there isn't more demand for this, they just keep making them bigger. calling them phablets and what not.

I've been eyeing the razr M, but really something better has to come out soon.

I like a lot of the ideas I've seen in this thread as well, as long as we're dreaming.

for now I stick with my 10 dollar dumb-phones and wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to cedar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
my dream device should look like that

It should do anything whatever I think

It should become physically anything what I want yes of course physical

Actually I am checking my name software which is typing by speaking

So I'm speaking whatever is coming in on my mind so please don't mind if you get bored by Reading this post.

Actually the software is working good it looks like that I can type by speaking it is working very well today I was not able to write so fast yesterday but today after getting some practice I'm able to type quite correctly.

Thanks again

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
my dream device should look like that

It should do anything whatever I think

It should become physically anything what I want yes of course physical
Quick reply...
Not boring, not boring at all. And I wouldn't like a device which "does anything whatever I think" for two reasons. First, if technology exists to read a human mind, then there are far too many malicious ways to use it, including overwriting human mind; frightening opportunity for invasion of privacy. Second, if the device is capable of doing anything, then it's as scary as house elves in Harry-Potter-land: it is underestimated by the virtue of being a computer, it has unknown capabilities since its only limit is its owner's imagination, and it's capable of great destruction should owner wish it - or when the device turns out to have its own will, separate from the will of a human.
Just look at the influence Daneel Olivaw had on Foundation universe. He was benevolent, by his own choice or due to Asimov's laws, we don't know. But if the device doesn't obey Asimov's laws, or finds a way to disregard them, or is mistaken in some of the definitions, then the device may be, either deliberately or accidentally, malicious.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Short and sweet.

An HTC One with Sailfish.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
With an ir fmtransmitter optical zoom bgn x86 troch zenon black and white display.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Well my dream device will be the exact N900 with all the bugs fixed.

Maybe a little more CPU, but if Iphone can run flawlessly with a Cortex-A8, who am I to ask for more.

Maybe a little thin, with a large screen, but exactly the way it is now. A phone as strong as 3310, but smart!

Tags
for dorks only, keep taking, nokian900rules!, them pills, tool thread