Notices

Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
I was playing final fantasy 6 (US 3) last night on my Palm T3 using Little John Emulator and the game runs perfect. I was thinking to myself, why can't my N810 do what my older T3 can so well? They both have 400mhz cpus. I know Palm T3 has an Xscale and the N810 an Omap. Not sure that is the difference or not. I would love to have LJP on N810. One can wish....
Graphics chip maybe?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

After following the link in this thread:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=28750 which points to:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14391,

I was able to install LJP inside Garnet VM. I was expecting the thing to crash once installed and actually trying to run a game, but it works! What a surprise.

I was only able to test NES Double Dragon. It seemed like it was working great.

A couple of issues:
1. No sound. couldn't get it working for whatever reason
2. Not sure how to map hardware buttons on keyboard to GVM to LJP. Used the onscreen buttons in LJP.

I didn't have time to test SNES (I want my final fantasy 6, hehe), but wanted to let those know who are interested that LJP may work for them if they want to try it out and play around.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
i tried it with a snes rom, but it failed with a short memory msg.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Yup, it runs out of memory. Must be a way to allocate more to it though. LJP was the best on my T3... Better controls than any on the N810.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I was able to install LJP inside Garnet VM. I was expecting the thing to crash once installed and actually trying to run a game, but it works! What a surprise.
A miracle indeed.

1. No sound. couldn't get it working for whatever reason
I couldn't get sound to work in any application in GVM. Weird, since it has been said that PocketTunes works, but i couldn't get it to work either. Maybe previous GVM versions had working sound?

I have been thinking about porting the GP32x snes9x to the maemo, but I haven't found the time to do so yet I have some experience from the S60 port, so you can ask me, if you want to try it.

You should at least make few minor modification to the assembly sources, if you wan to run the gp32x arm9 optimized sources on N8x0 with ARM11, see my blog entry for help http://www.summeli.fi/?p=218. You can also download the antsnes sources and take a peak, if you like

The Following User Says Thank You to Summeli For This Useful Post:
Interesting update. I have still been playing around with GVM and trying to get it to play LJP games (mainly NES and SNES) and I have a quick update from playing around on the bus commute home today.

I was reading up on launching apps from the command line in the forums and what options are available from gvm since I wanted to increase the dynamic heap issue with SNES.

I found a command line that plays Final Fantasy 2! Here it is:
Code:
gvm -a LJPM --dynheap=8192 -i Arz1 -O no -c palm -T -s 320x480 -b 16 --refresh=2
At first I tried without the "refresh" option and the game would start, but would not start to play. Then I found in my NES working LJP config the option of "autoRefresh=2" in /home/user/.gvm/gmv_apps_config. I assumed this option was passed from gvmlauncher into gvm somehow and hoped that would solve the refresh issue.

So, I ran the "strings" utility from my easy-debian install against a copy of gvm binary I had on mmc1 and voila! The word "refresh" was there. I assumed the command was a long option and it works now. It's not a documented command when doing a
Code:
gvm --help
I assigned the "A" button to the bottom right screen and was able to play through the intro of the game! Wow. I'm impressed.

Sound still doesn't work and I don't know how to map buttons for the emulator to the keyboard. There are a couple command line options that may help, but not sure.

I tried the option
Code:
--sound=yes
but that does nothing. I see an option for
Code:
--alsa
and think maybe that's the next area of research.

For mapping the keyboard to buttons, I think this is possible. The gvm has an option for keyboard mapping it looks like with this:
Code:
--keymap=GDK_KeyCode:vchrPalmOS....
I wanted to post this info in case anybody else wanted to explore LJP with SnES on their tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Another quick update.

SOUND IS WORKING!

I rebooted my device (well, actually the tablet crashed after I tried kill `pidof dsp_dld` from this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20553)

and sound works on fresh boot. Interesting!

One recommendation from that same post is to run this command instead:
dsp_dld --enable-restart

I'll have to try that when I get a chance to screw around with it.

For now I'm really, really impressed and surprised this even functions.

So, guys, any progress?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
I believe that a SNES emulator is the only major thing missing now ont our tablets ...

Unfortunetely I'm not smart enough to help porting it ... But would be very happy to use it ... Chrono Trigger would be niiiiiiiiiiiiice on my NIT !