since many of us believe that in Perl you can easily develop <anything>, thanks to CPAN too, I believe that the 770 could hugely benefit from a Perl port (even better, Perl/Tk).
Any information on this happening?

thanks

Alessandro

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It's already available in the Maemo repository. This can't be installed with the App. Installer, but can be using dpkg directly as root:

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/mae...7/free/p/perl/

HTH,

Andrew

How do you install CPAN on the 770? Is there any easy way?

CPAN works when you use perl -MCPAN -e shell, but it's crippled by busybox's gunzip implementation, as well as requiring some type of make system to be installed.

Debian comes with tools to create .deb packages out of perl modules, and I've been using that to send modules into my device. I'll see if I can get some type of repository going.

I'm working on this myself, as I think perl would be a great rapid app development environment on the 770. Perl CLI speed is fantastic on the device.

As a dedicated perlist --- trust me. Learn python. The support is EXCELLENT --- you've got Hildon, DBus, and everything else.

CPAN on the device would require a working C compiler for most modules.

Might as well go to C. I know Python, but I find perl to be far easier to work with. Python definitely has the modules, but I'm looking at bringing that to perl.

Hmmm. We must not be living on the same planet (which is perfectly OK, BTW :-)

I posted a link to an updated perl for OS2007/N800 at:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/LibraryCa...6fd314873dba6e