Closed Thread
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
But if there won't be anything besides S40 products around, then you might want to check that rats *** again.
So you will not buy a phone based on S40 even if it's the same ux on top as N9, just because it's based on "S40"??????

Latest S40 are going to be far from S40 phones with qt implemented. It will be a whole new ball game my friend.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
So you will not buy a phone based on S40 even if it's the same ux on top as N9, just because it's based on "S40"??????
S40 will is lower end of Nokia products. Low prices, cheap hardware. it will be bought by people who buy cheap phones and have financial resources and needs for such phone. And yes, I know the rumoured specs for supposed S40 phones. By that time high end models have moved on and will be much more powerful that they are today.

I don't see any of the big players making Maemo 5 versions of their S^3 software despite Qt already making it possible. That requires more than just source code being compatible. There’s also support, updates, etc.

S40 users won’t be keeping alive ecosystem for high-end aimed stuff. That’s if S40 can even keep up with Android. It’s looking pretty bad right now. Nokia’s dumbphone sales went down 20% last quarter.

Originally Posted by bbin View Post
Latest S40 are going to be far from S40 phones with qt implemented. It will be a whole new ball game my friend.
No, its the same ballgame as ever. Just with new UX.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
S40 is low end?! And what's the low featured WP7 for?

The low featured WP7 is Nokia's high end smartphone OS. D'oh.

You'll know once you see the price tags.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
That picture just... it just feels RIGHT and makes me shake my head every time... but I chuckle EVERY time, too, imagining that this is how Elop does his meetings.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Considering the regressive mood the world is in these days, I wonder if returning to Symbian would be the most enlightened thing for Nokia to do, encouraging people to return to a past that at least worked.

well danramos quoted me upthread from a long time ago, thanks for the credit Dan.

here are some positive I still see for nokia future long-range.

India and Africa and Brazil and Indonesia will be very good for nokia, in my opinion, but i don't think they will be able to get China now as chinese carriers have been allowed to use the heavy subsidization model as in USA. In other parts of the developing world, price vs features will still matter greatly and an iphone is out of the price range of most everyone in these countries if it is unsubsidized.

android+samsung is very problematic at lower price ranges, but I think some countries will eventually resist so much citizen data going through google and android still requires more expensive components to function on a level similar to a symbian phone. most android phones are also inherently more expensive with data usage(ie it is harder to use them completely offline or without GPRS)

also, there is the impending switch to LTE by the largest US carrier, Verizon. Nokia will have phones on verizon sometime in the not too distant future, giving them a good boost. You can pretty well bet that nokia lte phones will have some of the best signal handling on lte, and specifically verizons, as NSN helped them build it.

maps is still pretty good leverage for nokia, in my opinion. google maps on some phones allows some caching now, but still. Not exactly sure how they can leverage this better...

I still think windows phone partnership has potential...laugh all you want, but windows is still king by faaaaar on the desktop and you know microsoft is not above trying some shady bundling tactics ala internet explorer again. if nokia and microsoft can leverage the windows desktop domination and office integration somehow, then it could be huge. Also don't forget that all implementations of activesync(mail for exchange) which has essentially become the defacto standard for PIM data(although I was rooting for syncml) are licensed through microsoft.

the qt ecosystem is also just now germinating and could get fairly large.

those are just my positiv thoughts on nokias future, there is enough negative already to bother adding any of my own

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
well danramos quoted me upthread from a long time ago, thanks for the credit Dan.

here are some positive I still see for nokia future long-range.

India and Africa and Brazil and Indonesia will be very good for nokia, in my opinion, but i don't think they will be able to get China now as chinese carriers have been allowed to use the heavy subsidization model as in USA. In other parts of the developing world, price vs features will still matter greatly and an iphone is out of the price range of most everyone in these countries if it is unsubsidized.

android+samsung is very problematic at lower price ranges, but I think some countries will eventually resist so much citizen data going through google and android still requires more expensive components to function on a level similar to a symbian phone. most android phones are also inherently more expensive with data usage(ie it is harder to use them completely offline or without GPRS)

also, there is the impending switch to LTE by the largest US carrier, Verizon. Nokia will have phones on verizon sometime in the not too distant future, giving them a good boost. You can pretty well bet that nokia lte phones will have some of the best signal handling on lte, and specifically verizons, as NSN helped them build it.

maps is still pretty good leverage for nokia, in my opinion. google maps on some phones allows some caching now, but still. Not exactly sure how they can leverage this better...

I still think windows phone partnership has potential...laugh all you want, but windows is still king by faaaaar on the desktop and you know microsoft is not above trying some shady bundling tactics ala internet explorer again. if nokia and microsoft can leverage the windows desktop domination and office integration somehow, then it could be huge. Also don't forget that all implementations of activesync(mail for exchange) which has essentially become the defacto standard for PIM data(although I was rooting for syncml) are licensed through microsoft.

the qt ecosystem is also just now germinating and could get fairly large.

those are just my positiv thoughts on nokias future, there is enough negative already to bother adding any of my own
I'm not sure that Microsoft Windows' dominance is so absolutely assured, based on these two factors:
1) Microsoft Windows vs any other operating system on any form factor (not just desktops) is quickly eroding the way Internet Explorer did (from the mid 90 percentile, quickly slipping down). i.e. http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...-dropping.html
2) Newer versions of Microsoft Windows aren't selling very well at all. Most people are clinging to XP, which doesn't bode well for Microsoft's marketshare--given that people coming from XP are potential consumers to other platforms (Apple, Linux, Android, anything but Windows). i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems

It's, by no means, a signal that they've lost first-place status... but it is a crack in the armor that is starting to widen.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
15 years in first place. Not a bad run.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
Nokia CEO once said that "using Android is like peeing in your pants for warmth" (not Elop, though).
How WP7 is any different?

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen