Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Edit: And I thought Droid was just Sholes renamed?
Yes it is.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
It's an interesting point you make about the apps being geared to the G1/Mytouch. Do you mean because they all have half the screen resolution? That's a fair point if they aren't compatible with the Droid...

Yet another reason for me to wait a few weeks to make a decision.
Android 2.0 will support higher resolution displays, and the apps will follow right along. So I don't think there is anything to worry about on that front.

Look, I don't understand why you were so bothered by my comments. I think you expressed very well your reasons for thinking that the Droid is a better option for you. I agree, and I merely merely wanted to point out the one reason I think is most important - the fact that you can't see what makes the N900 a more capable mobile computer than any other smart phone in the market. On my second post I tried to show you some things that can be done on the N900, thanks to its mobile computer capabilities, that cannot be done on other smart phones. But those capabilities are not important for you. So, I don't understand why you think you need to wait to make a decision. The only thing I can think of that could hold you back is if you are thinking of taking advantage of the flood of applications that is bound to be developed for the N900 by the community. But, you did not mention that as a factor in your post.

So tell us, what is it about the N900 that you think is/may be more enticing for you than the Droid? What is holding you back from canceling it?

Nokia is obviously gearing the N900 to geeks. It is "step 4 of 5", trying to put it in the hands of "the right people", the ones that appreciate and can take advantage of its power. All I am saying is that you don't seem to fit the profile. No offense or condescension intended.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2009-10-19 at 23:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by beelerb View Post
2. Locking users and most apps out of the GPS chipset ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon...ertain_devices )
Uhh, no they aren't. By contract Verizon can't mess with the phone's os. It's branded as a "Google Experience" phone, so that's a no no. I also believe they don't do that anymore anyway.

Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
It's an interesting point you make about the apps being geared to the G1/Mytouch. Do you mean because they all have half the screen resolution? That's a fair point if they aren't compatible with the Droid...

Yet another reason for me to wait a few weeks to make a decision.
Android apps are supposed to scale to the screen. Whether they do it correctly or not I have no idea.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Last edited by barry99705; 2009-10-19 at 23:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry99705 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Then cancel it and dont let the door hit you on the arse on the way out
Fanboyism

Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Fanboyism

Nothing of the sort. I simply don't see the point in him coming on and ragging all over Nokia the N900. What does that contribute? If he hates Nokia and by default the n900 - why bother with keeping his preorder.

Oh and Android 2.0 has absolutely ZERO to do with apps supporting higher res screens. It is entirely up to how the developer coded the layout.xml etc. Whether he used px or dp etc. Android development is what I do so ....
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Before we start the mess I think derails most good threads here, let's cool our tones and show each other more respect. We're all members of the same community, and don't want people coming here thinking we're a group of grumps and rude dudes. We can all be men or women, and not act like children. If I can chill and keep my composure, anyone can.
Thank you sir,

I am a big Nokia fan and have been for a long time. My first ever phone was a NOKIA (3210 bought in 1999). I have had to suffer a lot of headache to get my 5800 to a stable state and there are still bugs here and there.

Its sad to see that NOKIA is not leading like it used to do. I'm tired of the iPhone hype etc and hope NOKIA can give us the N95 experience once again.

When did you get into Nokia phones and what do you like about Nokia ?.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't want the N900 to be too mainstream, honestly.

Until the security platform is rolled out in Maemo 6, protecting "average users" from themselves, it is best that Maemo is kept somewhat niche. Most geeks won't let their phone be taken over by a trojan, but can you imagine the chaos if the iPhone users were to switch to Maemo en masse? Suddenly, Maemo would look very interesting to criminals.

It would only take one clever, nasty criminal with bad intentions to start spreading a very serious "phone virus" that silently called Nigeria in the background and e-mailed all your passwords (are they still stored as plaintext in gconf?) to Russia...

EDIT: No prejudice meant. Some of my best friends are Russian Nigerians. I'm even helping this nice Nigerian widow lady transfer her husband's money out of the country through my bank account!

Last edited by qole; 2009-10-20 at 00:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
qole, you're a mess. LOL. I'm emailing the same lady...

Enyibinakata, I've always favored Nokia's featurephones for their durability. I was a WinMo user until 2005 when I got the N90. I had a stretch where I was buying a new device every 3-5 months, and have had every premium Nseries flagship model along with most of the Nseries and a few Eseries models. I've never used Maemo except for 2 minutes a couple weeks ago from a Nokia employed friend from Connecticut. I'm addicted to mobiles and love Nokias most of all. it started with easy T9 for fast texting, and once I found Symbian, I saw the future of mobiles. Maemo brings it full circle, and culminates in an almost perfect device for me.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Look, I don't understand why you were so bothered by my comments.
I may be wrong, but I think he's referring to me, not you. Either way, he's just wrankled a bit. Nothing to worry about. We get that way here for some reason. Best to let each other vent sometimes and keep it moving.

Qole, chrisexaport.. I have a confession.

I am that Nigerian lady.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900