Posts: 42 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Canada
Might not be the place for this but herre goes.
Anyone have any experience with either/both of these phones? I'm going to be upgrading phones after 3 years and these look pretty interesting. I was going to wait for the Nokia 5800 or new N900 (whatever it my be) but it'll be forever getting up to Canada so I'm going to have to go with something else. Anyway just thought some of you tech savy guys would have so helpful info on these.

Clinton

Clinton

I have a dream. I love the ability to install custom firmware and have root level access. The Android Market has tons of free apps. The only thing I bought was "Touchdown" by nitrodesk.com because it was a great Exchange client that works through the OWA interface on exchange 2003. It also supports exchange 2007 and ActiveSynch and Push. So that was $25 well spent, IMO.

There is a Doom player that works with most doom wads.
There are a pile of different Tetris games.
Several twitter and facebook apps.

The internal memory is too small, but with root access you can install apps to the SD card. It's a similar process to booting a 770 off the RSMMC card.

check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=446

and also androidforums.com

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I love my G1/Dream. Well worth it... and I haven't run my N810 since I started using it.

There's also an ssh program for it (ConnectBot), and a few other apps I use regularly. It's not perfect, but it is quite good.

The N900 could drag me back into the Maemo fold... maybe. Depends on details. But so far, I love that I only carry one device, but still can do just about everything I did with my N810 ... and some things my N810 couldn't do. Plus, the G1 has a 5 row keyboard, which just blows away any other mobile device keyboard I've ever used.