Updated: Added volume control and navigation keys

I use canola a lot as my in car media player. I thought it would be cool to be able to connect to a bluetooth steering wheel remote and be able to connect to canola. May be when the car edition is available, we can use it to zoom in or zoom out of the maps plugin too !

Here is my 2 cents. I paired sony ericsson k750i with N800 and used it to control canola. I cooked up a simple hid file with the following keys.

Left/Right - Prev/Next Song in the playlist
Enter - Play/Pause
Home - Same as pressing the Home button (Alt + tab)
Esc - Escape key
Up/Down - Nothing on canola yet, but when you press the Home button you can navigate up and down the application list in the task bar and then press pasue (which is also the enter key to select that app)
Updated:
VOL +/- - increase decrease volume (the volume keys on the phone also controls the volume )
Joystick/navigation keys - up/down/left/right click using the navigation keys does the same exact as the buttons above

The HID file
Updated New hid !

http://rapidshare.com/files/104373195/Canola.hid.html

And the remote looks like this
Update

This is just a trial to see if it will work with a steering wheel remote. I have just ordered the Pioneer CDSR-1 (approx 20$) . Will try that out and let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by mikevraziel; 2008-04-02 at 19:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikevraziel For This Useful Post:
This looks interesting, and I could see myself using it. So if I understand correctly, if it works with the Pioneer CDSR-1 you wouldn't have to pair it with your phone?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Exactly !!!

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
This is very interesting indeed. However as I am not a bluetooth expert, this hid file is stored somewhere on the N800, or on your phone/remote?

The HID file is for your phone. First transfer the hid file to your phone (preferably using bluetooth file transfer). Then navigate to the remote control option in your phone. FOr K750i in SE phones it is available under entertainment section. You should see the "Canola" in the list. Select it and it should connec t0 n800 rightaway if you have paired n800. If it fails, in the same menu where you chose canola, press More-> Select Device
Select n800.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikevraziel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
holy **** it works. Excellent!

EDIT: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ola-remote.jpg

Last edited by Cptnodegard; 2008-04-02 at 15:58.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hei guys : ) we are so happy to see this

2 cents : as I posted in some parts, we do have a "improved" hardware keys planned (it's on my personal blog - older posts ) and would work a lot better with this remote. The only thing it would be missing is a "selected " area so you could actually select a item (maybe in the carman version) but all the other parts would be quite easy to use.

I hope this can be added to any bluetooth (and programmable) phone like the s40 and s60 from nokia

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Richmond, BC, CAN
This is very interesting!

I have a SE k850i, and i'd like to see if I can get it to work on it. Where is the HID file suppose to be located on the phone?

Relevant only for Sony Ericsson phones !!!

when you transfer the hid using bluetooth, after the transfer there will be a pop up to "install the hid file". Or possibly "use the hid file" or something similar.
But if you use usb cable to transfer the hid file, i really dont know. possibly put it in the system folder (such as Phone memory\Other ) of the phone and browse for it using File manager

Last edited by mikevraziel; 2008-04-02 at 19:17.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
OK...I'm jealous. There is no "remote control option" on a Nokia phone. I have an N95, dang it! I'm left in the technological dust.

It seems this is a application preinstalled on the SE k850i, right? Any chance there's something similar for an S60 Nokia phone?