Notices

Originally Posted by wormdrummer View Post
Ouch, oh well hopefully RobertMe will be able to pick up where Smoku left off.

For me the priority list would be:

- Notifications
- Push calendar to timeline
- Allow internet access to pebble so apps can connect (weather etc)
- Allow gps access to pebble (again weather etc)
- Install/remove apps
- Integrate other apps in to timeline
- Allow apps to communicate with the watch (running apps etc)

Hopefully most if not all are possible. I've tried other phone and smartwatch combinations, but I'm set to sticking with my Jolla, so the pebble is a real investment. I'm happy to donate what's needed to get this up and running.
It will be excellent if an app is released with these features. I have a pebble time now and currently I can only use it as a digital watch. 😔

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malerocks For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
It will be excellent if an app is released with these features. I have a pebble time now and currently I can only use it as a digital watch. 😔
Dito. Where can I donate to make this happen

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrBlueSky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by RobertMe View Post
I will, once I've gotten my Time Steel And I of course need to find some time (no pun intended) to work on it. But at least for notifications I've did some more investigations past weekend.

I think I've read some comments from Smokku that at least some kind of investigation happened for MeeRun, or there at least was some interest. As he said these apps require some background app running on the Pebble but it was unclear how to do so.

From what I've read it's, at least for public data, quite safe to use. Take the example of some sports app (reporting scores).
Using the Pebble app (on the phone) you'll have to subscribe to a topic on the service. This subscription is then automatically registered by Pebble (probably based on your Pebble account, the id of the watchapp/service, and the subscribed topics). So no data is send to the service provider. The service provider then sends the pins to Pebble (company/website), but the only data it knows are: its own watchapp/service id, and the topic(s) the pin is associated with. Pebble then combines this data to send the pin to the users who subscribed to these topics. The Pebble app on your phone will then periodically query the Pebble servers to get the latest updated pins.

So while Pebble knows which services and topics you are subscribed to, the service itself won't know anything about you. They just push pins to Pebble, and Pebble does all the work to distribute it to the users who subscribed to those topics. So there will never be any direct communication between your Pebble (or app on phone) and the 3th party service.

There are however ways for Pebble (watch)apps to get some unique token, which they can use to create personal pins. But you of course aren't required to use those.

And besides it's not like the timeline won't work without the external services. But then you will need native apps which push the pins to the Pebble watch (using the phone app). And I don't think that's very likely to happen for Sailfish. Although it might well be possible that some developers will put some effort into it. But there will then maybe be like 10 or 20 native apps which can fill the timeline, while there might be hundreds, or thousands of external services which can fill the timeline.
Would be awesome if you could continue on this,
I backed Pebble time but dont; really use it right now because I dont have good for use it with the boring watchface and no apps that work. I hope it will soon work nicely with Jolla or otherwhise I might sell the pebble ...

Would donate to see some software available!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJac For This Useful Post:
Just wondering RobertMe, if you have an eta on receiving your watch and if there is anything we can do to help get everything working?

The Following User Says Thank You to wormdrummer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wormdrummer View Post
Just wondering RobertMe, if you have an eta on receiving your watch and if there is anything we can do to help get everything working?
No ETA yet. But my order is locked (since the 24th of august), so I guess I will receive it this month.

And I guess there is nothing others can do to help. I'll just have to find out how to properly implement that single "add timeline pin of type notification" message. The message structure can be found in the libpebble2 Python library created by Pebble, but I'm not sure how the wire protocol is (so the actual bytes send to the watch). As I think they use some "new" structures for the timeline pins which they don't use for any other messages. So the Sailfish app might not properly "encode" the message when actually sending it, which would mean it will take some trail and error to actually get it right.

Once I got something which works I'll create an RPM package for others to use/try and report back here.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:
And I'm reporting back again

This afternoon I've took some time to properly look into how libpebble2 sends the pins to the timeline and how this app could do it. I've now got some big pile of hackish code which might actually work. So if someone really, really, really wants to be able to receive notifications, he (or she) can send me a private message and I can send the RPM then. But please do note that it is absolutely untested, so it might burn down your phone, Pebble, or house (I justed dumped all the binary data generated by libpebble2 and tried to "rebuild" it in this app, which I think I succeeded in).

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
So actually, this first bullet on my wish list is support for the developer connection.
Seems like this might be relatively easy to achieve. I think they start a WebSocket server on the phone which the SDK connects to. The messages send over this connection are the normal messages as send between the phone and watch, just wrapped with some extra information (like if the message is meant for the phone or the watch).

Update:
Thanks to HtheB and wormdrummer for being able to test it so quickly. Notifications are still broken. So there's no need anymore to ask for a test version. In the upcoming days I'll try to add some extra debugging code/logging to try to narrow down the issue, to see if I can narrow down the issue without actually having received my Pebble.

Last edited by RobertMe; 2015-09-10 at 20:30.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Belgium
Would be great if you also could find a way to change watchfaces because I would use it more if i could select another watchface fom the store, the default one is so boring lol

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJac For This Useful Post:
First things first. Based on the logging output I received it seems like (some?) models aren't properly recognized as being of the Time model/platform (which means my changed code to add the timeline pins for notifications isn't triggered). After that is fixed I can try to finish/debug the actual changes for the notifications, and I then might be able to look into some other issues. But by that time I hopefully also will finally have my own Time Steel, which makes debugging a lot easier.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
It seems like RobertMe is gonna get some donations very soon

(Notifications works!)

Edit:
By the way, I found a way to enter the Pebble (Time) App Store and getting all the .pbw files without needing anything:
http://pas.cpfx.ca/

Or without border:
http://pas.cpfx.ca/fullscreen.html

Maybe we could implement this in our Pebble app, since the one that is in the Pebble app right now, is very choppy and not working properly...

Last edited by HtheB; 2015-09-12 at 01:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
(Notifications works)
That's good to hear So the remaining issue after implementing the protocol was the app not recognizing the Time Steel.

I will try to clean up the code (much) later today or tomorrow, after which I will send a pull request to Smokku and I will then also post an RPM here so all of you can enjoy notification support.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RobertMe For This Useful Post:

Tags
pebble, pebble time, pebbled