Poll: Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?
Poll Options
Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Just thought I'd ask, as I hate it, it's a horrible user experience.

Comments welcome on why it's good or why it's bad. Maybe Nokia will take note.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-07-13 at 17:36.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
No, I don't like using it.

Since I have a loaner and thus I'm not going to buy anything, I'm fine with the free stuff contained in the repository. And all that is needed to view and install the stuff in the Ovi Store repository is Red Pill Mode, still available in PR 1.2's Application Manager. Provides a much faster experience.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-07-13 at 17:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
It's bad, but I have persevered and bought applications.

I rather use the build in app man.

I hate using the ovi store, every time i try to use ovi store it is either down or unavailable..

Or i just keep forgetting my account info since i rarely use ovi store because its just not worth the trouble when app manager has better apps than the ovi store itself...

Edit- btw try to add another option that is neutral instead of "its fine" since that' kind of leaning towards the "like" side.

If Nokia's billing system wasn't so unrelenting in its blacklisting, I might have the Angry Birds level pack.

But none of their customer service people are capable of fixing the problem. So the problems with Ovi go beyond merely the interface sucking.

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I rather use the build in app man.
That itself is becoming less usable by the day for me - add a few repositories, in particular one of the development repositories and it takes several minutes to update with the CPU under maximum load. It's an excruciating experience and the built-in Application Manager clearly does not scale. I know there's a faster version of App Manager available, which just goes to show that Nokia did a bad job on the built-in version.

However this poll is about the Ovi Store - the current browser based solution is not pleasant to use, applications don't always appear for every user, the filtering doesn't make sense ("New apps" shows old apps etc.) and it's slow (even over WiFi).

It's such an unpleasant experience I just don't want to use it any more, which is a great shame for the developers that are trying to make some coin out of Ovi Store.

I even twittered Peter the Marketing guy and the Ovi Store people about the applications that are not appearing for everyone, needless to say there was no response from either, and Nokia wonder why they're rapidly becoming the next Palm Inc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Bad:
Store, content, "search" dosent work as it should!

Good:
at least there is a Payment solution(paid content). droid market don't have paid content yet in my country, even if the content is far better even without paid content in the droid market, plus search function works.

Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
Edit- btw try to add another option that is neutral instead of "its fine" since that' kind of leaning towards the "like" side.
That's just the middle ground/neutral option - basically the poll sweeps from extreme contempt for Ovi Store to thinking it's the best thing since sliced bread in 5 easy steps!

If someone thinks Ovi Store is fine then they're saying it's not good, it's not bad (and probably could be better).

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
On paper, Nokia's software always sounds good. But in practice its always buggy, heavy and unintuitive to use. And Nokia just can't get it right update after update.

I think the whole Ovi software suite and service is a joke. I will never be tempted by CWM because of this reason.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I don't like it.

For example, Zen Bound appeared at the first page (recommended apps), but when I went to the "games" category, it wasn't there.

Later I figured out that I have to set it to show paid apps. But there is no option to show both paid and free apps...

The other issue: when I log in, it switches to Hungarian language. This would be nice, but the translation is just awful.

Tags
iphone, ovi sucks