Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
I wanted to know how to change the system ui sounds for my n800 running OS2008. I personally asked this question to General and he said to install the LCARS theme and look at the LCARS sound package. So I installed the LCARS theme and removed everything EXCEPT the sound package. I still didnt understand it. So I used WinSCP on Windows XP and basically SSH'd into /usr/shared/sounds/ and found that the LCARS theme replaced the default sounds and renamed all of the sys-ui sounds to *.distrib. Example: ui-shutdown.wav ui-shutdown.wav.distrib.

Before installing LCARS i tried to rename (as root) ui-shutdown.wav to ui-shutdown.wav.bk and copy my own .wav file over to the n800. It didnt work. It copied but I never heard a sound when I shutdown.

After installing the LCARS theme, removing everything but the LCARS sound package...I can successfully overwrite the LCARS sounds with my own...and effectively preserving the original default sounds because then all I have to do is uninstall the LCARS sound package.

So as of now, I have the Theme from Close Encounters of the Third Kind as my startup sound.

I am booting from MMC2 OS2008 on a 4gb SD card

If this post/thread is nonsense to the community, feel free to delete it.

I just wanted to give a public "Thank You" to The General.

Last edited by mooler; 2008-04-19 at 05:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to mooler For This Useful Post: