I'd really like to try this out on the tablets and see how it fares (memory- and speed-wise) compared to to native Python :

http://code.google.com/p/yield/

It's already packaged as a (regular) .deb, so I guess the binaries would be enough to give it a spin.

TIA,
fpp

Last edited by fpp; 2008-07-23 at 15:04.

It would be easy enough to repack, but in addition to the python code there are two i386 ELF binaries there (/usr/bin/ypy and /usr/bin/yield). One would have to start from source.

Yes, that was just the point. To clarify, I was not asking for a maemo package (that could be done manually), but for an ARMEL compile of those binaries.

They're supposed to act as a frontend to WSGI python apps, and I'd like to try them out on the tablet to see what kind of speed boost can be achieved, and at what cost.

Someone with a bit of python experience should probably tackle this, since there are no standard Makefiles, but instead some .py scripts, and SConscript based configuration. (see http://www.scons.org/)

In other words, I tried a build in scratchbox-diablo for armel, and it tried to compile and failed with many errors. Since I am not really a python person, and have never used scons build tools before, I have given up for now

I suppose I should spend the time at some point and learn scons, but that is for another day.

Good Luck

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for trying !

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
I've tried as well, and I think I got a bit further than Dave (was able to compile fine for x86). The problem that I'm getting is that I can't seem to compile for ARM arch. It doesn't seem that scons supports it???

I think I would have to define it manually, so I'm sorta giving it a shot, but again I'm no python or scons person like Dave.

----

Ok I tried to use scartchbox to cross-compile, to simplify things (before I was trying to compile using only scons). Got some errors as well. I'll give it another shot though...

Last edited by jzencovich; 2008-07-28 at 17:06.

Thanks for trying too ! If all else fails I'll try emailing the author... :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I suspect that the problem is with scratchbox. When trying to cross compile... maybe it has problems finding the Python core libraries...?

Actually, the errors are revolving around what looks to be a windows specific function call... so...

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I took a look at this. At first i got around 7 errors but i installed the cs2008 toolchain in sbox and i got only 3 errors. But i didn't clean the sources so i'll try again tomorrow.

Where did you get the cs2008 toolchain? I was able to find a cs2007 toolchain after a bit of searching...

by upgrading the toolchain I did get less errors, this time they all seem to be programming errors....

---------

Thanks Qwerty for pointing me in the right direction

Unfortunately there seems to be no decrease in errors from 07 to 08.

From what I can tell the problem is coming from the fact that yield is trying to use intel assembly to read the time. Can't compile intel assembly into arm assembly. Anyone know arm assembly? I would love to learn, but never found a good enough resource. A better solution would be to use linux time...

Last edited by jzencovich; 2008-07-29 at 04:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to jzencovich For This Useful Post: