Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
It's more like these 'smart' houses where you can switch off the lights from wherever you are in the house, as you can open Settings from wherever you are as well.
That is not how I see it. You can switch the light from "anywhere" as long as it is at the switchbox. There is a beauty and comfort in knowing that to control the lights in the bedroom, I have to physically be in that bedroom. There is nothing more annoying than not knowing when the light may go on or off because someone else may be operating the switchbox. There is nothing more annoying than having to open another application just to change something in the application I am already in. (Not to mention that I may already have Settings open for a different purpose. Now you are forcing me to lose my position in it to go somewhere else because of a completely unrelated application.)

The Settings application is a good place for global (e.g. UI or OS) settings that have no better place. Application settings have such a better place. Unfortunately, like with many other things, a "last resort dump for something we have no found a better place for" has through some misguided twist turned into a glorified central place where everything should go. Amazing how much you can get away with by calling it "modern".

No, no, a thousand times NO!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Agreed. Also, worst case is when there is many possible locations for option for an app. So when you are using an app X and think if setting Y could be changed, you try to find the setting from the app first, and if you don't find it, you'll have to open the settings app and see if the setting could be changed from there. I think this is an actual problem with some Jolla apps like People. Some settings can be changed from the app itself, but some are accessed from the Settings app. And this sucks alot.

I bet Jolla primarily created the App Settings menu under Settings app in early stage of the system. They wanted to avoid putting any Android style setting button to apps, but also they didn't have any other way. Later they invented pulley menus, but didn't want to put the settings there because App Settings was already created.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry to keep banging about this. Another thing is, I don't know about nthn but I see application's settings a part of the application's data. There are two related aspects.

One, application data should be sandboxed. No one other than the application itself should have access to it.

Two, if we share some part of the application data and let another application manipulate it, where does it end? Why not have one central application for all other parts of all applications' data? How convenient would it be to edit received messages, playlists and game scores from Settings as well?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry to keep banging about this. Another thing is, I don't know about nthn but I see application's settings a part of the application's data. There are two related aspects.

One, application data should be sandboxed. No one other than the application itself should have access to it.

Two, if we share some part of the application data and let another application manipulate it, where does it end? Why not have one central application for all other parts of all applications' data? How convenient would it be to edit received messages, playlists and game scores from Settings as well?
Completely unrelated but having the same "feel" is this modern fad in all linux distros (including SFOS) of having systemd orchestrate the device.
I am beginning to get annoyed by it... Where the hell did people decide that sysvinit was not good for them, having faithfully served the world for almost half a century?
Just asking, I am...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
The only real problem with systemd is that it hasn't been integrated into the kernel yet.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
The only real problem with systemd is that it hasn't been integrated into the kernel yet.
god forbid me seeing that day

Why, though? Which problems do you see with systemd that can't be applied in the exact same way to the Linux kernel as well?

Some replies in advance:

It's monolithic -> Linux, but also, it isn't really
It's against the UNIX philosophy -> no, it isn't, and also -> Linux
It's against choice -> GNU/Linux is not about choice (see http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg00861.html)
It's really big -> Linux; if space is your concern, you might want to look for another kernel which isn't enormous, maybe Hurd. I wonder which will be first, Hurd or Neo900.
GNOME/KDE/... now have systemd as a dependency so it has to be installed -> okay, I can see this, but on the other hand, why not? Who on earth manually installs these behemoth desktop environments? And -> they all also heavily depend on Linux

Last edited by nthn; 2016-09-07 at 14:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
app settings inside jolla settings should be ones you setup once and do not touch for a months. recently used options should remain inside app itself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
app settings inside jolla settings should be ones you setup once and do not touch for a months. recently used options should remain inside app itself.
This is also how Jolla's own applications do it. Inside the application, People and Documents have an option to show/hide the search bar, Calendar has an option to change which calendars are visible and which colours they should have, Email lets you change the sorting order, Maps lets you switch between different kinds of maps, and so on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Well, it would be nice if the settings would go along in the backup-restore routine. As goes for the list of installed apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post: