Hi to all. Since whatsup seems to not work anymore and however android app seems to go in the direction of sharing our data with facebook to "improve our experience" i think we really need native alternatives.
We have Sailorgram, telegram client by DAX wich is very beautiful and is in active development. But i was wondering:

Telegram is very similar to whatsapp as UI and is very well done, with improvements over WA. Client side is open source, but the protocol isnt, even if the price for the one who will be able to get it broken is still there. So it is secure, but not transparent.
I think Signal Textsecure would be really the best way, and however a valid co alternative with Telegram.

This thread for having an idea of how much are really interested in this project, as users.
And moreover, to know if and who, among developers, is available and wants to spend his time for this project. (SailSecure)

thanks

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2016-01-23 at 16:51.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
https://github.com/janimo/textsecure-qml starting from here, maybe?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
https://github.com/janimo/textsecure-qml starting from here, maybe?
yep. a version for ubuntu phone on go/qml basis. now we need the a developer

The Following User Says Thank You to carepack For This Useful Post:
ok, let's hope someone join us!

damn excited about this - really hope it takes off!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
It would be really nice to see TextSecure as native Sailfish app. I would use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
If the front end's done, and a backend exists - what's really needed for this? Just a few scripts to mediate control between the two, no?

(I'm sure I'm oversimplifying)

The Following User Says Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Would be better integrated as part of the default Messages application by creating a Telepathy connection manager, that way it could theoretically also work on desktop applications like Empathy and whatever else makes use of Telepathy as its backend. Separate applications are ******ed if the option to have everything integrated exists. A native Sailfish OS application, not integrated in Messages, fixes nothing with regards to usability, the most it would be able to do would be to remove the need for the proprietary Android compatibility layer.

edit: why is 're​tard' censored, jesus

edit: also, unfortunately it isn't particularly easy to find whether anyone is actually working on something like this, considering the search results for "telepathy signal" aren't very technology-related, to put it lightly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Düsseldorf, Germany
I would love to have a native Signal/Textsecure messenger, I think it's cleaner than telegram or Threema and of course Whatsapp, since it's fully open and documented.
And yes, I would, like nthn, prefer to have it integrated into the messages application via telepathy (even if the messages framework on Sailfish OS would maybe have to be beefed up for pictures, media etc.)

Edit: for those who speak Go and want to port the Ubuntu thing, there seems to be a Go runtime for Jolla, here is a nice description:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...t=votes&page=1

Last edited by duesselschorsch; 2016-01-29 at 21:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duesselschorsch For This Useful Post:
wow! seriously good find, that is a great starting point!