Does anyone know how Alien Dalvik runs Android applications on Sailfish? Does it use Wayland directly, or it fakes Surface Flinger for Android applications?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
I want to use this already opened tread as an information base about alien dalvik on Sailfish OS.

I know, that is licensed stuff, not much devs know how, this works, but let us bring some information together here about alien dalvik.

Let us understand, how does it work, on which parts of system it depends and how we can reverse engineer it

Maybe this would help to see what we can do with it and how we can play with it :-)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
I can't tell you anything useful about alien dalvik but I hope this project will get some good alternative: https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95631

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdosch For This Useful Post:
Alien-Dalvik abuses the nature of libhybris on SailfishOS to get something rather close to a full android stack, and aside from using a proprietary Dalvik engine I don't think its miles away from what the sfdroid guys are starting to piece together, just a lot further in development and stripped down.

Stskeeps did a bit of a write up of the graphics stack for hybris here http://mer-project.blogspot.co.uk/20...u-drivers.html and its not that hard to see how Alien-Dalvik can fit into that kind of environment.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Thank you guys for the income. My aim is to understand how alien dalvik work, how it depends on special hw-adaptation or kernel-version. Of course the best-case-solution would reverse-engeneer alien-dalvik and get it to work on not (yet) officially supported devices, like my Fairphone 2.

Fairphone 2 has a bit better hardware than Jolla C / Intex, and a different Kernel.
3.0.4 on FP2 and 3.10 on Jolla C / Intex.

I could install aliendalvik from the jolla c repo, the installation went fine, but it doesn't work.

I want to understand, how the aliendalvik package is bundeled on a special Device.
What need to be done to bundle it on another device?
How i can i understand, what is wrong, what is missing, when the aliendalvik is started.

Of course, OpenSource SFDROID would be a mch better free alternative, but as i understand, it need to be compiled on FP2, or am i wrong?
How can it be done?

Questions and questions and again more questions.... :-(
Of course i hope, than one day Fairphone will release an official SailfishOS Version together with Aliendalvik, but when it will be happen stays in the stars....

So if you have some knowledge, how to debug and understood aliendalvik - i will be happy for every income.

Thanks

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by explit View Post
Thank you guys for the income. My aim is to understand how alien dalvik work, how it depends on special hw-adaptation or kernel-version. Of course the best-case-solution would reverse-engeneer alien-dalvik and get it to work on not (yet) officially supported devices, like my Fairphone 2.

Fairphone 2 has a bit better hardware than Jolla C / Intex, and a different Kernel.
3.0.4 on FP2 and 3.10 on Jolla C / Intex.

I could install aliendalvik from the jolla c repo, the installation went fine, but it doesn't work.

I want to understand, how the aliendalvik package is bundeled on a special Device.
What need to be done to bundle it on another device?
How i can i understand, what is wrong, what is missing, when the aliendalvik is started.

Of course, OpenSource SFDROID would be a mch better free alternative, but as i understand, it need to be compiled on FP2, or am i wrong?
How can it be done?

Questions and questions and again more questions.... :-(
Of course i hope, than one day Fairphone will release an official SailfishOS Version together with Aliendalvik, but when it will be happen stays in the stars....

So if you have some knowledge, how to debug and understood aliendalvik - i will be happy for every income.

Thanks
It won't work of course, the difficult part is HW adaptation. You can't install AD as a universal SFOS app (I wish they are.) It's specific for each model, not VM on top of OS.

Take FF2 as example, if you want AD on it you need to do the HW compile for Android part, not copy other device's AD. It will be wasting you time...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Thats because i want to understand how it works.
How this HW-adaptation works, how it will be compiled.

I know, that it is very difficult, but we have alredy seen aliendalvik running on FP2, so somebody compiled it alredy or made this HW-Adaptation, or am i wrong?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin

I know, that it is very difficult, but we have alredy seen aliendalvik running on FP2, so somebody compiled it alredy or made this HW-Adaptation, or am i wrong?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2JCe-ZHHN...%2BJollaES.jpg
If what I have heard is right, it was made by Jolla employees who have tools and sources to do that. It was made night before MWC, just to demo device there. My wild guess would be Stskeeps have made it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info

i think also the repo:

Code:
https://store-repository.jolla.com/releases/2.0.2.48/aliendalvik/fp2-sibon/
exist, but to access it, you need special access rights from jolla. I think the same like for SSU Updates...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2JCe-ZHHN...%2BJollaES.jpg
Yes, Jolla/FP2 SW engineers must have started it. This won't be an easy process to have a stable version of AD, guess that's the reason we are still waiting for official SFOS on FP2 (Hopefully...,)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post: