dumb question. How to set it up after installation?

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
dumb question. How to set it up after installation?
Reboot.

..seriously, it auto-discovers things so you don't have to set things up. The only thing you might ever want to change is the size of the ram cache, and you do so by currently editing the /sbin/swapset script. Remember - whatever the hell you do, use powers of two!

...I'm thinking of making that param a setting somewhere...but it' not something that needs changing often, if at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nkirk View Post
Comp-cache, 65mb file size causes me sudden unexpected reboots, its out of my my tolerable range (which is approx 1 unexpected reboot a month :d ), now using SD swap only ,, same result with SwapSet.
Try not using a strange amount of memory like 65mb, instead, try 64mb.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Do i need to delete the default swap partition on eMMC to disable it? Currently _both_ internal (768 MiB) and SD swap (512MiB) are used :/ as well as the 64MiB compcache device.
Attached Images

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-12-02 at 09:44.

Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Reboot.

..seriously, it auto-discovers things so you don't have to set things up. The only thing you might ever want to change is the size of the ram cache, and you do so by currently editing the /sbin/swapset script. Remember - whatever the hell you do, use powers of two!

...I'm thinking of making that param a setting somewhere...but it' not something that needs changing often, if at all.
So if I don't have swap on sd it will just set up compcache?

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Do i need to delete the default swap partition on eMMC to disable it? Currently _both_ internal (768 MiB) and SD swap (512MiB) are used :/ as well as the 64MiB compcache device.
I might add it as an option, but yes, it currently leaves the built-in swap active as well, just with a lower priority (if supported). No point having it sitting there partitioned and not being used. The kernel will decide if it's better to use SD or the emmc for a given swap page, i.e. if the SD is busy then it can be using the emmc instead of waiting for the SD to be free).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
So if I don't have swap on sd it will just set up compcache?
Exactly. If it doesn't find a swap partition it won't do anything.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Exactly. If it doesn't find a swap partition it won't do anything.
Seems to work OK. Thanks!

Last edited by Gusse; 2011-12-04 at 09:53.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
What are your changes compared to KP49? Also if you are willing to make available your version (and maybe patches), that would be nice.

Reason for asking this, is that now I have instant reboots with KP49 when applying insmod-command. Doesn't matter what size I use (tried several values and aways the same), neither reverting other recent changes made any difference (DSP freq, SR).

Earlier with KP48, I managed to use several different disksize's without problems, meaning without problems with insmod part. Of cource large swaps made device eventually very slow and useless.

EDIT: This post seems to be valid also for eMMC (mmcblk0p3).
@ gregoranderson: Thanks for your trials!
I follow KP49 conservatively (disabling patches when I think they are still unstable), plus I have added some patches from Con Kolivas (extracted from BFS kernel patchset), and one of my own.
Features in KP49 not present: no 720p recording (dspbrige), no bq27x00 module
Features from BFS not present in KP49: more responsive (ck patches), BFQ disk scheduler, ubifs module
Other features not present in KP49 or BFS: enabled comcache statistics (rzscontrol will show data, not 0's), ability to disable the stupid cam's red light
I've been testing my last build for a week now, completely stable, but since I load test kernels from usb at boot, I'll have to rebuild a new set of debs. As soon as it's done I'll upload it to my garage page and I'll post here the link.
Of course I'll make the patchset available with the binaries.
@Gusse and all interested:
Sorry for the delay, using the new overclocked dsp profile from kp49 caused a hard crash while playing a video, which resulted in filesystem corruption, so in the end I had to reflash my device and lost a couple of days restoring everything.
As a result I have changed the profile lowering the dsp clock at the 805 cpu freq (in the kernel-power-settings package), which now seems stable.
I have uploaded my kernel builds (those are the kernel-pwck and kernel-power-settings packages) to my garage page:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...elease_id=4739

Sources are in the tar.gz package.
For now and until pali publishes a new release, to avoid dependency problems with kp49, install my version of the kernel-power-settings package.

DISCLAIMER: I've installed those packages in my device and they work fine, but as usual, no guarantees. Install only under your own responsibility. If your device explodes, dies, or whatever it is your problem.

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-12-04 at 15:41.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
So, in order to get swapset to work, i just need an sdcard, swapset installed and rebooted n900 after it's installation, right?