Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'm insulted by that assumption.
+1

The only device with the search engine OS I have is the OnePlus One I bought some month ago for developing/reverse engineering purposes...
Never had a single device from the fruit company, either

My mobile history is full of Nokia devices (and now Jolla)...

Gesendet von meinem Jolla C mit Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
+1, but...

Does this really work? Looks like the Gnome-KDE dilemma. Gnome: some parameters (too less) - KDE full parameters (too much?). I use gnome but with tweak tool, some gnome extensions, and additional dconf stuff. Less parameters but not good defined.

With KDE you have the problems from the other side: here the user does not know what to do with all the parameters.
Well to be honest, i don't see any problem with KDE. KDE for me is by far the better choice in this respect. If there are settings which i don't need, i just don't use them.

If you fear that the normal user is overcharged. Use a button for simple Ui/ Advanced UI. There are already some applications (like VLC-Player), which do it that way.

Giving just a few parameters, is no solution for me. It doesn't matter how clever the not given parameters are preset. There will be always things which I want to change.

By the way there is already one thing what is really annoying on my Jolla. The last update broke my caldav sync. All my calendars get lost, when the calendar server isn't reachable. For that reason I have to sync manually, because i'm just syncing in my private network. This means I have to go to settings>accounts, have to choose the calendars and sync them from there. That's rubish. I'm usually already in the calendar app when i want to sync. why do I have to leave it and go to settings.

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2016-09-09 at 09:28.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry to paraphrase rather than fully quote:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I'm usually already in the app X when i want to do Y. Why do I have to leave it and go to settings.
Exactly! This is exactly my point.

Regarding the camera resolution in Settings:
I don't know anyone who ever lowers the default resolution of their camera, you can achieve better results by shooting with the default resolution and editing afterwards as necessary. If storage is an issue... <snip>
No, storage is not the issue. The reason for using different formats for different purposes is that:
  • It is more convenient for situations like send by email or upload to various sites (including TMO) that automatically reduce the resolution anyway, so what's the point wasting my bandwidth uploading a large picture?
  • There is still no good tool on Jolla to resize the picture after taking it. There is Resize in Harbour but with an interface that sucks so much I stopped using it months ago.
  • The Camera settings in Settings do not really let you choose different resolutions, only different formats (4:3 or 16:9). I choose the one that is best suitable for the picture I am taking. This can happen multiple times in a single session (for example, 16:9 portraits look horrible).

I'm insulted by that assumption.
Sorry, insulting anyone was not my intention.

The truth is that it was those companies that introduced the idea that settings are global and people got deformed by that view without realizing it. Not just that, but many other things introduced by them infiltrated into the mainstream and got accepted as "the only way". For example, the need to register an account to access the application store. Or the idea that media files must be indexed and put in a large database. Or that the destination folder for downloaded files is hard-coded. And so on and so forth.

You may try to deny it but that is just about all you can do about it.

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-09-09 at 10:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*]The Camera settings in Settings do not really let you choose different resolutions, only different formats (4:3 or 16:9). I choose the one that is best suitable for the picture I am taking. This can happen multiple times in a single session (for example, 16:9 portraits look horrible).[/list]
...But you hopefully know, that camera plus can do that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
...But you hopefully know, that camera plus can do that.
No, I did not know that, thanks for the head-up. I try to minimize the number of installed applications. I have one Camera, I did not try alternatives. Not that the camera is that great anyway; I tend to use it only when I have nothing better at hand.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry, insulting anyone was not my intention.
Don't worry, it was meant tongue in cheek! I can see where you're coming from. I think the simple/advanced switch mentioned earlier could help, but it has to be implemented really well so as not to make the simple version too simple. My parents have an Android tablet for which the manufacturer made a 'simple mode', but it's really simplified to the point even a child would be offended, you can change nothing at all. Worse, the simple mode is only available in English. (Maybe there's a deeper reason for that?) The 'advanced mode' on the other hand just throws everything at you and of course this causes trouble as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Email applications, for one. Or an application for Facebook which does all the things Jolla's Facebook implementation doesn't do. Google, VK, ... Anything can share an account, just like any camera application can share the same camera. But again, so far there's no point to it yet.

Also, adding accounts in any GNOME application automatically adds them to the GNOME accounts section, or at least that should happen.
and that leads us to.......
anyway, sometimes even the good idea gets a very bad implementation and then that implementation drags on forever up to the point where the whole idea looks bad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Thanks kinggo, I missed this bit:

Anything can share an account, just like any camera application can share the same camera.
There is a huge difference between sharing a camera and sharing accounts. A camera is a hardware resource and as such it has to be shared. There is just no way around it. You could just as well argue that all applications should share accounts because they all share the same screen, speaker, RAM and CPU.

Accounts are a soft resource. Not just software but soft. That means, you can have as many of them as you want. There is no technical need to share them. In fact you can find gazillions of requests on TJC to separate accounts for Phone and WhatsIt, or whatever it is called.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Well to be honest, i don't see any problem with KDE. KDE for me is by far the better choice in this respect. If there are settings which i don't need, i just don't use them.
Sure - if you have the needed engineering capacity for that.

But at least the recent KDE5 releases seem to me as an outside observer from what issues the KDE5 users I know have - as rather unstable and maybe a little unfinished.

That could quite possibly be caused by the lack of both developer & QA capability - not necessarily due to too much configuration, but rather due to too big ambitions.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: