Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I am asking Nokia, to build us a tablet again. I have a phone, I tether to it, and its cheap. I want a 810 replacement, with similar form, but faster cpu, more ram.

Go make your MS phones, give me back my Nokia tablet!

Please? Seriously?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
It's a nice thought but if they were to start producing tablets again what would the OS be?

Symbian wouldnt work on tablets, MicroSoft don't have a tablet OS ready for Nokia to borrow. We know about Nokia and Maemo/MeeGo, that's possible but unlikely. Also they wouldnt choose WebOS or Android/Chrome, and wouldnt be offered iOS by Apple.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-04-22 at 16:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that Nokia is too busy running its business into the ground to worry about us.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I'd vote in favour of completley open sourcing maemo, instead; can't see why they are refusing to now that have moved on.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I am asking Nokia, to build us a tablet again. I have a phone, I tether to it, and its cheap. I want a 810 replacement, with similar form, but faster cpu, more ram.
I'm with you -- I have no desire for a smartphone b/c I have no desire to pay a large monthly fee. But we seem to be in the minority. If Nokia's next MeeGo device is a tablet, I'm guessing that it will be ten inches, not pocket-sized.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Did they lose money on the 770/800/810?

Who cares what OS it runs, if they were smart, they would make it easy to run Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora and join the party.

If you build it, they will come
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
I'd vote in favour of completley open sourcing maemo, instead; can't see why they are refusing to now that have moved on.
They have probably sinked ludicrous amounts of money to Maemo and Harmattan/MeeGo. Trollech/Qt that's a solid piece of it all costed them alone 220 million euros and that's probably a drop in the water they have spent to this whole Qt rounded projects as a whole.

They are still a company.

As for a tablet i have been lusting a Nokia designed tablet running MeeGo for a long time. Would have had great to see Nokia's take on these larger than 7" tablets. It's certain that Nokia will still have a tablet, but i'm totally lost on what OS that could be and when(4 months or 5 years).
Android did not get much of help from the phone side and they got ~40 apps for a 3.0. It would not sound totally out of this world still to have MeeGo tablet along with WP phones from Nokia.

But who knows. I have already pre-ordered Asus Eee pad transformer.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
just give us a high-end hardware maemo phone... im still with maemo.. loving it until now...

The Following User Says Thank You to chase15 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
It's pretty straight-forward to assume Nokia's tablets will run Windows 8. Microsoft is pretty busy these days developing Win 8 with full tablet support. And in light of the Nokia-Microsoft partnership, I assume a Windows-powered Nokia tablet is on the horizon.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geojoking For This Useful Post:
am waiting on kubuntu mobile to take off