Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I align with free speech. I am complaining here, please don't close the thread

Nokia's problems are Nokia's fault. I understand you feel a personal connection to the community. However I feel if we can actually feel and hear the pain it will get better. If we ignore it, it will not go away.
Free speech is a good thing.
However, distracting a forum from its original purpose is a bad thing.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
FYI: the community is asking me to act on trolls. I'm not catering to the will of a malcontented minority but the general will of the community.
Yes!
I was also part of the community which asked you to do so!
And I am one of the people who ask you to continue your good work!

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the thread you linked to proved that some people here are, in fact, idiots. they have a right to be treated accordingly. - seriously, this community deserves to be protected from such verbal excrements. i mean... new n900 users and developers come here looking for help and support. do you want them to be greeted with these stinking threads?
Benny, you are right! I couldn't say it better myself!

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
no reason not to. they don't help anyone. they are made to destroy. so why not "destroy" them instead?
Well, destroying them is a good idea.

Still, if some people would prefer not to, I would be happy if all the whining threads would be merged into one.

Originally Posted by Corso85 View Post
How about. We make it clear that this is not a service forum for nokia? have a banner? stickies? you know"? make it clear?
This is a good idea.

One way or another, for this organization/forum to survive the growth of MeeGo, it WILL need to be redefined to some extent. How that manifests is hard to say right now. But it does need to be discussed, continually, and I believe there are already some threads dedicated to that...
Well, one thing is clear:
When MeeGo is released and MeeGo devices appear, the trolls will go to meego.com instead.

When that time comes, this forum can continue its real purpose: to help people exchange ideas about devices and apps and development for them. Finally, without the junk, useless posts from trolls.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Written rules will, as pointed out, turn into games where people spend their time trying to use the rules to further themselves or their agendas.

My suggestion would be to implement a community vote. People can vote other people down, and in the end have them banned for a day, a week or whatever is fitting.

With enough negative votes a member loses the ability to create threads. With even more negative votes a member loses the ability to comment. A member that's just a day old gets kicked out with a minimal number of votes.

To be allowed to vote, you need to have an account that is old enough, has enough posts or some combination of these. You lose your right to vote if enough people vote you down.

With this in place, the community will be more self-sufficient and not all that dependant on moderators. Moderators can focus on their core activity: moderation.

Details as limit for votes, who gets to vote and the such are parameters for the site owner and moderators to decide on.

The basic assumption here is that there are many more wanted and appreciated contributors than there are trolls and "asshats". Another assumption is that it's possible to trust a community to actually regulate itself. If one, or both, of these are false, my suggested system decays into chaos.

Luckily, maemo.org seems like a place filled with intelligent and reasonable people that actually want to be constructive and this makes be believe that my assumptions are true.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Joorin, this reminds me of what StackOverflow is doing right now.
And it is very good for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Well, not to add any controversy, but not ALWAYS (see the "Meego in N810" thread)
I have been doing my best to stay on topic, but this complaint IMO is not well thought out or in good faith.

Yes, the thread may not have broken the rules specifically, but keeping in mind the below, I think it was the right decision.

The request there was made, in good faith, by prolific contributors, not only to this project, but to the very work you mention. In addition, MeeGo is not Maemo, regardless of the devices on which it is being put on.

This in mind, would you really be happy for the thread to be reopened, despite the people doing the actual work not participating? Seems a bit stubborn and pointless, IMHO.

(i am on my n900, responses might be slow)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Well, one thing is clear:
When MeeGo is released and MeeGo devices appear, the trolls will go to meego.com instead.

When that time comes, this forum can continue its real purpose: to help people exchange ideas about devices and apps and development for them. Finally, without the junk, useless posts from trolls.
That sure sounds reasonable in theory... but here's what I expect will play out:

1. MeeGo becomes more popular and activity here falls off

2. Trolls show up at MeeGo

3. Lower tolerance at MeeGo results in stricter moderation

4. Trolls return here en masse

Consider: the reason that trolling seems higher here lately is a result of increased activity from determined troublemakers (note that I exclude those with legitimate complaints!) combined with steadily decreasing activity from contributing members who (hello) are slowly migrating to MeeGo. Also, trolls are disproportionally loud and prolific.

So the percentages shift to the negative and thus the overall tone changes likewise.

My "solution": swift, sure, constant action on obvious trolls. IMO h3llraz0r fits that description. If someone can explain what he has contributed to the positive, I would reconsider that assessment. But to me he's one of those to be quickly and repeatedly banned outright until he finally tires of it and moves on. If that offends purists, oh well. I guess just be glad I'm only a minor moderator here with little power.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-12 at 19:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Whats meego?

I get it - I got it, I know it's good
The rhymes I write - you wish you would I'm never in training - my voice is not straining
People always biting and I'm sick of complaining
So I went into the locker room during classes
Went into your locker and I smashed your glasses
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2010-06-12 at 19:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Well, not to add any controversy, but not ALWAYS (see the "Meego in N810" thread)
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=317

The thread was not "closed".. it was requested, by the OP, to be closed there as it belonged somewhere else.

So there it is. If you want to participate in it, by all means.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have had bad experience a couple of time with "asshat"-type forums. I remember a couple of times I was attacked totally without justification in some long thread. And I really had done nothing to bring about the attack. Then, when I mildly tried to defend myself, we were immediately asked to go to the "pissing" or whatever forum. In other words, for defending myself I was branded as the exact equivalent of the person attacking me for no reason.

So I'm not looking forward to being thrown into an "asshat" area just because I have the wrong opinion.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Whats meego?
Huh, this was a very good joke!

That sure sounds reasonable in theory... but here's what I expect will play out:

1. MeeGo becomes more popular and activity here falls off

2. Trolls show up at MeeGo

3. Lower tolerance at MeeGo results in stricter moderation

4. Trolls return here en masse
Well, since all the new devices will have MeeGo, the new trolls don't (and shouldn't) know about Maemo and maemo.org. So, by the time point 4 happens, no troll will know what maemo.org is.

The part "noone will know what maemo.org is" scares me as well, but we could advertise it as a welcoming community for application developers and power users.

Consider: the reason that trolling seems higher here lately is a result of increased activity from determined troublemakers (note that I exclude those with legitimate complaints!) combined with steadily decreasing activity from contributing members who (hello) are slowly migrating to MeeGo. Also, trolls are disproportionally loud and prolific.
Yes, this is true.

My "solution": swift, sure, constant action on obvious trolls. IMO h3llraz0r fits that description. If someone can explain what he has contributed to the positive, I would reconsider that assessment. But to me he's one of those to be quickly and repeatedly banned outright until he finally tires of it and moves on. If that offends purists, oh well. I guess just be glad I'm only a minor moderator here with lttle power.
Agreed.
Please, consider PradaBrada too, please!
I think we can live without his "contributions" to this community.
(Although I'm sure he'll just register another account. But at least without that ridiculous-looking avatar of his.)

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Joorin, this reminds me of what StackOverflow is doing right now.
And it is very good for them.
There has even been serious research done in this field on post graduate level.

I have my own years spent as an admin to draw from. To actually trust the community is one of the most effective ways to engage people in it. When you know that what you think counts, you tend to use your, albeit limited, power with care but not hesitate to actually act when you think you should.

Assuming that the people on the other side of the keyboards are mostly intelligent and constructive people goes a long way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, we the people