Originally Posted by ysss View Post
We all instinctively think the rant subforum may be a good solution to this problem, but perhaps we may be overlooking something negative about it?
Let's hear why a rant subforum may not be a good idea....

excessive amount of negativity that can snowball into a crowd of /b/tards??
As long as they keep to their area though: Who cares
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Yes but is the easy solution really the best?... Ever?
Sure-- for the one getting shot at for sticking his neck out.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
I am not certain about a rant section. Great in theory, but unless there is moderation to back it up, negativity will just grow around it and spew all over the rest.

I'd rather pull the weed out by the root rather than cutting the branch..

(on my n900, so please be patient if you want a reply.)

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think this forum is one of the most free and lenient one while keeping a workable and productive structure.

I've always held that in high regard and i guess i can appreciate that because i've seen and participated in other forums where things are either too free (anarchy reigns, nothing gets done) or the extreme opposite (everything is restricted, nothing gets done).

I guess if the official MeeGo forum is too... Un-maemo, we can still modify this shed to retain the community and what's great about it and just tack on a new label to the clubhouse? "Ye Olde Pre-MeeGo Supporter Club" or whatever.

Let's not lose ourselves here. There's something truly worth saving and holding on to.
Just rename it back to ITT and we can also adopt other tablets into the discussion (Meego, iPad, Android, WebOS).

I've also have been on a fair range of forums. It is possible to have productive discussions in an unmoderated forum. But it takes one troll before it all goes to hell. A shame since I loved the community and met my (now-ex/good friends) from there. I feel that way about this forum too. I love(d) the community gathered around the devices, but the way things are going I rather just seperate the forum into two. Productive dicussion and noise.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In general: I apologize to you all for getting defensive. Just a lot of frustration building lately on the overall topic. Damed if one does and damned if one doesn't. And as always I can't help but think that silent and heavy moderation is sooo much easier... for the moderator.
Can you delete? Deleting is so cool. I can already see how it'll roll

Nokia su$##5 j!!! (Deleted)

Where did my Nokia suck#$# thread go!!! (Deleted)

Wtf, you fu45#$%#$! (Deleted)

Ok, that it #@$@# all!! (Deleted)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
As long as they keep to their area though: Who cares
If they're completely ignored and treated like trash then no one would use that area anyway then

They want to vent if there are lustener.. Sort of like going to a shrink... Or unloading stuff in a red light district
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
Not to be rude. But seriously......why are you here?
Maybe because, like Texrat, he is one of the heroes of this site. Whoever doesn't understand that about either of them hasn't been paying attention over the years.

The fact that this site has gone a long ways towards chasing Penguinbait away from here is hugely to its discredit.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I really think we need a vote with Reggie's involvement in a "Backyard", a real "By the flagpole", or "Rant" subcategory. So far the general attitude of this thread is in support of such an area (including leaving it out of New Posts).

I've seen this brought up several times, but never seen anything officially addressed on it.
Well I was half joking when I requested a asshats forum, a place for rants is not necessarily a bad thing.

However I am not also against RULES. IF there is well documented rules that can be pointed to as to why someone was banned or thread was closed, at least I could put some community support behind this. If its up to moderators and complainers, I think its too subjective. If there is rules that you continue to break at least I can respect that.

I think though, perhaps the rants or complaints threads in one location that again don't show up in active topics is the way to go.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
In general: I apologize to you all for getting defensive. Just a lot of frustration building lately on the overall topic. Damed if one does and damned if one doesn't. And as always I can't help but think that silent and heavy moderation is sooo much easier... for the moderator.
No problem - we know you better than that.

The general topic was sufficiently expressed that it is important to me and I responded, but the topic has been overshadowed. I do think there has been a change in the community operation and a rants subforum will not suffice to address my concerns.

I guess in due time I will have to start a new thread to discuss the thread that raised my concern when it was closed for no good reason that's been stated. (and I will say that the moderator did not respond to my PM)

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=15

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Just rename it back to ITT and we can also adopt other tablets into the discussion (Meego, iPad, Android, WebOS).
I so wish! This place often feels like a debate site, which it wouldn't be if the dice weren't loaded in favor of Nokia.

Tags
community, we the people