Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Does that mean that we'll be able to use clutter and the full Fremantle goodies?
Regarding Mer: We'll see. There might be benefit to a slim old hildon desktop perhaps using GL for some effects and then apps have full access to 3d otherwise.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Every time I see this thread updated I get an heart attack...
Reading qgil post made my day brighter

WOW!
Respect to you Maemo/Nokia guys!
I'd have thought this case is lost, thumbs up!

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The current idea is that TI or an associated partner will provide either an OSS implementation of the driver known to contain some bugs or a closed implementation with probably better performance (although still not 100% commercial quality) or both. It would a one time delivery with no commitment for additional support.
Understood, and thanks!

My take in these discussions has been that an OSS driver is always preferrable since it would give to the community the chances to improve it, as opposed to a closed binary.
Indeed, and also: a closed driver would be more or less tied to specific versions of the kernel and/or xorg (depending on exactly which parts are closed), and is likely to become obsolete in a matter of months. If an open driver is at all possible it would be (IMHO) infinitely preferable, even if it comes with known bugs, bad performance etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Whooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa!!

(/me subscribes to thread)

I would just like to restate what speculatrix said above: the amount of goodwill generated would more than offset the cost, particularly when it comes to future purchasing decisions.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Indeed, and also: a closed driver would be more or less tied to specific versions of the kernel and/or xorg (depending on exactly which parts are closed), and is likely to become obsolete in a matter of months. If an open driver is at all possible it would be (IMHO) infinitely preferable, even if it comes with known bugs, bad performance etc.
Note that even a good oss driver is of little to no use if it's obfuscated and/or there's no hardware documentation accompanying it, so, please, ask them if they can also release some documentation.
Anyway, this is great news, thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oh, wow, great news!

What a lovely treat to get with my morning coffee!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I wish I could give this more praise but considering how late in the product line this is coming, I can't really fully appreciate it as much. Don't get me wrong, it's still appreciated but it's a whole lot less exciting now that whole new generation of hardware is coming along and I expect all the excitement for the N8x0 line is probably going to quickly dwindle.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Indeed, and also: a closed driver would be more or less tied to specific versions of the kernel and/or xorg (depending on exactly which parts are closed), and is likely to become obsolete in a matter of months.
Will be? The kernel and "xorg" we're using on the tablets haven't really been keeping up and are already long obsolete.

I know I'm being cynical but I'm not going to get all bubbly happy because they're finally opening up a driver for a product I purchased almost two years ago and was, back then, told it would be "future proof" because it was based on open-source... then took it home to find out that a lot of components used closed source blobs.

Anyway, thanks for the info and I'm glad they've finally opened the drivers. It's about effin time, though. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm kind of pissed about the time it took instead of planning an open architecture from the start.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
... it's a whole lot less exciting now that whole new generation of hardware is coming along and I expect all the excitement for the N8x0 line is probably going to quickly dwindle.
True, there's new hardware coming, but there's lots of folks who have bought an N810 in the last few months when the price has been hovering around $200, and it would be so sweet for this growing user base to be able to get hardware graphics acceleration.

This could breathe some serious new life into the old hardware, especially with Mer coming along so nicely to make good use of those drivers. And that's the main reason why we don't want closed drivers; Mer will be using a newer kernel, and having to hack a closed driver for a dead kernel into the new kernel would be sad.

To those of us who have been following this saga for almost a year now, this is seriously good news. It seemed so unlikely last year, with so many corporate and legal briers choking the path. Now there's a path out, and the first shafts of sunlight are breaking through.

Of course, we'll still need talented programmers from the community to step up and get things working well, but we seem to have a lot of those around here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: