Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
They finally figured out that symbian is dead. So a site named symbian guru... probably not a big advertising draw.

Remember to choose your domain names carefully, kids. Newton-Gurus.com isn't a big draw these days either. I'm thinking PalmOS-guys.org is dead.

Daves iPaq became Mobility Today (good save there, go generic)

I used to hang out at PPCGeeks.com, which still exists but is morphing into a mostly Android place while waiting (until next year) for windows mobile 7.

Welcome to the future.
But... but, what you just described, in reverse what happened to Internet Tablet Talk.... it went from that general purpose name to Talk.Maemo.Org, which basically seals the deal for this site.

And MeeGo.com seems to be less about community and more about... well, I've yet to figure that out.

But there's All About MeeGo that just started up. And again, that's too specific of a name given your prior post's advice.

So with that said... where's the logic? Symbian just got released to open source. I thought that was a good thing. But it seems to be considered a dead OS now by the above posts.

Wouldn't labeling Symbian dead be a bad thing? I'm seriously confused.

My advice? Drop symbian and Nokia when MeeGo and Symbian 4 are about a year old. At least then you'll have a better idea of their direction...Personally, I think this is gonna be Nokia's most exciting season coming up.

Originally Posted by Odd_gunnic View Post
My advice? Drop symbian and Nokia when MeeGo and Symbian 4 are about a year old. At least then you'll have a better idea of their direction...Personally, I think this is gonna be Nokia's most exciting season coming up.
No...I've learned my lesson. We said the same thing when the N97 was coming out. That was gonna be the flagship and it was gonna kick all other phone butts. Well...we know how that turned out.

Then the N900 came along and even though Nokia never touted it as a flagship, it was supposed to be their most advanced device. Well...as advanced devices go...the N900 can't do simple things that my phones from 4 years ago could do. What good is it if a phone can launch a space shuttle but can't remember the playback position of podcasts and videos?

In any case. Nokia is gonna fade into the background like Sony Ericsson. The ppl at Symbian Guru know it. I know it. There's just some people that haven't figured it out yet.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
It is amazing how many people got tricked by the N97. I knew that it wasnt a great phone by the lack of a gpu. Seriously, did you all not see the lack of hardware muscle? The N97 never had flagship hardware to begin with. Seems to me that many were tricked by the muscle car qwerty ant touchscreen exterior and didn't see the 4 cylinder engine beneath. I made the decision to stick with my N82 and quake trilogy and I still don't regret it..

Don't believe the hype, it is opinion. Hardware is factual. As bad as the N900 Software support may be, you cant change the fact that it is a powerful piece of tech and that is what keeps the N900 successful within realistic expectations.. What is there to save the N97? Software? no Hardware? no Come on, what did people expect? Take away the GPUs from all leading phones and OSes, Iphone, Android highend, WebOs Windows Phone 7 and the ALL become "meh" and lose their flagship status, wow factor, versatilty, adaptability to hardware acclelerated games and UIs and the are delegated down to midrange smartphones. Soooooooooo really, what did everyone expect the N97 to do? Were people not aware of such a hardware shortcoming OR was it their first Nokia smartphone? These questions have been bothering me since the launch of all Nseries that lacked GPUs. They all lost their right to the Nseries name in my opinion and were destined to be beat by flashier phones with GPU accelerated UIs and games.

I can't be the only one who saw non GPU nokias as a recipe for disappointment. Didn't some of you have phones with GPUs before buying the N97?

Last edited by Deaconclgi; 2010-07-02 at 06:33.

One vendor / OS - specific fansite less, is one more step towards a saner society.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by techngro View Post
I can't say I blame them.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/s...s-losing-hard/
There was some discussion about this on Qaiku yesterday: http://www.qaiku.com/go/7stm/

In high level I think Nokia's strategy with MeeGo and Qt is a sound one, but they really need to communicate it better.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
tablet-guru? been there, done that, closed down because Maemo wasn't going anywhere big (oh, boy, was that wrong)

.. to become ..

maemo-guru .. been there, done that, closed down when MeeGo came along.

[...]

That plus just having the wrong kind of personality.
that probably explains all of it.

The n97 has been out for a while now, why did they suddenly get frustrated with Nokia now?

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
They finally figured out that symbian is dead.
So again they're mistaken? How can they "figure out" something which is not true?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
The n97 has been out for a while now, why did they suddenly get frustrated with Nokia now?
A person who calls himself "Guru" and opens and shuts down more fan-sites per year than the average American even visits... Come on. You don't ask real questions about this, do you?