does anyone know about ubuntu mobile, will that be capable with the nokia series?

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Very true about the new wave of 770 owners... and yes, it's simply embarrassing how often Opera just vanishes. No "low memory" dialog. No "can't load this page" error. Just bye-bye. I mean, there's a lot of pages my S60 browser will choke on, but at least it stops to complain, and lets me navigate back through my history to browse something else.

I really don't think Nokia understands how much of this experience poisons our view of the platform (re: performance and support) as a whole, and that's a crying shame.

First post!!

Anyways I would like to respond to the question about opera crashing. I am quite positive that other versions of opera will automatically bring up the old pages you were viewing when they crashed. It was a really handy feature which i used extensively on another internet appliance (ia1). It had similar specs to the 770 and ran opera 5. Opera was always running out of memory and would crash. I would then proceed to bring up opera again and a dialog box opened up asking if I wanted to restore the previous pages. BAM!!! i was back in action, my mail account was still logged in, etc... . So why hasent this feature been turned on in the 770 version?

Originally Posted by inventeur View Post
That is pretty ridiculous indeed. Especially considering it's the main function of the Internet tablet device. I'm now using Minimo 0.2 which not only supports more websites (Web 2.0), but is also more stable after increasing the cache size (about:config, just like regular Firefox).

The only downside to Minimo is it's rendering time. On 'advanced' websites this can take up to 30 seconds. It's said this is due to all the extra javascript etc. it renders, which Opera normally just ignores (or crashes because of). I have found increasing the http connection limit (again via about:config) seems to counteract this problem somewhat*.

* might also be placebo.. heh!
What would you recommend for cache size? and is this memory cache or disk cache?

Thanks!

All right, this is kind of getting ridiculous. Can anyone tell me an actual date that we can expect this new improved 2007 OS for the 770 or is this just all talk? I really liked the first HE edition, but had to switch back to OS 2006 because of a lot of issues (mainly audio and video streaming, among many other issues)

I really doubt that anyone here can tell you a date unless someone from Nokia comes out and specifically says a target date is X. It is too bad they are being so quiet about when the updated HE edition is coming.

Really dun think any update version of 2007he will ever come! I will keep using it2006 until the day the 770 die itself.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Really dun think any update version of 2007he will ever come! I will keep using it2006 until the day the 770 die itself.
Quim Gil (qgil) from Nokia/Maemo posted a comment on this the other week - why not read it?

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-09-03 at 15:49.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
as Internettablettalk is no official Nokia communication forum, why is there no announcements/information of hacker edition 2007 on Garage project pages?

I just got my 770 this past week and I have seen opera crash so many time that it is getting ridiculous. I hope they have an updated version of the OS soon.