Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
According to the election timetable, there are only two days left (until 23:59 UTC on September 15) to make nominations for the next term of the Maemo Community Council. There have been just two nominations too far. To nominate yourself (or someone else), please send a declaration email to maemo-community@maemo.org.

This may be an important election and council term. There will be a referendum that authorizes future councils to change the governance structure of the maemo community.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Only two?!?

Comeone guys, make nominations (or nominate youself), SD69 is absolutely right, these are important elections.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
@SD69 - so, with only two nominations, what is the procedure?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Seeing that there were not enough nominations I tried to nominate myself at the last moment. But the only mail account I have set up on the N900 is not the one I have registered here so the mail awaits moderation. I hope it is not too late.

As I say in the mail, I don't feel I will have the time required to give as much as I would want to maemo.org, but seeing there are not enough nominees any combination of efforts is towards the better. I surely don't want to take the place of anybody who wants to devote his efforts for this community.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
BTW i've tried to find a list of candidates so far and failed. Do you know if such list exists and where?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
i just checked the relevant messages here,
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...r/subject.html

and saw that near the closing SD69 nominated himself because the candidates were only two. The strange thing is I never got a reply to my email (that it was accepted as not spam)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I would have hoped that every person complaining about the council would have run, to do better...

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I really don't get it, lots of members posting for maemo future and only few nominations. Why is that, shyness, laziness or what?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I want to confirm my nomination by Rob Bauer for the Council Elections.

The brief introduction follows:

I am 33 years, old, married, have two kids, and are currently located in Belgrade, Serbia.
My professional occupation keeps me the world of propitiatory software development and have no commercial interests in maemo.
I have experience with Embedded Linux development of arm based devices, but my main expertise is security and cryptography. I have mixed feelings about Nokia's behaviour in the past, but overall I don't regret buying and owning 770 and N810.

I've will try to summarise the reasons for accepting nomination.

As we all know Nokia has decided to focus its corporate politics on partnership with big corporations such as Intel and Microsoft. The relationship with Intel has shifted the company support to meego, and much of the community contributors, have moved in that direction. At the time, it looked as next logical evolution step for this project. We are still eagerly awaiting to see the results of this direction.

In February, another significant event occurred: Nokia has decided to completely change its corporate and product strategy with partnership with Microsoft.

The composition of the above events caused/will cause maemo.org to loose its primary supporter - Nokia, which used to provide funding, infrastructure, software and hardware development.

During the last month it was confirmed that Nokia funding of maemo.org and infrastructure will end at the end 2012, causing a widely debated "The End is Coming: What do we do next?" debate.

Some have argued that the most prudent way is simply to let the nature do its work.
Some have argued that we still have time.
Some have argued that we need an instant action.

Each group of opinions have valid points.

I've belong to the third group, and have accepted the nomination out of stubborn determination to just let things go down. I think maemo and its community deserve to survive. In order to achieve that we can not afford to wait and see if Nokia decides to reverses its decisions. Before the end, we have to workable plan, that can be fully put in effect, once the Nokia completely pulls out.

This plan should cover funding, infrastructure, software maintenance for existing hardware and future project goals such as introduction of a new hardware and cooperation with other free software communities.

I am very happy to see project such as Cordia HD going forward and the initiative they have in providing alternative hardware platform. I hope more community members will find the motivation to help this project, instead of useless arguing for the sake of arguing.

Best regards,
Momcilo Majic

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Based on what was posted at maemo-community@maemo.org, the candidates are:
  • Jeremiah C. Foster
  • Robert Bauer
  • Stephen Gadsby (unconfirmed)
  • Momcilo Majic

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...ection_process

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post: