Notices

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I suspect MicroB beats fennec on start-ups because as I understand it, aspects of the MicroB browser are preloaded into memory when the N900 boots. So microb is always partially open. (Keep in mind Conversations uses modified browser windows to open up each conversation too, so the part of microb that's always open is multi-purpose.)

Honestly though, if only Fennec used the stock status/menu bar instead of their own at the top, I would switch to whatever the latest nightly build is. I would /strongly prefer/ to also have the swirl-to-zoom gesture and the mouse cursor selection, but even with the lack of those I'd be willing to convert.

(Not so much to Opera as my main browser, but that's mainly because I don't like non-desktop pages and at some level I still care about having flash, though the constantly worsenning out-dated-ness of our flash player makes that less and less relevant. But major respect to Opera for continued support. I do use it on my N900 occasionally, even if I'm unwilling to use it as my main browser.)
the new update for Opera has a "mask-as-desktop" option which is better than microB and firefox.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cloudstrife1ph View Post
kinda sad and doesn't care at the same time. fennec has a potential and the browser is a good one. but, a somewhat failed project that didn't met the expectations with it's slow start ups and resource hungry. can't understand why microb still beats firefox when it's the image of the former and the former get updates...
Right, I just don't get how they could shoot out one new build after the other and still it's way sllllllloooooooooooowwww!
How can they still not nail it after version 3785 something?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
the new update for Opera has a "mask-as-desktop" option which is better than microB and firefox.
Yeah, I just noticed the update mentioned in the Opera 11 announce thread. As for "better"? That's subjective. I'll reserve a full opinion for once I've updated Opera and played with it, but unless Opera can use the built-in Flash yet, that's already one thing it's inferior at. I concede however that it's probably better at more basic things at this point, since web rendering engines keep improving and MicroB is comparatively old.

But I suspect my opinion will be that it's equal to MicroB - and once that happens, my use will still default to MicroB because of the little UI things like swirl-to-zoom. *Shrug*

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
I keep up with the Fennec beta builds and I noticed that Mozilla stopped making them for Maemo as of a few weeks ago. I could not find a posting about why they were not being built so I shot off an e-mail. The response is disheartening.
fennec_7.0.1_armel.deb is there: http://moff.mozilla.com/latest/maemo.../binary-armel/ .

Are we talking about version > 7.0.1 or nightly builds only?

fennec is up to version 10 for meamo on the nightly builds. the last 'offical release' was version 7. who knows how long more it'll go on though as the first poster said.

fennec 10 plays html5 videos
microb doesn't.
opera doesn't.
chromium doesn't.

if opera doesn't play html5 by now it may never do so as opera basically 'invented' html5 video.

edit: i love opera btw and use it more than microb now since the latest version.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Fennec is not bad, but it is useless for the N900. It requires far too much RAM to be useable. It is the Swap usage that makes it slow. I wish the N900 had more RAM

I switched to Opera as my main browser. Sure it has its quirks, like no flash, and MicroB has a better interface and rendering (IMO), but it is not resourceful at all. Opera is fast and while using it I don't have to reboot daily. MicroB uses quite some RAM too, which ends up to Swap, which then for some reason slows Maemo a lot in the long run.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
What is with people and having MicroB slow down their N900s? I have never (that I can remember) experienced such an issue.

Now, I have swappiness at 25 (instead of default 100), vfs_cache_pressure at 200 instead of 100, and a number of other memory/data-write relevant settings altered. So maybe that's part of it?

To be honest, I could not care less for Fennec. I was trying every Nightly build for a long time, and it *always* amazed me, how - after all this time - they can't produce something at least semi-usable. Ironically, because I love Firefox/Iceweasel for Desktop.

In my opinion, microB beats up Fennec/Opera totally, and with just small addition of tabs and language correction addons, it would be ideal. Still, for "serious" tasks, I use Iceweasel via Easy Debian. And it amuse me much, that full-blown Iceweasel with quite a number of addons is more usable than *any* incarnation of Fennec. Sure, sometimes I got slowdowns in Iceweasel, but with correct settings and swap on microSD, it's totally usable.

When I'm on travel, but in range of high-speed wifi, I use even more uncommon setting - +ssh'ing to my desktop PC and using Firefox/Iceweasel via remote desktop. Again, with correct settings and fast wifi connection, it's working real-time and nobody notice I'm remote'ing. To be honest, I'm writing this post using such method.

---

In case of so many options for comfortable browsing on N900, we could rather feel sorry for Fennec - it didn't stand up to the task and failed miserably. "Their" loss.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-15 at 23:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
yeah, the problem is as html5 video takes over from flash video, those of us who'd like to keep our n900s will only have fennec to play those videos. so i'm happy that fennec at least does that. chromium & opera for n900 don't do html5 video and probably never will unfortunately.

my browser setup is now like my media player setup, lots of programs because there is no one perfect solution.

1. opera for normal surfing, the latest version is superb , imo.
2. microb for playing flash content
3. fennec for html5 videos (also plays flash, but don't use it, prefer microb)
4. chromium for java applets (with the offical oracle/sun arm java plugin installed)

it could be worse i suppose, at least i CAN access all this active content.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
What is with people and having MicroB slow down their N900s? I have never (that I can remember) experienced such an issue.
It happens for me with particular sites. BoardGameGeek is one. Nfl.com is another. Also, any forum site that has a lot of YouTube enbeds just kills the browser.

Tags
goodbye nokia, winding down