Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Do you need a specific default.conf for this .avi file? I used the one linked in the "how to" post, but I was not able to enter the last line of code (ln -s /opt/n900_extremely_short.avi), without getting this error in xTerm: "1n: not found." I boot up now with no welcome at all, which is better than the Nokia Hands, but what am I doing wrong?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, England
Does what it says on the tin. Short sharp and to the point. awesome.

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Do you need a specific default.conf for this .avi file? I used the one linked in the "how to" post, but I was not able to enter the last line of code (ln -s /opt/n900_extremely_short.avi), without getting this error in xTerm: "1n: not found." I boot up now with no welcome at all, which is better than the Nokia Hands, but what am I doing wrong?
you typed "1n" not "ln"

and of course you have to take the default.conf in which the filename is "n900_extremely_short.avi" or you just rename the .avi to maemo.avi and use the first default.conf from the how to ^^

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Not 1(one)n. Is it I(eye)n or l(el)n?

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Not 1(one)n. Is it I(eye)n or l(el)n?
As stated above it's LN (lowercase)...

ln creates links...

-s means symbolic...

So the command ln -s target link creates a link from (target/original) to (link)..

Read more here or here...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-02-03 at 20:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Got it. It worked! And thanks for the read links.

Thanks to Op for the video. I've ran the instructions in the other thread and the video now loads up on booting, but Im getting what feels like odd behaviour. I wanted to run it past everyone to make sure it's ok.

When i start up the phone now I get the white "Nokia" screen, then the flashing white loading dots. The dots disappear and it goes all black for a few seconds. Then I get the flashing loading dots again, then the new boot video from this thread. I don't remember this stutter before. It also seems slower to put the widgets on the screen now after booting up. Im not sure if this is all in my head, anyone else notice similar behaviour?

I followed these instructions, I changed the name of the avi file to match.

sudo gainroot
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/default.conf /etc/hildon-welcome.d/
mv /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/maemo.avi /opt/
cd /usr/share/hildon-welcome/media/
ln -s /opt/maemo.avi maemo.avi

I did notice this after the first reboot. After the second and third, it seemed right to me.

I did notice this after the first reboot. After the second and third, it seemed right to me.
Thanks sorodoros. I have rebooted now about 5 times, and it is the same. It's taking around 20 seconds from when the wallpaper and battery indicator section appear until the widgets start popping onto the screen. They popped up pretty much instantly before as I dont have much on the screen yet, a few contacts and the weather app. Hopefully it will settle down.

Have you installed any new themes?