Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Toronto, Canada
Does anyone use car sharing like autoshare/zipcar/flexcar?
I was thinking that a custom reservation app could be useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to ilia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's one at the corner of Bloor/Spadina where I live. I've seen them around town. Aside from the basic premise, what are the details behind booking (after you've signed up and all that jazz)

My GF and I were thinking they'd rock for a quick hit of IKEA or lugging gear for a show or something. (Though I couldn't see stuffing an Ampeg stack in the back of a Mini)

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Toronto, Canada
Autoshare's web-based car reservation system is pretty good, don't get me wrong. But the interface could probably be better and quicker in a dedicated application. Here is Autoshare's UI: http://www.torontoist.com/attachment...eservation.gif

P.S. Autoshare's fleet includes a few minivans. Zipcar features some pickup trucks. Extensive review of autoshare vs. zipcar: http://www.torontoist.com/archives/2...ar_sharing.php

The Following User Says Thank You to ilia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ilia View Post
Does anyone use car sharing like autoshare/zipcar/flexcar?
I was thinking that a custom reservation app could be useful.
Well zipcar has made an app, but of course, it is only for the iphone.

link

From their faq:

Why did Zipcar create an app for the iPhone?
We keep looking for ways to make life easier for our Zipsters. When we found out that more than 25% of Zipcar members have the iPhone (and that number is growing), we knew this app would be a handy addition. Also, our developers couldn't wait to get their hands on this innovative mobile platform that Apple has created. So really, how could we resist?
Do you have anything for non-iPhone users?
If you don't have an iPhone, you can still reserve by simply visiting zipcar.com from any mobile device. Lots of U.S. smartphones (including BlackBerry, Android and more) can also locate Zipcars using WHERE, a nifty GPS mobile app.
Does anyone think we have a chance of convincing them to make one for maemo as well?

It would be really nifty, especially to use the remote unlocking, and horn honking features.

Tags
car stealing app, iphone, zipcar