Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Crogge View Post
I saw that there is a alternate way with a Linux boot CD, someone got that successful running yet?
Yes, it works with my N900. But I had a problem with custom kernel - tried to update eMMC via Ubuntu Live CD, but did not succeed.
I got the update in my app manager, downloaded and installed it. Now do not have any problems at all.
So I suggest you - if you are not in a hurry - wait for app manager to receive the update.
Regards.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Tried 3 different setups here. All fail at flashing eMMC. Gets stuck looking waiting for device.

1) Win 7, 64-bit, driver signing off: Wouldn't find N900 at all
2) Vista, 32-bit: Flashes fiasco no problem, waiting for device for eMMC
3) XP, SP3: Same as Vista, fiasco fine, won't do eMMC.

Will try yet another computer today (on which I've successfully flashed eMMC before) . Currently PR1.2 is very unstable on my N900, I really think I need to start fresh, but can't yet flash the eMMC. Pretty annoying, not using anything non-standard, bone-stock off the shelf Dells and Compaqs.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Try to update with Ubuntu Live CD.
It recognizes eMMC. I suppose that Windows OS does not recognize the file system of eMMC.
Regards.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Never, is really powerful word.

No-one has probably said that it would not work, but then again do you really think that Nokia guides that procedure just to fck with people...yes probably not. And what makes you think itīs better way to flash? Can you give some examples and results?

Also "reversable in any case" is powerful thing to say and i would never ever say something like that. For example as we have seen gsm-fw is not reversible but you can make it work by making some stuff that is not well documented. So you really really piss me off. You just say different things as facts just because you have read that some user somwhere has tried and it worked for them. I wonder how your friends like being with you mister "I know it all" (except that I can't prove anything).
You seem to really know it all don't you so ok read this then talk....
As the fw and/or emmc is NOT written to a worm or rom device in any way then it IS completely reversible as you would know if you did some homework on the schematics of the N900.
Anything we write to the N900 IS completely reversible and i don't even have to be a Nokia design engineer to know that after looking at the schematics, they were at least clever enough to go that far on the design to let it be open for development purposes so you really do need to get YOUR facts right before trying to argue with someone with over 2 decades of programming and troubleshooting experience as i base my facts on general everyday experience of past work and sometimes don't even have to think to know an answer.
Fact also that the only thing software driven that will kill N900 is a overclock situation but apart from that i don't see anything else "kill-able" by software in the device (hence the closed drivers to keep developers from doing harm).
Try to at least spell and please do refrain from making uneducated nasty comments.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
You seem to really know it all don't you so ok read this then talk....
As the fw and/or emmc is NOT written to a worm or rom device in any way then it IS completely reversible as you would know if you did some homework on the schematics of the N900.
Anything we write to the N900 IS completely reversible and i don't even have to be a Nokia design engineer to know that after looking at the schematics, they were at least clever enough to go that far on the design to let it be open for development purposes so you really do need to get YOUR facts right before trying to argue with someone with over 2 decades of programming and troubleshooting experience as i base my facts on general everyday experience of past work and sometimes don't even have to think to know an answer.

Fact also that the only thing software driven that will kill N900 is a overclock situation but apart from that i don't see anything else "kill-able" by software in the device (hence the closed drivers to keep developers from doing harm).
Try to at least spell and please do refrain from making uneducated nasty comments.
The point here is that I hereby admit that actually I really do not know much. I can speculate and guess, but to say something as fact here I would need some links/sources/documentation to back my facts.

And still I do not care that you have seen schematics. Probably nokian's have testbed where they can do whatever they want to this device. So what? Right now it seems that modem fw is not reversible with given tools. You can always of course argue that any encryption is breakable with right tools and enough resources but thatīs just academic jerk offing.Saying that itīs a fact that you canīt brick your N900 sounds just bit off. For example I have been on forums where people have bricked their cd-rom drives, GPU's, motherboards just by applying wrong FW. YES itīs possible to reverse it but not by themselves so basically they have killed their device and only way to resurrect it is to send back to vendor.

And btw. as you know this is my second language and at least I know how to put paragraphs. And please try to think even then when you thought that you do not have to think.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Well Linux was the solution to solve my problem, it worked just fine without any issues.

I write here the basic steps just in case someone else got a similar issue:

1. Get a Ubuntu Live CD (Just download the default Desktop version) and burn it on a empty CD

2. Get the .tar.gz version of the flasher from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php and download the related firmware from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

3. Move the downloaded files on a USB stick or something similiar, you can unzip already the .tar.gz file and put all files including the firmwares in the same folder.

4. Boot from the CD (You may need to set your CD drive as first boot device) and select "Test Ubuntu (Live mode)".

5. Open a terminal and linux and open your USB stick (Probably in /media/<stickname>/...)

6. Use the command "sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F <firmware-image> -f -R" to flash your device, it seems to be better if you flash the eMMC image first. Be sure that you start the flasher first and connect the phone afterwards, it will detect it just fine then.

That's it, everything worked fine for me in a few minutes.

Last edited by Crogge; 2010-05-26 at 20:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crogge For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Well Linux was the solution to solve my problem, it worked just fine without any issues.

I write here the basic steps just in case someone else got a similar issue:

1. Get a Ubuntu Live CD (Just download the default Desktop version) and burn it on a empty CD

2. Get the .tar.gz version of the flasher from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-d...-downloads.php and download the related firmware from http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N900.php

3. Move the downloaded files on a USB stick or something similiar, you can unzip already the .tar.gz file and put all files including the firmwares in the same folder.

4. Boot from the CD (You may need to set your CD drive as first boot device) and select "Test Ubuntu (Live mode)".

5. Open a terminal and linux and open your USB stick (Probably in /media/<stickname>/...)

6. Use the command "sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F <firmware-image> -f -R" to flash your device, it seems to be better if you flash the eMMC image first. Be sure that you start the flasher first and connect the phone afterwards, it will detect it just fine then.

That's it, everything worked fine for me in a few minutes.
Thanx! I might go this route. My Laptop dual boots WIN 7 x64 and Kumbutu 10.4.

The instructions all say to do FIASCO before eMMC. Why are you suggesting the reverse?

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Thanx! I might go this route. My Laptop dual boots WIN 7 x64 and Kumbutu 10.4.

The instructions all say to do FIASCO before eMMC. Why are you suggesting the reverse?
Sure, but I don't know if it works also on a 64bit Linux fine.

Well, it got suggested in this thread and other threads show that its more effective that way. Still I think it doesn't really matter much.

what will happen if disconnected after it says unable to find usb ...during emmc flash

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Sure, but I don't know if it works also on a 64bit Linux fine.

Well, it got suggested in this thread and other threads show that its more effective that way. Still I think it doesn't really matter much.
I haven't seen anyone reference an issue with 64 bit Linux. This aversion to 64 bit stuff needs to be stopped, especially from an ostensibly Geeky/Techy branch of this type of company! I haven't been on a 32 bit OS for a while.