Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
From a business POV this is gold imho
Turning past flaws ("learnings" according to Jolla) into an opportunity is the best they could do with the current situation.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...-launch-slush/

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Espoo, Finland
Pinning my hopes on Intex and Fairphone then. Hopefully either will provide an upgrade to my aging jolla. Wouldn't want to buy a phone that isn't running sailfish >_<.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toxip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I don't know, I have quite mixed feelings about the presentation.

First, the Intex going global announcement is very big! Even if some misunderstood the previous announcement and expected Intex to send the phones abroad, it certainly wasn't the case.
Supporting a new OS globally is a huge task and a challenge - every repair service center can help you with Android or iOS, whatever the manufacturer is, but training repair centers for a new OS and handling customer complaints such as "the internet didn't work, so I came to my service provider, but they said they can't help me, because they have never seen the system I'm using. I am never going to buy anything from Intex again and I'm gonna tell all my friends about it and warn them as well!" is very, very difficult.
So this is a game changer.

On the other hand, the Jolla Adventures initiative seems quite worrying. To me, it is pretty much an announcement of highest Jolla leadership leaving to pursue other challenges. All they do is borrowing the Jolla name to help their new company (is it a company?). Even JollaHQ on twitter refers to it an "Antti Saarnio et al initiative", not "Jolla initiative". If they announced they are shifting focus from Jolla, it would hurt both them and Jolla, so this seems like a creative way to put it. Or maybe I'm just too sceptical and reading too much of it...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
So, nothing today basically.
Whoops, tablet's late (we know that).
Partnership with Intex (we know that) but no announcements from them with regards to new hardware or anything.
And a startup accelerator program, which sounds great, but probably not what we're interested in on this forum.

So what of Jolla Hardware Division? Is that still a thing? Or are we just all about Intex now?
lets make fairphone heard our voice ,if we are a lot they will consider licensing sailfish i guess...

Last edited by itdoesntmatt; 2015-11-12 at 12:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
i am quite worried remembering that Stefano mosconi on twitter zzzste have been always talking about startups and new company for a long time

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Watched the livestream and I have to say I am disappointed (but unfortunately not surprised).

First of all, let me say I am not ragging on Jolla. I think their achievement in releasing a phone and tablet running their own OS has been outstanding. Unfortunately for them, they are competing against tech giants like Apple, Google and Microsoft, companies who have 100x the budget, money and resources that Jolla have. The fight was not fair, but the sad thing is that the tech industry isn't fair either.

The sad fact is that 2 years from the release of the Jolla phone, we are not in a good place. The Sailfish phone has only sold a small 5 digit number of devices and interest has completely tailed off (excluding the current users here who are eager for a replacement). The Jolla tablet has been a nightmare. Originally supposed to be available in May, the vast majority of folks are still waiting. You can tell by the comments form Jolla that getting into hardware was something they regret. At the same time though, if they don't make a device to showcase Sailfish - then who will?

I feel a little sorry for people here. Every tiny little engagement with a third party is getting trumpeted up. An off-hand comment from the Russian government, failed Yotaphone speculation, some unofficial talk with Fairphone. Nothing substantial has come out of this. The last hope seems to stem from this Intex engagement. The fact that Jolla seem to be placing the future of Sailfish into the hands of a second rate Indian manufacturer (an Indian friend of mine says Intex is even worse than Micromax) doesn't fill me with confidence. I get the feeling we will see one more Jolla phone, it will run budget hardware and although it will be cheap - it won't do enough to revive interest.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
So, what we need to do is apply to Antti & Sami's slush fund to resource up a Sailfish software development company since they're far too busy to realise that's where they should be spending their money in the first place.

Who's in? I'll draw up a pitch on this envelope here.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
if you want a better Jolla phone why not just get a Nexus 5 and use the community port? Its my daily driver, has a quad core 1080p screen and 2gig of ram. It works perfectly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Saarnio said that compared to Jolla phone the Intex phone has more ram and bigger and higher resolution screen.

http://mobiili.fi/2015/11/12/jollan-...aitekehitysta/

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
lets heard our voice to fairphone,if we are a lot they will consider licensing sailfish i guess...
As far as I understood, they're going to let the community get the port going, but step in at the end to get it over the final yard and potentially work out licensing for the HERE/Android bits, but that was a bit unclear. That's a bit of a nebulous promise to pin too many hopes on. Plus not much word about ongoing support after (if) it launches.

Plus the Fairphone 2 hardware, while admirable, doesn't really entice me much as an upgrade from the J1. 2G RAM would be nice in order to placate the android runtime and OOM killer I guess.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
if you want a better Jolla phone why not just get a Nexus 5 and use the community port? Its my daily driver, has a quad core 1080p screen and 2gig of ram. It works perfectly.
With the Android layer? Legally licensed word completion and HERE maps?
Without the Android layer, for my uses, Sailfish on J1 is just a worse version of the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla bolla