For some reason, my N800 can't resolve hostnames on my local network. All works fine on internet, though.

For example:

Nokia-N800-36-5:~# ping htpc
ping: bad address 'htpc'

Nokia-N800-36-5:~# ping 10.0.0.131
PING 10.0.0.131 (10.0.0.131): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.0.131: seq=0 ttl=128 time=96.1 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.131: seq=1 ttl=128 time=19.5 ms

(Done in root mode, and htpc is the name of one of my computers.)

The same problem applies to VNC, etc.

Any idea what is wrong?

because htpc is not defined in your nameserver?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by pbb View Post
For some reason, my N800 can't resolve hostnames on my local network. All works fine on internet, though.

For example:

Nokia-N800-36-5:~# ping 10.0.0.131
PING 10.0.0.131 (10.0.0.131): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.0.131: seq=0 ttl=128 time=96.1 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.0.131: seq=1 ttl=128 time=19.5 ms

(Done in root mode, and htpc is the name of one of my computers.)

The same problem applies to VNC, etc.

Any idea what is wrong?
Freaky. htpc is also one of my machines, and also has last octet in the IP 131!

Anyway, assuming you have a local DNS server with 'htpc' defined, the solution is to edit /etc/dnsmasq.conf and comment out the line domain-needed (put a # at the beginning). After editing and saving, /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart will probably be sufficient to make it work, although I just rebooted instead.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
How about if you use "htpc.local"? That works with Ubuntu.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by pbb View Post

For example:

This is a classic name-domain lookup failure. Can you ping "htpc.mydomain.com"? I was having this headache -- it's a kind of bizarre side-effect from using dnsmasq.

If you can ping "htpc.mydomain.com" (or whatever your domain is), then add a line like "search mydomain.com" in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

For some reason (that I'm not fully understanding yet) - if I offer up a DHCP entry for my Nokia which includes a "domain-name xyz.org", then the proper statement "domain xyz.org" appears in my /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0 file. This appears to get ignored. The workaround (without breaking other things) is to put a "search xyz.org" into my /etc/resolv.conf file .....

Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
This is a classic name-domain lookup failure. Can you ping "htpc.mydomain.com"? I was having this headache -- it's a kind of bizarre side-effect from using dnsmasq.

If you can ping "htpc.mydomain.com" (or whatever your domain is), then add a line like "search mydomain.com" in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

For some reason (that I'm not fully understanding yet) - if I offer up a DHCP entry for my Nokia which includes a "domain-name xyz.org", then the proper statement "domain xyz.org" appears in my /tmp/resolv.conf.wlan0 file. This appears to get ignored. The workaround (without breaking other things) is to put a "search xyz.org" into my /etc/resolv.conf file .....
For my Ubuntu desktop /etc/resolv.conf has "nameserver 192.168.1.1" which is the DNS provided DCHP on my wireless access point. On the tablet it's "nameserver 127.0.0.1" which is localhost.

When my laptop is connected to my access point I can ping it from the cable connected desktop and vice versa. The tablet can ping the access point but my desktop nor can my desktop ping the tablet. What's different?

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
The tablets run a local nameserver. That's why you see 127.0.0.1 in their config. If you adress devices in your home network you have to specify that domain. E.g. elara.home is my home router.

Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
The tablets run a local nameserver. That's why you see 127.0.0.1 in their config. If you adress devices in your home network you have to specify that domain. E.g. elara.home is my home router.
{hostname}.local works in Ubuntu.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Hmmm.... I don't really understand all you guys are saying... I've tried ping htpc.local, but that just comes up with the same error (bad address 'htpc.local').

I edited /etc/dnsmasq.conf and commented out the domain-needed line, and restarted the device, but that didn't change anything either.

The comments about domain name and local DNS server, I don't understand.

Maybe I should have mentioned that all my other computers are Windows XP systems, running in a workgroup (MSHOME), not domain config. However, my (Linux-driven) Linksys WRT54GL neatly lists all DHCP clients with their name.

But I'm also confused by the ping-command returning immediately with "bad address" -- it doesn't seem to even try to connect to anything. So I guess that would indicate the problem lies in the N800, not in the network config?

Anyway, I guess my main question after your comments is -- how do I figure out my domain name?

I've also noticed my N810 won't respond to pings to it's IP address but it can ping my desktop's IP, usualy with some % of lost packets. My laptop and desktop function normaly with pings, both are Ubuntu. Also unlike a desktop the browser can't find localhost or my hostname, both defined in /etc/hosts. What's missing from the N810 that makes it not function like other devices on the LAN?

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1