I have been looking into a Desktop Charger.

I would love to have one of those so I can charge my second battery and just swap-n-go.

I recently purchased one of those
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ht_2688wt_1141

but it has not arrived yet.

Does anybody have any experience with those things?

Do they stop charging the battery once it's full?

The Following User Says Thank You to quanttrom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
i'm pretty sure it will stop when full because if the battery explodes you might give them bad feedback if you survive. seller has pretty good feedback. even if it doesn't stop the battery itself might be "protected" and block the charging.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have purchased desktop chargers for two N900s an N810 and an N800, they were all incredibly inexpensive and they all worked perfectly and they are all still working today. None were branded, that I noticed.

@geneven, do you happen to have any links to the chargers you purchased?

Whenever it come in I will open it up and see what it actually does.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I have one... Actually works quite well. The LED is red when charging and green when done.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by quanttrom View Post
@geneven, do you happen to have any links to the chargers you purchased?

Whenever it come in I will open it up and see what it actually does.
In each case, I randomly googled or went to ebay and bought the first one that looked like it came from a reputable company. I unfortunately didn't keep a record of where I made the half dozen 100% successful buys.

I don't remember having seen any reports of desktop chargers that didn't work, though there might have been ones that weren't the right size. Worst case that I've seen: the purchaser lost the purchase price: a risk of about $10 counting shipping.

I just got the charger and it has a simple circuit that charges the battery up to 4.2 V. At this point it will stop charging. The charging current is limited by a resistor in series. Very simple overall.

There is a green LED that indicated that the deskcharger is powered and a red(yellowish) one is on whenever the battery is charging. Because the red and the green are on at the same time when it is charging it appears as yellowish.

The battery fit is snug on both my Japod and my original Nokia batteries. I am quite satisfied considering the price.

The Following User Says Thank You to quanttrom For This Useful Post: