Notices

so guys I have gotten rdesktop to work in my own home network when both my n810 and comp are connected to my router.. and using the ip assigned to my comp within my local network.. but, any ideas why I can't connect to it using my public IP for that comp? I've tried dyndns and such but, I for the life of me can't connect remotely over the web as oppose to just connecting in my own network.

Have you setup the router as well?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
You'll need to setup your router to forward port 3389 to your computer.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
I used this guide when I was setting up port forwarding.

whats port 3389?

Originally Posted by fast1 View Post
whats port 3389?
It is the port that M$ uses for remote desktop. If you do not forward that through your router to the computer you want to remote into it will not work from the internet.

-John

I've never had ANY luck remoting into my desktop using rdesktop, vnc, whatever. I have a wireless router which my desktop sits behind, and I've never quite seen a really good tutorial on how to set up the IP addresses for these programs, which version of what program(s) must be used, etc. I use XP Home with SP3 on the desktop. The router is a Linksys, can't recall the model # (may post it later, it has a silver case). I know ports must be forwarded and I have done that, but it never made any difference. I kind of figure that one setup must be used when you are on the same private network (both tablet and desktop on the same side of the router) versus from outside remoting in from some other network, maybe from a hotel or other hotspot. Can anyone help me out, get me going on this?

Originally Posted by heelio View Post
I've never had ANY luck remoting into my desktop using rdesktop, vnc, whatever. I have a wireless router which my desktop sits behind, and I've never quite seen a really good tutorial on how to set up the IP addresses for these programs, which version of what program(s) must be used, etc. I use XP Home with SP3 on the desktop. The router is a Linksys, can't recall the model # (may post it later, it has a silver case). I know ports must be forwarded and I have done that, but it never made any difference. I kind of figure that one setup must be used when you are on the same private network (both tablet and desktop on the same side of the router) versus from outside remoting in from some other network, maybe from a hotel or other hotspot. Can anyone help me out, get me going on this?
It is all about the firewall setup. I use Remote desktop into my home, I use VNC into my work and SSH to both.

You have to use different setups on the tablet for network connection as opposed to WAN connections (internet) because the address you connect to would be different (well I suppose you do not HAVE to but why go outside and then back into your router when your already inside...)

the big thing is forwarding the proper ports to the proper ip-address and allowing the connection in any local software firewall you might be running. The key would be forwarding the port however.

make sure (for RD) that you have port 3389 forwarded to whatever computer you want to remote into (from the internet) and then connect to the external address of your router (http://www.whatismyip.com/) and you should be good. for more specific instructions you need to let me know what equipment your using.

I'm still not having any luck on wan connections.

I made sure ports are open. I made sure my firewall (on my computer and my router) allow this port to be open. I made sure its forwarded to my computer in particular. I use dyndns to retrieve my ip.

Still no matter what I do I can't rdesktop to my vista box. I have even checked to see if my computer is listening in on the proper port so that when I try and log on it will actually go through... nothing works.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Turn off the firewall. Use this free service https://www.grc.com/x/portprobe=3389 to "probe" your ports. It should say your port is open. Then turn on the firewall, and rerun the test. It should still be open.

If the test says it is closed, you have a problem. I have a "smarter" router. The port stays closed until a program requests it. For example, my port xxxx is open on the router, but it is "closed" to the probe. When I start my uTorrent, the port automatically opens. This may be your problem. I had problems using Wake on Lan over the internet because of this stupid behavior. The workaround was to use Intel Active Management (its an always on webserver, even when shut down) to trick the router into opening a port.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.