Notices

Thanks fatasaint

I <3 maemo and the community!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would really like to see something like mypaint ported to the N900. I would love to see the wider range of brushes and pressure sensitivity... Hmm, come to think of it, does the N900's touch screen have pressure sensitivity? I haven't found any apps that use it!

Gimp in Easy Debian LXDE works reasonably well once you go through the long and torturous set-up phase (putting your menus on one desktop and your drawing on another)...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's a couple of screenshots of Gimp in LXDE on my N900 with a little freehand drawing thing I did:

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I noticed that it is responsive enough while drawing a stroke (look at the wobbly little lines from my unsteady hand), but if you stop the stroke and you start another one, you need to wait a second; it seems to need a second to do something, maybe save undo information or something...

But Gimp certainly has the full range of brushes and tools. That's nice, being able to draw with fuzzy lines, fill with gradients, or use layers or whatever, right on the handheld.

How well does Gimp run?

I'm thinking adjusting leves on photos and such.

Thx.

Did anybody try some port/hack for (one of) the latest MyPaint on the N900? (maybe easy debian?)
Doing a quick search I didn't find anything regarding N900 and MyPaint, only thread I found is for OS2008..

The Following User Says Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
Did anybody try some port/hack for (one of) the latest MyPaint on the N900? (maybe easy debian?)
Doing a quick search I didn't find anything regarding N900 and MyPaint, only thread I found is for OS2008..
It's on its way - successful build yesterday (this late due to dependency on python-numpy which was uploaded to extras-devel lately)
Some issues left:
- ui
- strange pressure readings from gtk (seems like they are inverted)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
here it is...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41807

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikefoxtrot For This Useful Post:
Hello! I installed Easy Debian today on my N900... I must say I'm rather surprised from the speed of the LXDE used, and from the fact that the Gimp is almost usable for me. The only problem I have is with pressure sensitivity... It's not working, and I would love to know if anyone succeded in using pressure sensitivity in gimp yet.

Pressure sensitivity on the N900 appears to be broken altogether (see Bug 8435).