Notices

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Argentina
I've already ported the command line client for Telegram, now I'm working on a GUI build on top of this client for the N900.

This build it's really in its early stages, so don't expect much functionality.

Implemented features
  1. Chats window
  2. Contacts window
  3. Basic send and receive text message with "checks"
  4. Some notifications
  5. Portrait for contacts

To be implemented
  1. Multimedia messages
  2. Contacts managment
  3. User registration
  4. Emojis
  5. Portrait for contacts
  6. Better interface design
  7. ......
  8. ....

How to install:
  • Download the file from Here
  • Extract TelegramN900.tar.gz to /home/user
  • Install requiered libraries (libconfig, libreadline, libssl)
  • cd /home/user/TelegramN900
  • ./TelegramGui
  • The command line client runs in the background, you can issue commands from there too
  • If it's the firs time you run the telegram client, you can follow the instructions on the command line to register

Last edited by NerdKnight; 2014-09-09 at 03:06. Reason: Added instructions to install

The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Nice, might have a look at it. I liked their FAQ, clean words all over. I never used Whatsapp, nor other similar craps, because of closed source and zero privacy.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Sounds very Maemo to me!
Any app that makes encryption easier and snooping more difficult is good for freedom. The NSA already distributes crypto gear for NATO type countries, we want our own gear.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
can you make an github repo for project? i want to get it working for harmattan with QML UI

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NerdKnight View Post
I managed to compile Telegram command line client for the N900. Some libs in Fremantle are outdated so I had to make some changes in the code and use gcc 4.8 in order to compile it. Here you can download binaries and modified source code.
Next step: try to make a GUI.
good news, keep going and let us know if you'll make GUI )

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
This is hardly better than Whatsapp itself. It's still one server, managed by one company, who gets access to all phone numbers in your address book.

Use Jabber dammit, not only it is an actual standard, it's even builtin in the N900...

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
This is hardly better than Whatsapp itself. It's still one server, managed by one company, who gets access to all phone numbers in your address book.

Use Jabber dammit, not only it is an actual standard, it's even builtin in the N900...
I would gladly use Jabber, but whastapp became a standard over here, I'm forced to use it. At least telegram looks more concerned about privacy, and it's open, but you're right, they still have a db with the phone numbers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by NerdKnight View Post
I would gladly use Jabber, but whastapp became a standard over here, I'm forced to use it. At least telegram looks more concerned about privacy, and it's open, but you're right, they still have a db with the phone numbers.
Yeah, but being forced to used Whatsapp does not imply being forced to use Telegram or any other similarly closed service

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Yeah, but being forced to used Whatsapp does not imply being forced to use Telegram or any other similarly closed service
I think Whatsapp gained it's popularity because you don't need a new id to add your contacts (the phone number is used as id) so if people are to migrate they would choose some similar app.
I agree with you, I care about privacy, buy nowadays when there are companies that have a lot more sensitive information about you (like fb, g+, etc.), the phone number seems not a big deal.
Anyway my motivation to do this port is just the personal challenge it represent and making an app useful to someone and my beloved N900.
By the way, If you or anyone have an idea of making an app fully open that could replace Whatsapp or other similar apps I'm glad to collaborate

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NerdKnight For This Useful Post:
NerdKnight, any news about GUI?

The Following User Says Thank You to murik For This Useful Post:

Tags
spyware, telescam