Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Firefox is going after Nokia's bread and butter: Feature Phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QnIskIc3EY

Ah, Nokia, if only ...

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Andoid pretty much already took the bread.

Firefox can have the butter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Firefox on lowend yes means Nokia lowend RIP and Nokia deserves it because they was stupid killing meltemi.

But for mid/highend html5 only is just broken overhyped crap.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-12 at 20:14.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
But for mid/highend html5 only is just broken overhyped crap.
From the perspective of someone who spends a lot of time on web development... html5 on any mobile platform is great. In fact its great for everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
From the perspective of someone who spends a lot of time on web development... html5 on any mobile platform is great. In fact its great for everything.
Rrreally? I was webdeveloper, and I got sick of the speed of HTML5 development and they way it was done. (not using XML by default is just inexcusable, for example) Also, HTML is general simply sucks or application-like development. It was meant for text, and for that it's fine. But doing easy layout, consistent GUI elements, easy GUI development and interacting with the rest of the platform, that is still a disaster. And no relief in sight.

And low-end devices running Firefox? Hm. Yeah I guess at some point in the future even low-end devices are capable enough, but that point isn't now.

I like Firefox (it's my primary browser, since Opera went Dark Side with Google) but Mozilla only makes a hammer, and declares everything else a nail.

A well. Even the N9 can run web apps thanks to Hydra, and so will Jolla. Even if Mozilla gains some traction with their platform, it will most likely run just fine on my devices

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
For me, the best part about HTML5 is the <!DOCTYPE html> :P
I have never had any issues with it though

The Following User Says Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
Firefox OS, low end Android or Windows Phone can not compete with Symbian.
Look for the Nokia 701! Fast, cheap and powerful.
Nokia, you are stupid!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diogotrc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by diogotrc View Post
Firefox OS, low end Android or Windows Phone can not compete with Symbian.
Look for the Nokia 701! Fast, cheap and powerful.
Nokia, you are stupid!
From the POV of someone who's had the misfortune of having done some development on Symbian, I do not mourn its demise at all. Like thalidomide, it may have its use but I wouldn't touch it.

The same goes for Windows Mobile. My experience was with WM5 but that was bad enough to spoil it for me for ever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Firefox on lowend yes means Nokia lowend RIP
Until low-end "smartphones" has battery life measured in days instead of hours then for many people they will not be replacing a "featurephone".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
For some webapps YES, but seriously using HTML5 is broken in many ways. As soon as a server is down the app is non functional.

also the fact that HTTP is mostly done as a one way communication protocol makes it less good in many ways. Also it makes we wonder why on earth people needs triple core CPU:s smartphones if 'everything is about HTML5 this days' why do we need that when HTML5 will make apps dogslow cause the app constanly have to request data from the cloud?

No, seriously HTML5 may work in many ways but there are alot places it will not work.

Thats why I say its overhyped. But developers are lazy this days and dont want to learn more low/midlevel programing languages and thinks HTML5 is soooo good for everything.

Not even in university in sweden they learn anything less than Android SDK and HTML5 but nothing about lowlevel embedded Start make me wonder why the hell people bother to ask why europe going down when the answer is obvious....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
firefox os, nokia