Posts: 293 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Al Quds, Isawiya
port to n900!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N900L For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by N900L View Post
No way i'm gonna switch if Maemo is clearly more complete & all i want the other way around (having Maemo on better hardware).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Yeah, right. It was a very classy move from HP. I don't expect Nokia to even consider matching it.
do you know what will be open sourced and what not?

at least I didn't found any specific info about it. and IMO one should have learned a lesson from maemo, open source and closed blobs required for running the OS in real hardware.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
do you know what will be open sourced and what not?
Not in any great detail, no. Enyo has specifically been announced in the press release, "along with a plan for the remaining components of the user space".

Personally I would be very very interested in seeing the service side code opened, so I can finally use the "cloud"y features of the OS on my terms.

and IMO one should have learned a lesson from maemo, open source and closed blobs required for running the OS in real hardware.
Obviously things like GL drivers and such to which HP don't own the rights won't be opened. It does look like they want people to run this on real hardware (as opposed to emulators on a PC) though: they're having a new touchpad sale to give out all remaining stock, and they just released WebOS 2.2 for the Pre 2, something they have very explicitly said wouldn't happen before.

There's a lot of information missing right now, but I remain cautiously optimistic ;-)

Edit: some more info here. Read the whole thing, sounds like they really mean it.

Last edited by lma; 2011-12-10 at 14:03.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Are we talking printers? Or tablets and phones?

Meg: In the near term what I would imagine — and this could change, in full disclosure — is I would think tablets, I do not believe we will be in the smartphone business again.
Link to the Source

So, in this case my interest is below zero. I need a pocketable device with 3G. For a tablet I'm able to use MeeGo, Tizen, Ubuntu, Android or buy a iPad. Why would I need a additional operating system for a tablet? I use it for surfing the web and a browser is included in every model at the market.

Steve Jobs was really smart. During the announcement of the iPhone he was very modest and said even only 1% marketshare would be enought to make profit. And 1% was a doable target. If it is more it would be fine.

1% marketshare for a open source WebOS device with decent Hardware like a N9 in a N900 package sounds for me very doable. But perhaps I should had studied business economics to understand the big plan behind such decisions.

Let's move on... noting to see here.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by N900L View Post
Yeahh, pleaseeeeee!!!

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
No way i'm gonna switch if Maemo is clearly more complete & all i want the other way around (having Maemo on better hardware).
Is there any chance maemo could be booted on Pre 3? This would have better specs AND hw keyboard.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I'm loving webOS right. About to drop android for it.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by helex View Post
Link to the Source

So, in this case my interest is below zero. I need a pocketable device with 3G. For a tablet I'm able to use MeeGo, Tizen, Ubuntu, Android or buy a iPad. Why would I need a additional operating system for a tablet? I use it for surfing the web and a browser is included in every model at the market.

Steve Jobs was really smart. During the announcement of the iPhone he was very modest and said even only 1% marketshare would be enought to make profit. And 1% was a doable target. If it is more it would be fine.

1% marketshare for a open source WebOS device with decent Hardware like a N9 in a N900 package sounds for me very doable. But perhaps I should had studied business economics to understand the big plan behind such decisions.

Let's move on... noting to see here.
You're missing the whole point. It doesn't matter that HP isn't going to use it for phones. GREAT. There hardware wasn't fantastic anyway. It sounds like the whole thing is going open source... that makes it ALL OF OURS. The community will finally have a fully open mobile OS that will be developed in the open in the open source spirit, unlike Android. Think of what this will mean... imagine, in the future, users no longer being locked in to running a particular OS on a particular phone on a particular carrier. They can pick their hardware, then load the open source WebOS onto it! No ads, no Carrier IQ spyware, no carrier bloatware, no lockdowns, no restrictions, and just like Bryan Lunduke, formerly of The Linux Action Show, and an N900 owner, lamented on one of his last programs, no dependency on a company (like Nokia or HP) for the OS living or dying - just like Linux!

This is incredible, amazing, wonderful, joyous news! Back when Nokia announced the switch to WP7 I suggested WebOS was the remaining viable Linux-based solution... things looked grim when Apotheker punted with the tablet so it could fail and he could try to convert the company to a services firm, but Whitman has turned things around! Nothing to see there? It's the dream of Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo/Tizen finally going to realized in WebOS! It's going to be the world's first and only non-corporate-controlled mobile OS that's also real Linux. I don't know how much more amazing you need news to be before you declare there's something to see.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
There are still a few possibler roadblocks:

Device drivers
Even if they release source of the whole OS, it is unlikely they will release source for all of the device drivers as its often provided by third party hardware vendors. Even if they did the very unlikely and did release the driver source code, it would cover just the current WebOS devices - porting to other devices would still be hindered by missing drivers.

GUI Toolkit compatibility
WebOS uses Mojo and Enyo for most of the apps - both is html & javascript based and will be likely opensourced. there is also SDL (even with PyGame support !). Other than that there is currently no support for other toolkits like Qt, GTK, Clutter, EFL, which might be putting off some developers that don't want to learn yet another technology usable only on a single platform.

Still, this this one can be probably solved by the community once the source is released, but might be hampered a bit by the fact that WebOS works directly with the framebuffer, without running an Xserver.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
open source, webos