Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Make sure it's authentic! Look for a made in finland sticker somewhere around the back (where the battary goes) also another good way to check is to take a picture and see if it's really 5mp and high quality, and make sure it's running maemo (watch some videos on youtube and compare).

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by late666 View Post
Make sure it's authentic! Look for a made in finland sticker somewhere around the back (where the battary goes) also another good way to check is to take a picture and see if it's really 5mp and high quality, and make sure it's running maemo (watch some videos on youtube and compare).
The N900 is made in Korea rather than Finland, so a "Made in Finland" label should ring warning bells.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I remember only first 300 N900 prototype was made in Finland. Isnt it true?

btw, is there any way to check its authenticity by IMEI number?

Last edited by Aranel; 2009-12-06 at 14:49.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
I remember only first 300 N900 prototype was made in Finland. Isnt it true?

btw, is there any way to check its authenticity by IMEI number?
yeah, afaik, only pre-massproduction-units were made in finland.

Dead pixels are extremely hard to spot since they are very very small each. I just noticed a dead pixel myself and i will return it because of it. It is almost no bother but nonetheless.
Best way to spot a dead pixel is on a black screen. Weird enough i believe with laptops this is the other way around.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I hope my late Amazon order from Sept is from the second batch... Hell, I hope it arrives!
How far out is Amazon? ...and I'd assume they won't be shipping any of the Finland but Korean made ones. Although ... the second batch... heck I may just wait until they are in stock at Amazon before placing an order.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
they ARE in stock. I preordered in late Sept. Not sure why they're still not here yet. Don't get me started.

Me too nov the 10th and still waiting for newegg

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I wish the DFW Maemo users would get together and go to Irving and stage a protest in front of the Nokia offices here about this preorder fiasco. It is really being swept under a rug.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Australia
Hi everyone,

I’m getting a friend of mine to purchase the N900 for me from UAE, and I’d like him to test the phone to see if it has any problems before he brings it to Australia for me. The problem is he’s not much of a techie, so I’ll need to explain how he has to check the phone in layman’s terms. This is just to be safe, so that I don’t get a defective unit when it’s already in my hands.

Based on what I’ve searched around the forums, he should look out for:

1) microphone – test to see if it works, can make phone calls, other person can hear him clearly

2) reboots – play around with the phone to see if it randomly reboots?

3) dead pixel test – use the link http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html or http://jasonfarrell.com/misc/deadpixeltest.php

Is there a concrete way to check the reboot problem, besides what I mentioned above?

Did I miss anything else? I’m specifically looking for faults that is covered by warranty (ie hardware, not necessarily software). If I did miss a thread listing all these faults, do point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Tags
battery, checklist, device, hardware, microphone, n900, out of box, phone, problems, screen, test