Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The judges are debating... it seems qwerty12's response is quite controversial... The Russian judge is shaking his head... The German judge is waving her hands... The Lithuanian judge is pulling the memory card out of her N800 and putting it back in, and the American and British judges are looking at their N800s, squinting and turning their heads sideways...

After a last burst of whispered debate, it seems the judges have come to an agreement... Yes, qwerty12's comment was fair! The point goes to qwerty12!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Now why not: a daemon which polls the list of running processes and sets performance governor when openoffice and/or a list of other stuff are active, or ondemand when no program from list is running.
Wish I were literate enough to start coding :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Now why not: a daemon which polls the list of running processes and sets performance governor when openoffice and/or a list of other stuff are active, or ondemand when no program from list is running.
Wish I were literate enough to start coding :-)
Great idea; like you, I am a hacker, not a coder...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Qole, your /sbin/cpu-perform script ends with
Code:
echo '' >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Is it a bug or there is a reason for those quotes?

My thought was that scaling_governor = "null" was supposed to "lock-in" the last CPU setting.[1][2]

But it looks like '' does not equal 'null', and it is ignored anyway. If you "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor" after running the script, it is set to "performance". I'll try with the next version of the Easy Debian scripts to get that one right; it should probably be 'null' instead of ' '.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
please make that auto slide lock cputweak thing an OPTION.
I run in performance all the time and slide my keyboard in and out very often.

I might want it locked when closed up, but I might (and usually am) using the device to build and compile and there is a VERY significant difference in build times ondemand vs performance.

its for this exact reason that I never released acmonitor with a very similar patch included: on charge==performance, on battery=powersave

As for battery duration, remember that on the default "ondemand" the cpu still fires upto maximum speed when required anyway, "performance" simply saves the ramping up difference, when tasks need the speed its there.

I don't run out of battery even staying at performance, but I dont leave my cpu pegged all the time.

I only ever run out of battery when my wifi is left on, and the cpu settings dont touch that.

Tags
debian, openoffice