Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Did you also copy image from a working mmc? So far, I have to say, not a soul has done it, i.e., using the tablet to clone 2008Os onto the Mmc/SD card. If somebody has done it, please post. I, myself, has not been able to do it.

bun
Yes I have cloned it from a working MMC to a brand new MMC, from internal to external, from external to internal. I have also cloned the flash image to both MMCs. What we should have done is at the end, after we have had the tar file from somewhere, is just mount the place we want to clone the OS and tar to it! (umount, mount, tar the second target!)

Just let the IT work! Walk away from it !

Last edited by nhanquy; 2008-01-19 at 20:47.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Got new Transcend 8GB, partitioned to one >6GB fat32 + 3x512MB ext2 (4 partitions in total), cloned second partition from old card to new one via tar and it boots fine. Will try booting from other 2 linux partitions later.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
how DIFFICULT to "cloned from old card"? Can I try? I am still waiting for my 8G replacement and I also ordered a 16G for $65 from newegg.com. I think I would try to clone from my working 4G card too. I do have a Linux box, the ASUS EEE, TIA,

bun

Happy ending, I did it, it now boots from 8G SDHC int mmc2. Thanks for nhanquy, Genius Fanoush and Wonder Milhouse. Nhanquy PM me and made me tried it , and it worked.

Problem, Adata 8 G SDHC card requires a low level format before Milhouse's script (Mil, mind to edit your instructions so that user dont have to kick and scream to have it succeeded? Thanks)

Instructions for those who already have succeeded 1G or 2G OS clones but stuck on 8G or 16G, i.e., you already have everything you needed but stuck on the last step, here are the steps (based on Milhouse script here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=8631)

1) low level format your 8G card (or 16G), http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=10417&page=2, thread #15; http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
dl and install this on PC, the panasonic low level SD formatter (v2.0.0.2), then format your 8G card using option "Full erase ON" Format size adjustment "OFF", it will take more than 5 min to low level format a 8G card. Quick format will NOT work.

2) xterm/sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk0p1
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,7000,0C
/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:
reboot
This gives you .9G/7G partition.
Directly from Milhouse, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1635#post81635, thread #49. Change above partition to suite your need.

3) xterm/sudo gainroot
cd ~/bin
./nupgrade.sh 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and that is ALL!

enjoy

Edit: 16G SDHC successful. My current system,
2007.50-2 16G boot/8G KDE/N800.

This is for those still sitting on the fence about MMC boot: from diskUsage,

/rootfs - used .5G Free - .9G for a total of 1.4G
/mmc2 - used 0G Free - 14.7G for a total of 16G
/mmc1 - used 7.8G Free - .1G for a total of 8G
(sfdisk -uM first row: 0,14400,0C gave 1.4/14.7G, I think it is excess, I would recommend change that to 0,14900,0C to put more space back to storage. 1.4G app installation space may be a waste of space)

.9G space for app installation is the major incentive for MMC boot.
Using Milhouse scripts, I have successfully cloned/boot 2007.50-2 to 16G/8G/4G/2G/1G. Only the 16G/8G requires the low level format.
The 4G/2G/1G goes stright with Milhouse's script.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-02-17 at 23:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Bun - OK - After beating my head against the wall with an 8GB PQI card.... I popped in a 2GB... and presto. Easy as pie.

Tried the LLF on the 8GB card to no avail... (gave error message re: hdw did not support flash erase).

Should I take additional steps to reformat?

Anyone out there have Dual boot working on a PQI 8GB card?

Thanks
NATE

Humm I think im having the same issues as you NATE card doesnt want to partition correctly does it (have PQI 8gb also) followed all the steps just doesnt help (gave up after 3 tries)

But will look into since another user is having same issue

Binjinx - Makes me feel a bit better too to hear that you're out there. The preliminary and secondary steps seem to go fine, but then you go for that first reboot.... And it won't boot from the card.

It's wierd - tried the panasonic low level formatter they mention on the forum and no better results.

It seems the partitions are created (as I noticed Windows would only read the FAT partition) but no go. As I said before, the 2GB kodak branded SD, worked so easy that I'm down to blaming the card....

I knew I should have gone for the ADATA card (I think I saved a couple bucks getting the PQI instead)

NATE

Anyone with a working 8GB PQI MMC boot?? Let us know how you got there!!

Originally Posted by Natehunderd View Post
Bun - OK - After beating my head against the wall with an 8GB PQI card.... I popped in a 2GB... and presto. Easy as pie.

Tried the LLF on the 8GB card to no avail... (gave error message re: hdw did not support flash erase).

Should I take additional steps to reformat?

Anyone out there have Dual boot working on a PQI 8GB card?

Thanks
NATE
This is the thread of different cards that have been succeeded with MMC boot, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16067

__________________________________________________ ____

Adata Turbo, 16G, succeeded after LLF, failed without LLF.
Adata Turbo, 8G, succeeded after LLF, failed without LLF.
Adata Turbo, 4G, succeeded without LLF
Adata 4G, micro in mini adaptor, succeeded without LLF

Dane-Elec, 4G, succeeded without LLF

Kingston 4G, micro in mini adaptor, succeeded without LLF

Patriot, class6, 16G succeeded without LLF (Dan)
Patriot, 8G, succeeded without LLF (nhanquy PM)

Sandisk???

Transcend class6, 8G, succeed without LLF (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=14637&page=2, #18; #22); worked for a while then die suddenly, suspect card problem, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=ghost&page=3, #21.
__________________________________________________ _____

The above are all SDHC. Any card bigger than 2G are SDHC? I used mostly Milhouse script. I did try the Wiki by enterring commands one by one,
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...from_mmc_card/, no dice, same results, failed if no LLF. So far, 2G/Kingston and 1G/Adata have been straight clone, no LLF needed.

__________________________________________________ _______

I dont have the panasonic LLF in front of me. I remember flash erase on/off does not matter, as long as it is NOT the quick format, i.e., a format takes 10+ minute is the one you should use. I also checked the table above, PQI has not been reported. So, you would be the first one . You can do 1G or 2G MMC boot, you would be able to do 16G after the LLF. BTW, the LLF should give a successful format message, not error message. I did it on a windowPC running Vista.

Post back if question,

bun

Dan here.

If you would not mind a little assistance.
I'm trying to dual boot from an A-Data 16gb sdhc card and I've done it successfully with Transcend cards in the past. I'm trying to spilt the card by partitioning 10gb for internal and 6gb for external. last time with Transcend I did 5gb internal and 11gb external successfully.

I keep getting after doing sfdisk:
"The command to re-read the partition table failed Reboot your system now, before using mkfs."
"If you created or changed a Dos partition, /dev/foo7, say, then use dd(1) to zero the first 512 bytes: dd if=/dev/foo7 bs=512 count=1
( See fdisk(8).)"

can you write out the no-reread command line or the sfdisk command line for me or refer me to where I can read up on this for n800. Google only brings up non n800 ways.

I have used Panasonic low level reformat successfully.

It goes through the entire nupgrade.sh steps successfully. I end up with only one partition, external with 5gb and no internal. Also I do: " umount /dev/mmcblk0p1 " Before command line " sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM ". I've also out of frustration tried: " umount /media/mmc2 ". When I originally did this process after the three( ,,, ) commas command the total storage copacity when would be correct. Now the total storage capacity is off by about 500mb after: " /dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,, ".

Update: I tried with another card, so I know it's not the card. I reflash and did the whole process again and still end up with only 5gb on external. Very frustrated.

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited by dan; 2008-04-16 at 21:26.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I keep getting after doing sfdisk:
"The command to re-read the partition table failed Reboot your system now, before using mkfs."
can you write out the no-reread command line or the sfdisk command line for me
There is no such command. This "command to re-read the partition table failed" is because the card is 'locked' by the system, somebody has still something opened on the card. Either some partition is mounted and/or you have swap enabled or file opened in some application.

Best is to open card door (or battery cover for internal N800 slot) before doing something with sfdisk or mkfs. Once door is opened system will try to unmount the card and will not touch the card so sfdisk or mkfs can be safely used and should work. Or you will see system dialog about card being locked when opening the door. If you see it, don't continue with sfdisk but close door and try to close applications or otherwise free the card and try again

It is better to do the open door,sfdisk,mke2fs,mkdosfs,close door phase in one go without reboot (and without "The command to re-read the partition table failed" message of course) to avoid the card corrupted message from File Manager after reboot.

Too bad this cannot be used for internal N810 card.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.