Active Topics

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
If the future of N900 exist then I am sure that Skype would have better integration in the coming time.

Originally Posted by flailingmonkey View Post
...colnago, the N900 only has an option to add Skype usernames to a Contact, either to Skype call or Skype IM that user. For phone numbers, it makes a new button when selecting the contact (but not entry to edit in Contact details) with the same details as the regular phone numbers. While other Skype clients allow saving phone numbers, the N900 already has a way to store a number for a contact, so it is using that instead.
Not quite. I posted a step by step, along with screenshots, for creating a Skype entry in a contact, which is both configurable, and capable of maling calls to the PSTN. This entry can be manually selected from the dial pad via the "Call Type" button. You are "not" limited to the default Skype entry created by the 900s contact mgmt.

All timwatt has to do is setup his contac(s) like this ("Skype Call" field being the closest to the desired effect):

Last edited by colnago; 2010-05-19 at 03:48.

Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
Just out of curiosity nermaljcat, what data plan are you on here in Australia?
Sorry, it has been a while since I checked this thread =)

I use Virgin Mobile prepaid.. buy phone credit in blocks of $15-50 top-ups which can be used to buy 300M of data for $10. At this rate, 3G data only adds around 1-2c/min for a skype call (done some testing).

When at home or a friend/relatives place, I just use wifi - so the call is usually only around 2c/min (skype rates) - even to US cells. There are connection fees involved (though they are much less than the Virgin rates) and calls to AU cells are around 20c/min (costs less to call a US cell from AU - go figure).

I find I only use around 50-60M/month data on Skype calls and occasional surfing, so this month I'm trying 50M for $5. The data expires 1 month after purchase, so I'm better off topping up mid-month if need be.

...still costs $0.25 per SMS... is there any way to send an SMS from my N900 using Skype?

Originally Posted by timwatt View Post
skype as it is on the n900 does not exist on any other platform - ie. as it is on the n900 is a game changer. - just because nokia is the first to integrate skype into the phone as a native and transparent application, dosen't imply it wasn't done before because it was imposable. I don't care for other platforms because they don't provide a functioning phone replacement. from your comments I see you don't use "skype in" and "skype out" so you haven't experienced how revolutionary this all is, and how crippling it is if you cant use your phones native contact list to call on skype out.
If you read my previous posts, I confirm that I use Skype to successfully enter additional digits, when making PSTN calls to navigate automated menus (e.g. Press "1" for Accounting, Press "2" for HR, etc). Menus I administer as a VoIP engineer. I have a working Skype Out account on my 900.

The problem with your reasoning is that you fail to accept the fact that the "pause" feature is not working anywhere within the Skype infrastructure. So why should it start working on the 900 now? It is Skype which ultimately performs the call routing and either processes or discards those digits. Nokia can code all they want, but if Skype's severs/trunks can not process the call, then any software changes on the phone are moot.

Nokia took it apron themselves to fix a bug that required all contacts to have "+" in front of the international dialling code.
this in my opinion was a mistake - as skype requires in all other incarnations you dial numbers beginning with a "+ international dialling code". this is catering to user error, in my case i am not making a mistake it is the address book that is passing the wrong info to skype and that is nokia,s problem. and i don't want you to get worked up about it.

Your comments can't help the situation by vilifying me and holding nokia up on a pedestal. the fact is +1555 666 7777p123 dials on GSM but not in skype.

Real world tyre analogy Firestone and Ford = Ford is for the most part responsible for Firestone tyres.
Again, your analogy is not applicable to the situation, if Ford is somehow responsible for Firestone. In any case, my point was that Nokia is not responsible for Skype, and vise versa, much like Ferrari is not responsible for Pirelli. Nobody is putting Nokia on a pedastal, I'm just trying to get you to understand that Nokia is NOT the place to go to get this issue resolved. However you seem intent on not accepting this fact. Skype calls and telco calls are (2) different things. Skype "as a whole" is not setup to process "pauses".

The best you're gonna get is following my suggestion, so at least the main number is dialed automatically.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Just installed 1.2 on my n900 and tested skype video, wow fuzzy but 2 way video is 100% supported.

my contacts with skype accounts (the little green dot next to there name) are no longer viable.

it also supports blocking contacts.

my question is how do i call a skype contact? (i can IM them, call there number with skype, but i cant call there computer)

any ideas?

If i send an sms to some one on the pc and then login on my n900 i get these messages as a IM message like they were send to myself. also try to open them gives an error that it failed to open the chatbox

...my question is how do i call a skype contact? (i can IM them, call there number with skype, but i cant call there computer)

any ideas?
A "Skype to Skype call"?

1. Log into Skype (press the clock on the 900, press the "Availability" button, select "Online", then press "Save".

2. Open the contact that you want to call.

3. Press the "Skype Call" button, with the contact's name...not the "Call with Skype", button, with the contact's number.

I use very often skype on my N900 and after pr1.2 with video calling. I can anly say that it is a dream that became real.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
You just want to "Add a field" in the contact..scroll down to "Skype" field:

...and just leave out the extension/extra key presses from the field, and enter manually, once the call connects.

When you make a call, the extra key presses will still be visible/saved under the normal cellular call field, "so you at least know what they are":

This doesn't seem to work. I get a message "Unable to perform operation. Internal error." when initially saving a phone number into the Skype field and when trying to use the "Skype Call" button