Active Topics

Ok, so I've just found there is also the word "prize", which is quite different from "price", even though it is one word in my language. Life is still full of surprises, thats good

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ İstanbul - Turkey
I think I will be joining this competition in Games category. I considered making a space-shooter, but I don't have any good spaceship models, so decided to make a retro shoot-em-up. It'll have Geometry Wars-like graphics(because they're easy to make ). I hope I can finish it in time, being lazy sucks

The Following User Says Thank You to Optln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Has the competition has begun? So people have 4 weeks from now to submit their application?

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Has the competition has begun? So people have 4 weeks from now to submit their application?
May 21 to July 21 sounds like 8 weeks.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
May 21 to July 21 sounds like 8 weeks.
LOLOL. Why did I read it as June 21st. =P

Anyways, I've written an article about this competition on a site that I'm an editor at in hope that it gets more exposure.
http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2010/05/nokia-n900-maemo5-coding-competition-win-a-paid-trip-to-dublin-ireland/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicola.mfb View Post
I did not forgot the wish list, and planned to put it on the wiki page (qgil suggested to use the wiki), just need a bit of free time
I've got an idea for a game to add to that list when it's up.

Is there already anywhere some documentation about the various ways of accessing all the wonderful hardware features of the N900? It really has so much potential, but difficult for a beginner to know where to start.

Maybe the wiki page could include information about development resources as well as this list of ideas for the competition?

The Following User Says Thank You to witchole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
LOLOL. Why did I read it as June 21st. =P
Because the tilte says JuNe!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dof250 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dof250 View Post
Because the tilte says JuNe!
lol yes, you're not going crazy jakiman The original date was June and everything had to be changed now since the date has been extended. I emailed a mod on Friday to change the title, still waiting for him to get around to it. Oh and thanks for making the article on Capsule Computers, very well written!

witchole, have you tried the development wiki on here? http://maemo.org/development/ It's actually a treasure trove of how to access the features once you get used to clicking around it

OK now I got loads of questions to ask everyone
  • I don't think we got any more ideas about splitting the bounty up. Do we want bounty % prizes for category winners (1st, 2nd, 3rd), or top X apps, mixture of both, none at all.. ?
  • What is your definition of a beginner?
  • How about a competition committee (say, 5 people) who'll be called in to help determine if an entry is in the wrong category and where it should be moved to?

While we wait to hear if there's any movement on a maemo.org paypal account being set up, im soon going to go through the thread and start adding those who have pledged into the bounty to the first post. There's a lot of posts so if I miss you out please let me know. Also, if you can't commit any more we understand, times can change, just let me know and I'll remove your name from the list. You can also pledge 'anonymously' if you like, just pm me and let me know. And please keep the pledges coming, the more we collect the more we can award out!

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-23 at 11:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Will be possible develop an application with Qt 4.6? or will not be released yet at the end of the competition.

thanks!

Originally Posted by acano View Post
Will be possible develop an application with Qt 4.6? or will not be released yet at the end of the competition.

thanks!
Million dollar question, huh? i think we're all looking forward to pr1.2 but only Nokia know when it's due to be released. IMO it should be out long before the competition ends, so don't be afraid to get started on your app - it'll not go to waste

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun