Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
@juiceme

You don't notice any difference in usage when the device uses suspend mode. Every phone normally enters suspend mode. the Nexus5 ports kernel don't has the bluetooth sleep feature, because it caused trouble on some devices. But me and some others haven't noticed any side effects when it is enabled in the kernel, apart that there seems to be another bug that bt doesn't enter suspend mode automatically. So either you do this manually or use minimecs script, or stop the bluetooth service completely if you don't need it. To check if your device is affected by the problem just check suspend time with 'mcetool --get-suspend-stats'.

@HendriXXX

My kernel have some features like more cpu and hotplug governors, undervolting, under/overclocking of GPU and CPU and some more things that are common in many custom kernels for android.

Code:
Changelog

v1:

- Undervolting
- blu_active governor
- blu_plug hotplug governor
- simple GPU governor
- USB fastcharge v1

v2

blu_plug kernel

- added slim cpu governor
- added nightmare cpu governor
- added zzmoove governor
- added pegasusq governor
- added lionheart governor

kernel without blu_plug

- same as above, but without blu_plug hotplug governor

v3

- ConservativeX cpu governor
- bioshock cpu governor

kernel without blu_plug

- same as above, but without blu_plug hotplug governor

v4

Maybe i accidently skipped a number or it was so experimental, that it never got released ;)

v5

- Mako cpu hotplug governor
- Alucard cpu hotplug governor
- MSM Sleeper cpu hotplug governor
- Zen Decision cpu hotplug governor
- Blu_plug cpu hotplug governor can be enabled/disabled via sysfs now,
  so only one kernel build this time.
- MDSS color control
- faux wcd93xx sound control
- ARM Neon support and Neon support for some crypto algorithms

v6

- FIFO, FIOPS, SIO, TRIPNDROID, VR and ZEN I/O scheduler
- backlight dimmer option
- Westwood+ TCP congestion control 
- USB fastcharge v2
- double tap 2 wake
- Optimized build flags

v7

- CPU overclocking up to 2.9Ghz
- CPU underclocking down to 96Mhz
- Undervolt limit of 650mA lowered to 500mA
- GPU overclocked to 650Mhz
- Kernel and Ramdisk are now LZ4 compressed(should give a slightly better boot time)
- LZ4 cryptographic api added

v8

- Reverted fast charge back to first version due to slow charging
- Added msm_mpdecision aka "bricked hotplug" cpu hotplug governor

v9

- Updated wifi drivers
- Added partialresume API
- Added Powersuspend
There is also a version of v9 which has bt sleep mode enabled in kernel and could be used with minimecs bt script.

Kernels are flashed in recovery like the sensorsfix. Sadly i never wrote a complete guide on how to set up all different features in sysfs, so you have to search through this thread.

EDIT: Added the relevant posts to the changelog, so no need for searching anymore.

Last edited by mautz; 2017-03-02 at 18:40.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
@mautz

Thanks! Have to try your kernel someday.

What is that system monitor program/script you are using? Where I can get it?

The Following User Says Thank You to HendriXXX For This Useful Post:
It's rinigus SystemDataScope.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
@mautz: Thanks for your kernel summary. So v9 is the latest and contains all the potential goodies from those before but what configuration are you recommending for good battery life and how to activate? Mine is getting worse and worse, can't handle a day anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
@mautz: Thanks for your kernel summary. So v9 is the latest and contains all the potential goodies from those before but what configuration are you recommending for good battery life and how to activate? Mine is getting worse and worse, can't handle a day anymore.
Install the latest v9 kernel(the one that is linked below the changelog table) and install minimecs bt sleep script. After an hour of usage, check with mcetool if you device suspends properly.

Another good idea is to undervolt(some people posted there results in this thread, so you could use their values as a starting point) and limiting the highest frequencies to 1.4 to 1.8 Ghz. You can also save power by limting the GPU to 320Mhz. If you are not interested in playing around with CPU governors just use conservative governor. And you could try out msmmpdecision hotplug governor like is described in the post where it was introduced to let your phone use only 2 cores most of the time. Setting these things up needs a little bit of time to find a good balance between battery usage and performance.

Read this post from minimec if you want to make your changes permanent: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=225

But maybe you need to replace your battery, the Nexus is a quite old phone now in terms of battery.

So, definetely worth and easy to do is get suspend mode working and use conservative cpu governor, and see if this give you some improvement.

If you don't need bluetooth, you could test this without flashing a new kernel. Disbale bluetooth with 'devel-su systemctl stop hciattach.service' and enable conservative cpu governor with ' devel-su echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor' and see if this gives you some improvement. After a reboot everything is back to normal.

Last edited by mautz; 2017-03-03 at 07:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Install the latest v9 kernel(the one that is linked below the changelog table) and install minimecs bt sleep script. After an hour of usage, check with mcetool if you device suspends properly.

Another good idea is to undervolt(some people posted there results in this thread, so you could use their values as a starting point) and limiting the highest frequencies to 1.4 to 1.8 Ghz. You can also save power by limting the GPU to 320Mhz. If you are not interested in playing around with CPU governors just use conservative governor. And you could try out msmmpdecision hotplug governor like is described in the post where it was introduced to let your phone use only 2 cores most of the time. Setting these things up needs a little bit of time to find a good balance between battery usage and performance.

So, definetely worth and easy to do is get suspend mode working and use conservative cpu governor, and see if this give you some improvement.
I would lock GPU to 200 MHZ it's enough if you do not play. Also it's good to disable 2 cores. Is there such an option in your kernel?

Also please can you share your setup with us? I am interested in CM13 base.

Read my finding here about aliendalvik gapps issues on base CM12.1 They are not present on CM11 base. I think we must modify aliendalvik android packages to work with CM12.1 libraries

Can i use CM11 base on SFOS 2.0.4.13 or 2.0.5.6? I am locked to SFOS 1.1.29.8

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=172

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
I would lock GPU to 200 MHZ it's enough if you do not play. Also it's good to disable 2 cores. Is there such an option in your kernel?
You could use msmmpdecision hotplug governor and easily configure it to only use 4 cores when the other 2 cores are on high load for a specific time.

Also please can you share your setup with us? I am interested in CM13 base.
What do you want to know?

Can i use CM11 base on SFOS 2.0.4.13 or 2.0.5.6? I am locked to SFOS 1.1.29.8
I never used the cm11 port myself, maybe BluesLee has more information, since he started the cm11 thread.

And by the way i wasn't able to get AlienDalvik working on cm13, but i didn't look much into it. But thanks for your hard work regarding AlienDalvik

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
And by the way i wasn't able to get AlienDalvik working on cm13, but i didn't look much into it. But thanks for your hard work regarding AlienDalvik
I wanted to know this. So no aliendalvik on Base CM13. Are libraries aliendalvik uses in there?

Will you be publishing your setup? CM13 base and SFOS version for it?

The Following User Says Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Yes, i'm looking forward to release it when 2.1 gets official and i have sfdroid running.

The libs are all there, there was some error creating the chroot.

I do not know what's wrong with my phone but i could never update to 2.0.5.6 on my nexus 5.

Tried OTA from 2.0.1.11 from 2.0.4.13 nothing worked.

I know this guide http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=366

but when it gets stuck and i reboot it never turns on. How did you upgrade to 2.0.5.6 on Nexus 5 guys?

The Following User Says Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid