Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I have both written this text and made the crest to honour those who have kept maemo alive and been loyal to N900. Both of my doings are imperfect as I myself. As is also the Header of the thread which I don't know how to edit. Bare me.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-01-29 at 18:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
The Legend of the Black Knight, N900 and Maemo CSSU.

Written with N900, the names in the story translations from finnish.

The world had fallen into darkness. Darkness had reached the furthest parts of the earth after the once so powerfull kingdom of Smutchia, which had been the greatest on earth, had fallen. But everybody had seen it coming. It was no suprise after what the king had done.

There had been troubling marks in the air for some time. Enemies had been gathering their troops by the borders of Smutchia and people had heard about battles everywhere, seeing their greatest carriers of the flag being carried as wounded back from the frontline. Everyone was afraid, just waiting when the borders of the kingdom would be crossed by the enemy. When everyone had lost their hope and dispair had taken a strong grip on each heart, there suddenly rose - as it seemed - from nowhere, The Black Night!

Knight had armor never seen before, undefeadable skills, and power that could not be challenged. He was clearly born to be a leader, the one to carry the flag of Smutchia before their troops! People had hope again! Their were sure Smutchia would be saved!

But the hope didn't last long. Knight had one thing that caused a problem: he was not to bow down before the king. He was ready to fight for the kingdom - but as a free man. He didn't want to be controlled by the king, neither did he wan't to spy the people and support a throne that was ready to betray the people and deny their right for privacy. It was known that some other carriers of the flag had worked for the throne as spies, but that was something the knight would not do, ever.

Soon the king understood that he could never have the Black Knight as a loyal servant of the throne and he could not tolerate anyone disobeying him. King also became alert because he noticed that the knight started to get followers - as disobedient as the knight himself. King did not see any other option than to get rid off him. In secrecy from the followers, the king sent his assassins to kill the knight and burn his body. When the morning came, only thing the followers could see of the knight was the tombstone on top of knights' ashes, saying: "Here lies the remaining ashes of N900, the rebel. May there never come another one like him".

When people saw what the king had done they were furious. They had put their hope and trust on the knight, worked hard with him for the best of the kingdom, fought the enemy by his side, and now the king had undone their every deed and thrown away all their achievements. Riots awoke, people gathered behind closed doors whispering what could be done. No one wanted to serve a king - that stupid - anymore.

When king noticed that he had lost peoples respect and loyalty he panicked and made another mistake that would become the deathstrike for Smutchia. Because he no more trusted his own servants or advicers he turned for help to another kingdom, which had been whispering promises of help to his ears. King invited a counselor from that other kingdom, wellcomed him with a triumph and promised half of his kingdom if the counselor would raise him and Smutchia to their previous glory.

For to be able to help Smutchia, counselor Livinglop said he had to have full power and control over everything in Smutchia. The king obeyd and had it announced to the whole kingdom. Straight away counselor Livinglop ordered both the followers and successors of the Black Knight to be unarmed and captured. To keep them armed would only be waist of time, work and money. Only the weakest of Smutchias carriers of the flag were to remain in the battlefield, securing their frontiline and borders.

It didn't take long before the enemy heard about it. Easily they took down the carriers of the flag, without them being of any real challenge, crossed the borders of the kingdom and took over Smutchias capital. When that happened, counselor Livinglop escaped with the most of the remaining wealth of Smutchia with him. Too late the king got his eyes opened and understood that the other kingdom had all the time been his worst enemy, laughing at him behind his back, the counselor being just a trojan horse. King should have understood by the name of that kingdom how hard its leaders were and that they had minimal intrest of showing softness to anyone. King crawled to the deepest chamber of his castle, closed the door and was not seen since.

That was how the world ended up under darkness. Soon after that, without having anymore a strong leader or kingdom with rightheous codes of conduct, the world fell in chaos and everyone started to live on a gray area. No one cared anymore what was right or wrong, people were just trying to get as much as possible for themselves. The ones who had taken the land under their power used spies to gather information about people, which was then used to manipulate people to give their money to them or to serve them as slaves. Some were dragged from their houses when spies got enough information to suspect them to be rebels.

Most people just gave up and didn't care anymore about anything - but not all. There was still a small group of followers of the Black Knight. They never accepted that N900 would be gone forever, even though his grave was right before their eyes. They practiced in secret the skills the kinght had taught them, everyday passing the final resting place of the knight giving a secret bow, showing their loyalty and respect to their one and only true leader.

That loyalty, that respect, that hope and love was so strong that Mother Earth (Maa-Emo in ancient finnish), could not leave it unnoticed or without a reward. She let the spirit of the followers to put a beat to one heart that had been stopped since the beginning of the world, just been waiting in the world of magic and mysteries something noble enough to be seen among humankind. The creature started to form itself from the ashes of the burned hero, underneath the tombstone. Those who walked by started to shout in astonishment when they saw the stone moving. People started to gather around the place, followers of the knight among them.

At last there came a terrible shriek in the air when the ancient birdlike creature, the Phoenix, rose from the ashes of the knight. Everybody fell on the ground when it spread its wings and took off, having a big white egg in its claws. High it rose, getting its strength from the spirit of the followers, even though at that moment all they could do was just watch, barely being able to believe their own eyes. When the Phoenix reached the sky, it looked down - and dropped the egg! Faster and faster it came down untill it hit the ground making it tremble so hard that the tombstone was cut in half. The egg cracked by the hit and from the remains of it stood up - The Black Knight! Some people started to cheer shouting, some bowed down humbled by the glorious presence of the one they honoured so high.

The Black Knight went before his loyal followers, drew his sword and said: "Kneel down, you loyal ones! There are no one who earns to be knights as much as you my friends".

From that day on the sky started to clear up and darkness to faid away. Black Knight started to form a new kingdom around his loyal followers. Rules were written on tabula rasa, none of the former hideous scripts, codes or condacts left. Opennes was the new sourcecode of conduct, the driving force for the growth of the kingdom, it to be build stable and trustworthy. There were still battles between other kingdoms and swords needed to have bleeding edges once and a while, but the kingdom had now come and it was there to stay. All the backdoors, which spies had been using, were closed, and the community kept watch that no new ones were made.

And glorious the kingdom became, led by the Black Knight, who was not anymore as powerfull as before compared to the enemies who had got time to strenghten themselves, but who was still victorious with the support of the knights of the newly formed order, The Holy Order of The Knights of the CSSU.

This I, a mere servant and scribe, have written to honour all those who were loyal, who did not give up, who practiced their skills in secret, who shared their knowledge to all who came to seek from them truth, honour and freedom. This I have written, so that no one would forget, and that no one would give up loyalty or hope - ever. When you find yourself in your darkest hour, when it seems there is no hope or light, just remember the Legend of The Black Knight, N900 and Maemo CSSU. It's legacy rules forever: Light always conquers the darkness, and loyalty is always rewarded.

Your humble servant,
Maemish of Finland

The Unofficial Crest of Maemo

http://www.swagman.org/juice/crestofmaemo.jpg

Thanks to juiceme for sharing his storage.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-01-30 at 19:04.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
I can take a better picture but someone else needs to put it here cause I don't have any online storage from where to share. I can send the better picture to someone if there is will.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
This is great! Thanks
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Oh, man... That is truly epic, thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Marvellous, I really am enjoying this tale!
And thanks for the crest; let's see what @endso has to say about it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
I've tried my best to edit the text more readable and correct the errors. But not being native english speaker, when I write fast according to what I hear in my head, the mind uses the first word which sounds right when pronounced, and there comes the typos: witch instead of which, ones instead of once and wise versa, two instead of too etc. Bare me if they are still left.

The text has changed quite a bit since the first post.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-01-30 at 08:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Terribly sorry ...
I would have written earlier, but I have been working the last 2 days straight (still am working in fact.)
And have had in rest so far...an hour nap.
And I still have another 7 hours to go.
So my brain isn't firing on all cylinders.

So pardon my bluntness.
Prose ...out of me ...at this time is too much for my brain to manage.

Great story.

As far as the crest goes.
Good concepts capturing the fundamentals of maemo and community, decently executed.

In the end, click and paste looks too clean and sterile and false.
Glad you did it by hand.
By hand with all its flaws, mistakes, natural and accidental, there always are lines or brush strokes that are perfect.
Hence a more appealing harmony is present .
A perfect line is a natural one.
Since in nature there are no straight lines.
So humans being inherently natural...
Our eyes find distaste and abhorrence in artificial constructs.

That is as deep as my brain wants to explain

You went and done good... Maemish.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Sigh, now I can breath again. Have hold it in from the first post to the last edit, waiting for your judgement. The tension in my head was almost unbearable, I have not been able to work well cause I constantly checked if already... Thanks endsormeans. I would really like to send you a proper picture cause this does not right for it what it looks like in real life, at all. This looks like a crappy drawing, instead of shining in gold and silver as in real life. The yellow in this picture is gold in real life, which makes a difference, as well as seeing it more sharp.

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-01-30 at 09:45.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
ach..
my judgement?
stressing over my appraisal and what I think?

NOW you are pissing me off Maemish.
Judging work isn't me.
Judging people for who they are isn't me.
(However getting royally pissed off at others behaviour to one another or to myself .. and vocally saying so , can sometimes be me...accepting and listening to well meaning criticism of me is also important a balance..and not an easy one )

Judging and opinion are 2 different things...

I gave my opinion , what I felt and think , personally. "I liked it"

Judging is arbitrary such as the statement "It stunk, it sucks, it's good, it's bad" ..it isn't an opinion , just a coarse statement of judgement that isn't meant to reflect a personal view, but impose a universal view.
Judging sucks ...(which is a judgement on judging ) hahaha

I most certainly do not wish any kind of influence, where another is anxious to such a degree. and I am a prime reason for it.

Like most others here.. and in my immediate offline life,
yours and fellow members opinions are important to me ...yes.
Your view of me positively of me is important to me ....yes.
and your view negatively of me is just as valid and important to me..
But no opinion good or bad or neutral trumps any other.
Any other approach on the topic of " the importance of the opinions of another" leads to ruin for someone inevitably...in one form or another.
Soooo...just quit that sh#t now....please and thank you.
No need to be anxious about my opinion of you or what you do.
I am not that ..that.."base" a person/

My opinion stands "I liked it" ...now calm down, have a drink and chillax

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-01-30 at 11:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Tags
community, maemo