Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There are several Bluetooth profiles that are not officially supported in Maemo 5 (e.g. BT keyboards) but are however supported by the upstream BlueZ project or can be made to work with some simple hacks.

There is an initial wiki page documenting them: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

Johan Hedberg, lead BT developer in Maemo Devicves and BlueZ maintainer, will have a session about this topic in the Maemo Summit. Marcel Holtmann and Luiz von Dentz, both BlueZ maintainers familiar with Maemo, are attending as well.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There are several Bluetooth profiles that are not officially supported in Maemo 5 (e.g. BT keyboards)
Is there a definitive and more detailed list of which profiles are supported, beyond http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/ :
Bluetooth v2.1 including support for stereo headsets
and http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications :

# Bluetooth version 2.1
# Bluetooth profiles: HFP, HSP, A2DP, AVRCP, FTP, OPP
keeping in mind that most bluetooth profiles are asymmetrical (for example does OPP support mean sending, receiving or both)?

There is an initial wiki page documenting them: http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles
A nice start :-) Some previously-supported things I'd like to see added:
  • DUN client
  • HID/HIM integration (setting BT keyboard layout, shortcuts etc)
  • Generic SPP (Carman, using an external GPS receiver etc)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
SPP is something I need - but PUSH is already using it - apparently the Arduino + Bluetooth will talk without hacking the n900. Either it is included in the current distribution (and note HFP uses something like SPP for config and caller ID), or it should be added to the unsupported wiki.

I would love to see a working PBAP (Phonebook Access Profile) bluetooth profile to be able to use the N900 with my car.

I guess this might be a feature that others might need too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spynexes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Spynexes: Feel free to file an enhancement request in bugs.maemo.org (and vote for it) once the final Fremantle version has been released.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
Spynexes: Feel free to file an enhancement request in bugs.maemo.org (and vote for it) once the final Fremantle version has been released.
Should that be in Brainstorm?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Also an option - I thought it's quite specific, but fine with that too (especially for finding a solution)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry Spynexes for the confusion due to the still lack of agreement between Bugzilla enhancements and Brainstorm http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...024#post336024

Brainstrom is probably more suited to formulate a problem, propose and vote possible solutions, discuss here at Talk...

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There are several Bluetooth profiles that are not officially supported in Maemo 5 (e.g. BT keyboards) but are however supported by the upstream BlueZ project or can be made to work with some simple hacks.
What does this mean in practice? Does the support just need to be activated in a configuration file, or does someone need to do some serious coding to make the bluetooth profiles a reality.

This is really important for me because I use a BT keyboard a lot when taking notes and there's no sense in getting a device that doesn't support it.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
What does this mean in practice? Does the support just need to be activated in a configuration file, or does someone need to do some serious coding to make the bluetooth profiles a reality.

This is really important for me because I use a BT keyboard a lot when taking notes and there's no sense in getting a device that doesn't support it.
You only need to activate the hid profile in '/etc/bluetooth/main.conf' and restart the Bluetooth system, dunno if Nokia will provide a GUi alternative for that, if not I can make one, since I've something similar in my app already.

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post: