Active Topics

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
My Proposal I promised.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...827#post348827

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
The problem is some devs don't want any real connection to the maemo.org community in the way using forums, mailing lists, garage, wiki, blog, bugzilla, and other maemo.org services.
Its bad some people wont get in when they do a lot.
The discounted devices are obviously an incentive for developers to continue developing, but also something of a reward for credible community involvement from non-developers... for someone to develop an application only to then refrain from all and any involvement with the community suggests they're not entirely deserving of a discounted device, or even seeking to obtain one.

The guys at Nokia/Maemo can't track everyones involvement within the community, and to be honest I think they've done a good job so far of trying to capture as many metrics as they have. However from reading this thread I get the impression that some people think involvement here, at t.m.o, is the be-all and end-all of community involvement and is sufficient to obtain the latest device with a pretty decent discount. Sadly they're mistaken.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2009-10-16 at 19:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The discounted devices are obviously an incentive for developers to continue developing, but also something of a reward for credible community involvement from non-developers... for someone to develop an application only to then refrain from all and any involvement with the community suggests they're not entirely deserving of a discounted device, or even seeking to obtain one.

The guys at Nokia/Maemo can't track everyones involvement within the community, and to be honest I think they've done a good job so far of trying to capture as many metrics as they have. However from reading this thread I get the impression that people think involvement here, at t.m.o, is the be-all and end-all of community involvement and is sufficient to obtain the latest device with a pretty decent discount. Sadly they're mistaken.
I agree with you guys I'm just trying to show people the correct way to complain if they want to get something done.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
First, thanks to Nokia for the invite. I think it's great that they've invited regular contributors (not just developers, who are very important, but also to, essentially, people who are likely to be "evangelists", which I do try to be when it comes to Maemo (really, look at some of my engadget, umpcportal, and pocketables posts)).

However... for _me_ this may not turn out to be the best deal. There's a _rumor_ that T-mobile is going to be starting a "spread your payments out over 20 months" program ... and finances around here make "$30/mo" much more attractive than "$400 right now". Yeah, I know, I pay more in the long run. But we just had pay cuts where I work, and I'm spending a big chunk of cash right now to move my girlfriend here from TX. Coming up with $440 by January 1st isn't likely.

That said ... if I know I wont be able to take advantage of the deal ... is there some way I can pass my discount on to someone else? Either:
  • directly pass it to someone, or
  • give it back and nominate who will get it, or
  • just give it back, but with the knowledge that someone else will get it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post

If you feel like some people have been left out and you have an idea on how to include those people who don't use maemo.org services make post proposing the method on picking those people get people talking about it and maybe it will be approved.
My suggestion Someone should run through the top 50-100 apps; make a list and then make sure they are on the invite list or got a device at the summit. I'm _willing_ to put my money where my moust is and to make this list if Nokia will use it. (I know about the downloads page; is their any other places to get stats on popularity?) But I'm not going to bother working on a list if all it will be busy work.... I have enough busy work making creating deb pkg configs for the fremantle port of Rapier.

Nathan

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
What I was saying is that by using pure Karma, they did exclude Anderson. Let me repeat it again; by using PURE KARMA as Quim outlined in the first post; they DID EXCLUDE ANDERSON. Clear? Fortunately he got it because of other reasons, and I suspect his team had them long before we even knew what they looked like. ;-)
Right. And this is why there've been a variety of programmes! A large number of user-facing developers got prototypes in order that Extras could be seeded for the launch. The summit attendees. And there are other programmes that neither you nor I are aware of.

I'd guess this is one of the final ways (apart from hoovering those up who should've attended the summit but didn't). This is to fill in the cracks, not the other way around!

I just want to make sure they don't overlook one last area of Developer goodwill.
As I say above, if a developer feels hard done by, email Quim & CC the council explaining their position. Extrapolation, wailing and gnashing of teeth on tmo by people other than those developers isn't helpful. At best, it's misplaced altruism. At worst, it's FUD; as people will think that there are developers who feel left out and are going to storm off from Maemo development.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Well, I managed to create a valid account at forum.nokia.org and add my store profile.

It insisted on a Salutation, but limited the choices to Mr, Ms, or Mrs. They're Miss-ing a few, but I won't go further.

Thanks Quim and Nokia. I may wait and see the US street price though, but I really would like to get my hands on one and run the hardware.

(You have the SDK with Xephyr, but not a brick with dual cameras, gps, bluetooth, etc. not to mention illumination and temperature sensors, pressure, dimming, or an easy way to add them to the PC emulation).

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
The easiest method to get your karma rating it to goto:
http://maemo.org/profile/view/mountainx/

Assuming mountainx is your "maemo.org" login name. (which it apparently is not -- I just tried). Whatever your username is on the main maemo.org site is what you want to put into the "username" spot.

Nathan.
Now I know what that thread about this site not being user friendly meant

Error 404: Page could not be found.
The requested URL /profile/view/mountainx/ could not be found on this server.
Even I do not have any idea how to find my way around maemo.org. That's really weird.

If I can't even find my way around the site (or collection of sites), I guess I have no business asking what my karma is... but still, I'd like to know.

Do I need 3 accounts? talk, garage and maemo.org?
I just created an account on garage. Don't think I had it before. However, that account will not allow me to log in to http://maemo.org. It says invalid username or password. The password is correct and the username is lowercase. So I definitely consider this to be un-user-friendly.

EDIT: make that 4 accounts because I just had to create one at forum.nokia.com.

Last edited by MountainX; 2009-10-16 at 19:27. Reason: linked

My suggestion Someone should run through the top 50-100 apps; make a list and then make sure they are on the invite list or got a device at the summit. I'm _willing_ to put my money where my moust is and to make this list if Nokia will use it. (I know about the downloads page; is their any other places to get stats on popularity?) But I'm not going to bother working on a list if all it will be busy work.... I have enough busy work making creating deb pkg configs for the fremantle port of Rapier.

Nathan
Only problem I see is that some people don't use Downloads, and some people don't even use maemo.org repos so some people might still be missed.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I'd say that if you've made any kind of popular app and haven't found thousands of bugs to report you're a pretty lucky guy.... (or have low self-esteem! that happens, too).

IMHO, I have to agree with those who say the barrier to entry is surprisingly low enough. So low that with only my first "discovery" I made in this community (gvm sd cards) I got nearly a third of the required karma for the device....

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: