I wish the non-topic stuff could be left out of this thread.

There are still some real, unanswered questions here (which probably got lost in all the noise): The Forum Nokia registration insists you register as a company, with several fields of company information (and Province, which it insists on as well..) - obviously it's possible to fake all this, but a more reasonable procedure would feel better. And using 'non applicable', for example, doesn't work because the company has to be unique, apparently.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Just use your name - ie. self-employed - for company

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Let me recap on something important here. This specific step in the N900 device program is aimed at strong maemo.org contributors, mainly OSS developers but also many non-developers involved in other areas.

Free software development and community involvement should be fun and worth in itself. If it's not then don't do it. It's voluntary work after all and the choice is yours.

If someone needs to wait for a device program to evaluate whether the community effort is rewarding or not, then there is something wrong here.

The N900 through Forum Nokia has other improvements. Indeed, the FN store can't deliver to Russia, but basically the rest of the World is supported. Remember how painful this was in previous occasions. I'm fine trying to find solutions for the Russian citizens in that list.

I'm also quite amazed about the tone in some comments about the devices loaned to Summit participants. These are pre-production devices and 300 people got the priviledge to have them without signing any NDA before any regular customer, just for attending a registration free event! Core maemo.org contributors and developers presenting a session were given the chance to be there with travel and accommodation sponsored.

All this costs money. If you think it was easy to pull this budget in these times for a maemo.og actiity like this, then perhaps you need to think more.

Anyway, we keep learning and hopefully we will be more efficient next time.

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think the 300 euro price is awesome for those who live in europe, but slightly less 'surprising' for those with access to the american store.. based on what the preorder prices available to them from online retailers.

Anyway, I'm not complaining Thanks Nokia!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
It's funny that Nokia can't ship to Russia, but there will be a Nokia organized N900 meet up in Moscow?

http://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/n900meetup/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Was the email sent to everyone with 200+ karma? I don't think I got the email.
I didn't get an email either and I have 210 karma.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Let me recap on something important here. This specific step in the N900 device program is aimed at strong maemo.org contributors, mainly OSS developers but also many non-developers involved in other areas.

Free software development and community involvement should be fun and worth in itself. If it's not then don't do it. It's voluntary work after all and the choice is yours.

If someone needs to wait for a device program to evaluate whether the community effort is rewarding or not, then there is something wrong here.

The N900 through Forum Nokia has other improvements. Indeed, the FN store can't deliver to Russia, but basically the rest of the World is supported. Remember how painful this was in previous occasions. I'm fine trying to find solutions for the Russian citizens in that list.

I'm also quite amazed about the tone in some comments about the devices loaned to Summit participants. These are pre-production devices and 300 people got the priviledge to have them without signing any NDA before any regular customer, just for attending a registration free event! Core maemo.org contributors and developers presenting a session were given the chance to be there with travel and accommodation sponsored.

All this costs money. If you think it was easy to pull this budget in these times for a maemo.og actiity like this, then perhaps you need to think more.

First of all, PEACE

Second, many people want to start development (it's good for you, I quess ) and SDK sometimes doesn't allow it. Sometimes it's of course the matter of programmer knowledge, but sometimes it's really SDK issue. And it's normal, that after hearing about new devices available now, people are a little irritated, only a little . Yes, there was Summit, but please note, that sometimes joining it was not possible for some people.

And I hold you to your promise about learning Maybe it would be possible even to speak about some FBUS/PHONET details and making real import application Who knows

Third, PEACE, PEACE, PEACE and don't worry

Last edited by marcinw; 2009-10-16 at 16:12.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It's funny that Nokia can't ship to Russia, but there will be a Nokia organized N900 meet up in Moscow?

http://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/n900meetup/
There's a reason why it's a meet up!

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Forum.nokia.com refuses to recognize me - although I reregistered as it suggested.

It says Service is temporarily unavailable if I go back,

The credentials you provided cannot be determined to be authentic. if I try to log in, and

Sorry, the username you gave us was not found in our database if I request a new password.

Is the forum broken? (I tried from two different computers with different browsers)

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Personally I was just trying to say, it may have been a better Idea to push the free devices (pre-production) to the developers, and hand out coupons to the summit attendees.

Obviously I do not understand what is involved in pre-release devices being distributed, but you were able to do it in some manner at the summit. Optimally we want as many developers with devices in hands before sales start.

I am sure there was a good reason for the way you did things, my guess is marketing? From way out here it seems rather goofy?

Now there are several people eligible who seem to be voicing they cannot afford a device, although some I have seen already got a loaner.

Personally this device program will not get me a device any quicker. Although I signed up for the developer program, I will not be using that until I see what happens in the carrier market. I can't see spending $450 with a developer discount, if I can get one from T-mobile for $200 with a contract extension, or another carrier.

In the past this has not been an issue, as there were no real incentives to wait, because nobody was subsidizing the internet tablet's.

You some what alluded to it also, I would assume that a karma over 200 does not mean you get one, it means your eligible to get one. correct?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: